PDA

View Full Version : Used large BGE worth $500. ?

blackdog043
11-05-2010, 11:31 PM
What should I look for before buying, I know cracks but anything else ? Is it worth 500 with a rolling metal cart ? I was thinking offering 400. It's about 3 years old.
Thanks Bill

BRBBQ
11-06-2010, 02:13 AM
:tumbleweed:ANY ONE!

R2Egg2Q
11-06-2010, 03:15 AM
Do you know if it comes with a plate setter? If so the price is even more attractive. I think one would cost you about $60-65 if you had to buy a new plate setter.

Out here in california, a new large egg with a nest would cost you about $960.

I did a quick search on the Egghead forum to see how much people have been asking for used larges with a nest (rolling stand) and I'm seeing prices around $700 for year old eggs with a plate setter.

A large egg (with nest but no plate setter) that was used only 5 times sold last month on ebay for $635.

In my opinion, $500 sounds like a decent price but I'm saying that without seeing it. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to offer him a little less and see if he bites.

For sure I'd ask if there were any accessories included as Egg accessories can get quite costly if you're buying things like cast iron grills, ash tools, grill gripper, extra tiers, etc... The plate setter is mandatory if you want to smoke with it.

Looking for cracks would be a good idea. I can't think of anything else major to look for other than making sure it has all the parts that it originally came with (daisy wheel, ceramic topper, ceramic feet, firebox, fire ring, and grill) . You can inspect the gasket condition but they're really not expensive to replace.

donmiller
11-06-2010, 05:59 AM
Bubba Tim keeps a "Green Book" site giving guidance for pricing used BGEs:
http://www.bubbatim.com/Green_Book.php

Note that when evaluating cracks, spider vein cracks in the glazing (green finish) is sort of normal in older eggs, but cracks in the ceramic is NOT.

Also, you should generally expect to replace the gaskets.

Don

Ron_L
11-06-2010, 08:23 AM
If it is in perfect condition, and the rolling metal cart is the BGE nest, then $500 is OK. I would still offer $400 and hopefully settle on $450 worst case. If it has the platesetter as mentioned above then $500 is a better deal.

Look at all of the internal ceramic pieces for any cracks. Those are the pieces that are exposed to the direct heat and can crack with time.

blackdog043
11-06-2010, 11:20 AM
Thanks for all the info, I still haven't heard back from him if it is still for sale. I'll have to ask if he has the platesetter.

Midnight Smoke
11-06-2010, 12:15 PM
It is not out of line considering the cost of new and adding tax. Just remember you will not have any warranty, but the people at BGE are very good.

Good luck!

blackdog043
11-06-2010, 01:24 PM
To late he sold it, now I have the info for next time. Thanks again

1_T_Scot
11-06-2010, 01:52 PM
That would have been a fair deal. check everything those above have said also look at the hinge nothing specific on Eggs but I had a "El Cheapo" clone that had hinge issues.

kickassbbq
11-06-2010, 03:22 PM
If it was in GREAT shape, $500.00 was a steal.

fivelombardis
11-06-2010, 05:44 PM
$400 is about all.