PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Day Dilemma (timing)...

newie
11-19-2010, 09:16 PM
I will be cooking this year's bird on the UDS, and I also want to serve a couple fattys as well, so you can see where this is going.

Any ideas on how to make this happen? I want to cook the fattys 225-250, and the bird 325-350. Any input would be much appreciated!.

If it helps, I was thinking of having the fattys (and maybe some other treats like ABTs done an hour or two before the bird), but would really prefer to serve the fattys w/ the dinner. How long can the fattys sit wrapped in foil, perhaps in a cooler?

Bird weighs in at about 15 lbs if it matters.

Thanks in advance!

Meat Burner
11-19-2010, 10:45 PM
Sounds like you are wanting too much out of one cooker. Use two different smokers/grills would accomplish what you are wanting. Don't get too hung up on temps on the fatties. The turkey needs the high temp but you can mix and match temps on the fatties.

BBQ Grail
11-19-2010, 10:48 PM
Cook the fatties, wrap in foil and cooler them. If you crank the heat up as soon as the fatties are off, and get the turkey on, you should be just fine.

Make sure you fill all air space in the cooler with towels or something.

blackdog043
11-19-2010, 10:59 PM
This is why you need all the kettles and smokers in your backyard :becky: Just in case you need to cook a few different things at the same time. You could do an off set on a kettle and get good results. Quick get on CL and find one!! or you could do what Sir Larry said. You could also cook the fatties this weekend and freeze til wed then just reheat.

Goin Que Que
11-19-2010, 11:09 PM
I agree with Larry.

BBQ Grail
11-19-2010, 11:14 PM
This is why you need all the kettles and smokers in your backyard :becky: Just in case you need to cook a few different things at the same time. You could do an off set on a kettle and get good results. Quick get on CL and find one!! or you could do what Sir Larry said. You could also cook the fatties this weekend and freeze til wed then just reheat.

Although my first suggestion will work. Personally I'd try the "Hey dear, I'm going to need another cooker" tactic first.

newie
11-19-2010, 11:31 PM
Although my first suggestion will work. Personally I'd try the "Hey dear, I'm going to need another cooker" tactic first.

Great advice, I would certainly give it a try if I had a bit more time, and set aside the fact I just finished the first UDS about two weeks ago!

Thanks for all the replys, I think I'll wrap the fatties and share the ABTs with whoever shows up early enough to enjoy them, then crank it up and throw the bird on - thanks again!!

Jon

bigabyte
11-20-2010, 02:51 PM
I also agree with Larry, but have another recommendation to add to help keep it hot. Fill a couple empty 2-Liter bottles (or other containers) with some scalding hot water, cap off and set in the bottom of the cooler, then cover with a layer of towels, then put in the fatties, then insulate even more with towels. The stuff inside your cooler will stay hot for quite a while that way, and since the fatties are kind of small, I'm thinking it can't hurt to give them a little help keeping warm.

Chef Jim
11-20-2010, 02:55 PM
Why do you want to smoke the bird at that temp. I would do them all at the lower temp. Let the fattie drip on the skin of the bird. Just think of the flavor it will add to it.