PDA

View Full Version : Deep PitT Turkey

jestridge
11-21-2010, 05:41 PM
I built a small pit yesterday 27" x20" dia. Anyway have anyone ever done any kind of deep pit cooking, not a lot out there on it. What I need to know is what you wrap it in . Alum foil, burlap, newspaper or what. Actually the way my pit is design you would have to wrap it but I'm afraid If I don't I be digging up a crispy critter. According to the net Ca/ Texas use to be big on this type of cooking BTW do you know how hard it is to find a burlap sack???

Crazy Harry
11-21-2010, 05:48 PM
BTW do you know how hard it is to find a burlap sack???
feed and seed doesn't come in gunny sacks any more. you can find burlap at yardage stores or arts and craft stores.

landarc
11-21-2010, 06:05 PM
We used to wrap in burlap, also some folks used banana leaves. Foil will protect it from dirt, but, will not add the moisture needed like wet burlap or leaves.

jestridge
11-21-2010, 06:12 PM
Does the meat get any smoke flavor when wrap in burlapor cotton cloth???

landarc
11-21-2010, 06:15 PM
No, it does not. If you want smoke, a deep pit is probably not the best answer, at least the way I learned to do it.

jestridge
11-21-2010, 06:21 PM
What I have read it not actually bbq but I have ate beef that was pit cook and it was wonderful. Also thinking about doing a deer ham and see how it turn out after all we are cooking trational turkey and other meat , not depending on the pit meat.

landarc
11-21-2010, 06:51 PM
I have had pork, goat and mutton from a pit, I would eat the goat and pork again. I can't quite understand why anyone wants to cook mutton to accentuate the mutton flavor.