PDA

View Full Version : 22lb turkey on WSM

samfsu
11-20-2010, 08:16 PM
I wasnt able to get two 12 lbers so can any tell me if doing a 22 lb on the WSM is a bad idea? I already checked and it will fit but I am concerned it will turn out bad. Also how long at 300? I figure 6-7 hrs.

miamirick
11-20-2010, 08:26 PM
ive always heard that over 12 lbs is bad cause you dont get out of the danger zone quick enough not exactly sure of the numbers but i think you need to be passed 120 in 4 hours and with that bid bird it cant be done at low temps

Saiko
11-20-2010, 09:00 PM
I've never done one that size, but I'd try to keep your temps at 325 and up. According to this chart: http://homecooking.about.com/library/archive/blturkey7.htm
a 22lb un-stuffed turkey is going to take around 6 hours at 325.

I'd avoid using sugar in your rub if you are going for high temp, and you may have to cover some areas in foil if they get too dark.
Sounds like a fun cook, post some pics!

bigabyte
11-20-2010, 09:24 PM
I did a 25 pounder in my WSM last year. I cooked it at 350, and it took longer than I anticipated, but other than having to spend about an extra hour cooking, it turned out just fine!:thumb:

Midnight Smoke
11-20-2010, 09:30 PM
Maybe it is just me but every Turkey I have ever cooked has always been done well before the estimated cooking time chart (cooking temps verified). This is with oven or BBQ.

I always cook unstuffed. As far as safe and danger zones when BBQ'n that really has no bearing as long as you cook it at normal oven temps.

The danger comes with larger Turkeys and smoking at lower temps, a 12-14 lb bird is the best for smoking.

jestridge
11-20-2010, 09:31 PM
According to the so call expert you don't suppose to go over 12 lb.

Midnight Smoke
11-20-2010, 09:31 PM
I did a 25 pounder in my WSM last year. I cooked it at 350, and it took longer than I anticipated, but other than having to spend about an extra hour cooking, it turned out just fine!:thumb:

How long did it take?

Midnight Smoke
11-20-2010, 09:32 PM

Who's Dat?

bigabyte
11-20-2010, 09:36 PM
How long did it take?
Well, my memory is dicey, but I'm pretty sure it took between 5.5 and 6 hours at 350. I remember it took an extra hour because we had to delay dinner for it, and I remember we were an hour behind. I cooked 4 birds last year, and the other 3 went as planned..just that big one took longer.

bigabyte
11-20-2010, 09:37 PM
Cooking a turkey at 325 in your smoker is just as safe as cooking one in your oven at the same temp. You can cook birds over 12 pounds in your oven, and your smoker. The problem is if you want to smoke at low temps like 225-250. But why would you want to do that? Turkey absorbs smoke flavor easily. It does not benefit from low and slow cooking in any way. It is a lean meat, and does not have much connective tissue. It is better suited for roasting than low and slow. Cook it the way the bird was meant to be cooked, that's what I say!:wink: Just do it in your smoker and enjoy the benefits of smoke.

Saiko
11-20-2010, 09:50 PM
Cooking a turkey at 325 in your smoker is just as safe as cooking one in your oven at the same temp. You can cook birds over 12 pounds in your oven, and your smoker. The problem is if you want to smoke at low temps like 225-250. But why would you want to do that? Turkey absorbs smoke flavor easily. It does not benefit from low and slow cooking in any way. It is a lean meat, and does not have much connective tissue. It is better suited for roasting than low and slow. Cook it the way the bird was meant to be cooked, that's what I say!:wink: Just do it in your smoker and enjoy the benefits of smoke.

What he said.

samfsu
11-20-2010, 10:12 PM

How long did it take u

samfsu
11-20-2010, 10:15 PM
Thanks all. Can't wait to do this. Worst thing will be me ordering pizza if it goes really wrong lol

Midnight Smoke
11-20-2010, 10:16 PM
How long did it take u

Quote:
Originally Posted by {Midnight ☼ Smoke} http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1462981#post1462981)
How long did it take?

Well, my memory is dicey, but I'm pretty sure it took between 5.5 and 6 hours at 350. I remember it took an extra hour because we had to delay dinner for it, and I remember we were an hour behind. I cooked 4 birds last year, and the other 3 went as planned..just that big one took longer.