PDA

View Full Version : foiling question

sunrise
11-06-2010, 06:47 AM
When wraping the ribs in foil, do you foil first, or after smoking a while? I have been wraping my ribs in foil for the first hour, then unwraping and finishing for about 2 hours more. I have been finishing mid pack, and need to move up. Thanks

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
11-06-2010, 07:32 AM
When wraping the ribs in foil, do you foil first, or after smoking a while? I have been wraping my ribs in foil for the first hour, then unwraping and finishing for about 2 hours more. I have been finishing mid pack, and need to move up. Thanks

there is a lot of good info in this site. what I do is a 3-2-1 at 225

3 hours live smoke
2 hours foil
1 hour to finish and glaze.

Im no expert, and must say I posted a rib help thread and everyone has been very helpfull. Some really good tips.

tmcmaster
11-06-2010, 09:29 AM
I don't foil until they are just about done, and toss them in the cambro for about 2 hours.

BBQ Grail
11-06-2010, 09:41 AM
I don't foil at all...

But if I did I wouldn't start out with foil.

boogiesnap
11-06-2010, 10:40 AM
do not foil at the start. ever. for anything.

Jorge
11-06-2010, 12:06 PM
I'll foil after they have good color, and add some additional ingredients for flavor, unwrap after they are starting to get the feel I want, and set a sauce and/or glaze.

tmcmaster
11-06-2010, 03:07 PM
So, boiling first is out of vogue?:crazy:

CBQ
11-06-2010, 05:17 PM

Yeah, you are doing it backwards. Once the surface of the meat gets to around 160 it doesn't take smoke any more. That's the reason behind the 3-2-1 other people mentioned. You want to expose it to the smoke first with no foil, then foil later with some good stuff in the foil (rub, sugar, etc.).

CBQ
11-06-2010, 05:39 PM

Not at all. It's Kevin Roberts recommended.

barbefunkoramaque
11-06-2010, 05:47 PM
Foil???? Simpsons already did this before Southpark. (http://www.youtube.com/user/PopdaddysBBQ#p/u/4/GbBFZstQRUY)

landarc
11-06-2010, 06:17 PM
Actually, boiling and/or steaming is still very much in vogue, I saw the corporate chef of Tony Roma's explaining the process.

JD McGee
11-06-2010, 08:05 PM
I only foil beef ribs...never spares or bb's...it works for me...they usually finish in the top 5 with 6 first place rib walks this season. :-P

Boshizzle
11-06-2010, 08:33 PM
I only foil beef ribs...never spares or bb's...it works for me...they usually finish in the top 5 with 6 first place rib walks this season. :-P

Wow, congrats!

CBQ
11-06-2010, 08:50 PM

I only cooked those once. Didn't foil them, took third. :-D They were on the smoker for about 20 hours too. Well, that's what makes BBQ fun :becky: We all have a favorite process, and many of them work well.

JD McGee
11-06-2010, 09:52 PM
I only cooked those once. Didn't foil them, took third. :-D They were on the smoker for about 20 hours too. Well, that's what makes BBQ fun :becky: We all have a favorite process, and many of them work well.

:shocked:...20 hours...dude! :twisted: We took first with our beef backs...but they only took about 4 hours...:becky:

UPNSMOKIN
11-06-2010, 10:05 PM
i dont even think you would have bone marrow left if cooked for 20 hours:tsk:

JD McGee
11-06-2010, 10:06 PM
i dont even think you would have bone marrow left if cooked for 20 hours:tsk:

Ummm...I think he was kidding...we do that a LOT around here...it keeps things loose...:becky: ZBQ has been around a pit or two and knows how to Q...trust me on this!
JD

CBQ
11-06-2010, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the kind words JD.

I do joke around a lot. :-P Not in this case though...was really low temp (~180), kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper, no rub, no foil. Maybe not quite 20 hours, but was at least 17.

Got third place, 2007 CT State Championship. This was an "extra" meat added on to a KCBS event, first time we ever cooked them. Put 'em in with the brisket and just left them there. (I am not saying I would recommend doing them this way, probably just got lucky, but they were tasty.)