PDA

View Full Version : Improving pastrami texture?

Happy Highwayman
11-15-2010, 01:26 PM
I bought a pre-corned corned beef in vacuum packaging at the supermarket. rinsed it off, rubbed it with pepper, coriander and garlic before slow smoking it on my Little Brown egg. Due to one of my wiring requiring a re-crimping after an hour I had some low temps for a bit, but between 200-225 it cooked for about
3.5 hours before hitting a consistent 165 internal temp (Used apple wood).

It was only 3.5 lbs so that's why it cooked fast.

I wrapped it for 1 hour in foil before slicing a few slices for dinner. It was really tasty, MUCH more mild flavor than when I used the wrong kind of wood (either mesquite or hickory), but the texture was slightly rubbery/chewy. Still, an excellent second attempt.

Any tips on how to get better texture?

Teleking
11-15-2010, 02:24 PM
Any tips on how to get better texture?

Traditional pastrami is steamed to finish. I smoke mine to 150° internal then steam it in a pressure cooker for 30 mins to tenderize.

Cheers
YMMV

Happy Highwayman
11-15-2010, 03:07 PM
Awesome. I was going to steam finish some slices prior to serving, but I didn't realize I should do it for the whole brisket.

pomah25
11-15-2010, 03:13 PM
Can this be done without pressure cooker?

Happy Highwayman
11-15-2010, 03:16 PM
I would do it with a steamer if you have one big enough to fit the pastrami in.

Divemaster
11-15-2010, 03:18 PM
If you don't have a steamer, you can always take it up to 185*. This should make it more tender without having it fall apart on you.

Happy Highwayman
11-15-2010, 03:23 PM
Also a great suggestion. Would have done that had I thought of it...I was worried past 165 might "overcook" it.

Happy Highwayman
11-15-2010, 03:27 PM
I'm really looking for a "Montreal Smoked Meat" type texture, and I know that the traditional Hebrew places in Montreal steam their meat before serving.

Any other ideas how to achieve that style vs. American style pastrami?

Phrasty
11-15-2010, 03:50 PM
Last time I did pastrami I placed it on a rack in a foil pan and covered tightly with foil. A bit of light beef broth in the bottom for steam. Came out great for me.

Cheers

bluetang
11-15-2010, 03:58 PM
I too foil at 160*, with beer and juniper berries, off the smoker at 180*

Happy Highwayman
11-15-2010, 03:59 PM
Do you guys use a meat slicer? I like mine sliced really thin but can only manage so thin with a chef's knife.

Divemaster
11-15-2010, 04:00 PM
Also a great suggestion. Would have done that had I thought of it...I was worried past 165 might "overcook" it.

I'm really looking for a "Montreal Smoked Meat" type texture, and I know that the traditional Hebrew places in Montreal steam their meat before serving.

Any other ideas how to achieve that style vs. American style pastrami?
I normally take mine up to 185* and then cooler it for an hour or more. Let it rest for AT LEAST 15-25 minutes to let the juices re-distribute before slicing.

Last time I did pastrami I placed it on a rack in a foil pan and covered tightly with foil. A bit of light beef broth in the bottom for steam. Came out great for me.

Cheers
Like that idea, I may have to steal.... I mean borrow it.... LOL

bluetang
11-15-2010, 04:03 PM
Do you guys use a meat slicer? I like mine sliced really thin but can only manage so thin with a chef's knife.
I do, I was lucky enough to take in a Hobart in lieu of a debt:-D

Happy Highwayman
11-15-2010, 04:03 PM
Luckily a pre-cured corned beef was only $13.00 so all I need is 4 hours and I can try it again :)

Phrasty
11-15-2010, 04:20 PM
Luckily a pre-cured corned beef was only $13.00 so all I need is 4 hours and I can try it again :)

BTW with those pre-packaged corned beef briskies, you want to soak them for at LEAST overnight to a day to take out some of the excess salt... and change the water a couple times.

Edit: I soaked my last one for about 3 days.

Good luck with it!
Cheers.

