PDA

View Full Version : FEC 100 or Stumps Prince?

BRBBQ
11-13-2010, 03:07 PM
I would like your opinion. Let's pretend (Wife Don't know, Yet!) I'm in the market for a new smoker and I've narrowed my choices down to the two smokers above. Which smoker would you recommend and why?? Keep in mind I'm looking for a smoker that doesn't require foiled food during the cooking process, so I assume the cooking chamber will get enough moisture from the fat drippings, Oh! foil is problem with left overs:becky: Some things I also want is, some kind of smoke ring on food, easy to operate//set-it-and for-get, and did I mention NO FOILED food during the cooking process. My problem is I would like to own either one, so I come to you! I'm confussed on which one I would like to own :confused: I know the price$$ diff, but I'm not telling the wife:becky:

Ron_L
11-13-2010, 03:58 PM
No smoker requires that the food be foiled. That's your choice as to whether to use foil as part of the cooking process or not.

Since I won one and it does a fantastic job in all sorts of weather and on everything I have cooked in it, I recommend the FEC-100.

Buster Dog BBQ
11-13-2010, 04:07 PM
I like the FEC because it's so dang easy to cook in and clean up. And if you put the meat on cold enough you will get a smoke ring.

BRBBQ
11-13-2010, 04:24 PM
No smoker requires that the food be foiled. That's your choice as to whether to use foil as part of the cooking process or not.

Since I won one and it does a fantastic job in all sorts of weather and on everything I have cooked in it, I recommend the FEC-100.OK, maybe foil isn't needed, but the standard answer on any forum is, cook until 165-170F then foil. I'm looking for a smoker that has enough moisture inside cooking chamber, thus eliminating the foil wrap.

Coz
11-13-2010, 04:37 PM
I have never cooked on an Fe or an original Stumps. That said I have a friend who cooks on a Pand S Pro which is similar to the FE and he has plenty of smoke ring. I have built a couple of Stumps Clones and no problem with smoke ring there either.I think the moisture in the Stumps type is more evident. One consideration is capacity and I think the FE is a lot bigger ? Both cookers are well built.

rabeb25
11-13-2010, 06:22 PM
The trick to a FEC is to reverse the hold and cook features on the controller. I put meat on as cold as possible and cook at 170 for 4-6hrs, then use the hold feature to go to 250 to finish the cook. Works great, great ring and flavor (though the ring contributes nothing anyway). On my ribs I do 1-2hrs low then go to 250. I don't know what you cook on now, but you will never get the same flavor as a stick burner, but I do have to say its about balanced perfectly using that method.

Bryan

BRBBQ
11-14-2010, 10:08 AM
:tumbleweed: We'll I was hoping for some other people to chime in, even the local's :shock: So I guess FEC 100 is the winner:first:

thull
11-14-2010, 09:46 PM
I run a Stumps GF223 and really like it. Admittedly, it's my first insulated cabinet smoker. Not nearly as cold here in GA as IA, but I run it overnight with ease even in winter. Did 25lb of pork loins today.

Mine is 4 or 5 years old (I'm Owner #2). I know he's made improvements in the interim to the grease drain, etc.

It's a little warmer on the RHS by the fire, but it's pretty easy to adjust for.

JD McGee
11-14-2010, 09:56 PM
Take a look at the new Extreme Smoker (http://www.extremebbqtrailers.com/Our-Extreme-Smoker.html)being built by James Stephens...it's gonna be a killer machine...:thumb:

Mitch
11-14-2010, 10:05 PM
I'm in Nebraska and I use my Stumps all winter long
No problem. I love it. It hold an even temp no matter how cold or windy. Great smoke ring if you put you meat in cold. The colder thw meat, the better the smoke ring. Also, when thw humidity is low and some moisture to the pit. Better smoke ring w moisture.

Trucky1008
11-14-2010, 11:02 PM
Been using my FEC for over 2 years and can't complain a bit, it does everything you're looking to do.

BRBBQ
11-14-2010, 11:25 PM
Been using my FEC for over 2 years and can't complain a bit, it does everything you're looking to do.This blows, I really would like to have either one, but I can only buy one:confused: Trucky1008 is there any body locally selling BBQ using a FEC100?

Mitch
11-15-2010, 09:43 AM
Just to make it more confusing, check out Old Hickory pits. Sweet rigs.

BRBBQ
11-15-2010, 10:54 AM
Just to make it more confusing, check out Old Hickory pits. Sweet rigs.I sold my CTO to a guy in Lincoln NE that sells food!

Trucky1008
11-15-2010, 01:22 PM
This blows, I really would like to have either one, but I can only buy one:confused: Trucky1008 is there any body locally selling BBQ using a FEC100?

Not that I'm aware of. If you'd like to throw something in my FEC to give it a test let me know.

Hub
11-15-2010, 01:30 PM
Ease of use, durability, fantastic manufacturer support, quality of cook , etc. etc., its the FEC 100 by a mile

BRBBQ
11-15-2010, 01:37 PM
Not that I'm aware of. If you'd like to throw something in my FEC to give it a test let me know.Only 5 butts, 4 briskets and 5 racks of ribs:becky: Thanks Trucky I'll keep that in mind. I should of stopped by during the RCR contest, Friday or after contest:frusty:

Goddahavit
11-15-2010, 02:10 PM
Only 5 butts, 4 briskets and 5 racks of ribs:becky: Thanks Trucky I'll keep that in mind. I should of stopped by during the RCR contest, Friday or after contest:frusty:

Not sure why your comparing the prince to the FEC, if your going by price look at the classic or stretch, that's closer to the price of the FEC, and for that you get a lot more capacity.

you can cook less and be fine, but you cant add capacity when you need it.

I am not fanboy like some, but I did part with my money for a stretch, that says something...

Eric