Happy Highwayman
11-15-2010, 04:23 PM
BTW with those pre-packaged corned beef briskies, you want to soak them for at LEAST overnight to a day to take out some of the excess salt... and change the water a couple times.

Good luck with it!
Cheers.

Yeah I made that mistake. I didn't soak it. Still edible.

Teleking
11-15-2010, 05:33 PM

Good luck with it!
Cheers.

+1 ^^^^^ I like to soak mine for at least 36 hours with several water changes. I use the pressure cooker cause I have one. I also like to use the eye round corned beef instead of the brisket. I like the texture better and holds up to slicing paper thin.

Cheers

Happy Highwayman
11-15-2010, 05:38 PM
I should note that using a pressure cooker is technically braising the meat, not really steaming it. I use my pressure cooker as a time saver for either braised meats or beef/chicken stocks. It just boils water hotter than it normally would boil at due to the increased pressure.

I would really love to know what kind of wood they use in Montreal for the brisket....the Apple was good, but still TOO "smokey" tasting, it needs a subtle hint of the right smokiness, not a punch you in the mouth kind.

I will perfect this, as I've yet to have any decent restaurant pastrami in SF.

Teleking
11-15-2010, 06:44 PM
I should note that using a pressure cooker is technically braising the meat, not really steaming it.

Splitting hairs…. Technically correct if the meat is seared over high heat to brown the outside and then cooked in a liquid to finish like a pot roast, but that is not the case for finishing the pastrami.

Placing on a rack in the area above the water in the steam is well…...you get where this is going.

Cheers:wink:

Happy Highwayman
11-15-2010, 06:48 PM
Splitting hairs…. Technically correct if the meat is seared over high heat to brown the outside and then cooked in a liquid to finish like a pot roast, but that is not the case for finishing the pastrami.

Placing on a rack in the area above the water in the steam is well…...you get where this is going.

Cheers:wink:

My bad! I didn't think of that.

Kevin
11-15-2010, 07:05 PM
Just smoked a 5 pound bottom round roast yesterday that had been brining for 3 weeks. Smoked to 140* with cherry wood then finished for 30 minutes in a pressure cooker. Let it rest overnight in the refrigerator and sliced with a meat slicer. Pretty good consistency for me. Nice red color throughout and very tender but not falling apart.

I understand that brisket is traditional for Pastrami but I prefer the leanness and tight grain of a round roast when the plan is to slice it thin for sandwiches. Just had a Pastrami on Rye, slice of Provolone on top, put it under the broiler to melt the cheese, add a slice of my wife's garlic/jalapeno/dill pickle on top and we're eatin' good. :becky:

bobfeebish
11-15-2010, 09:22 PM

I would really love to know what kind of wood they use in Montreal for the brisket....

If you are looking to make a Montreal style smoked meat, the first thing you will be aghast to find out is Montreal smoked meat is never actually smoked.
So the first thing you want to do is get that brisket off of your smoker.
Montreal style "smoked meat" is spice rubbed, and cured in a refrigerator for 10 or so days. The cured brisket is then roasted and steamed before serving.

If you ever have the pleasure of visiting Montreal and dining at a smoked meat joint, you will not taste smoke in the smoked meat, you will not smell smoke in the establishment nor will you see a smoker or a wood pile.

The name "smoked meat" is a misappropriation of the word "smoked" due apparently to several generations of translations between Yiddish, English and French.

So get a fresh packer, rub it with a blend of salt, cracked black pepper, cayenne, coriander seed, garlic and allspice.
Make room in your fridge and let it set for 10 days or so turning it occasionally.
Then roast it for 2 to 4 hours depending on size and steam for an hour or so before serving.
Tender, delicious and very unique, the real thing is available only in Montreal.

P.S. I forgot to add a real Montreal style smoked meat is always and only a whole brisket.

jasonalan724
11-15-2010, 09:28 PM

Good luck with it!
Cheers.

I also do this, but i add quartered potato to help absorb more salt from the water which brings the salt level in the briskey down when the meat and water equalize, use a new potato everytime you change the water