PDA

View Full Version : Homemade LP manifold

RamHemiTX
10-31-2010, 10:17 PM
I am the leader of a Cub Scout Den. We have our Spring camp out this weekend and I will be cooking up pancakes for a lot of kids. I have been fabricating a big three burner cook stove much like this one, just bigger.

http://www.tejassmokers.com/images/CS3Nfrontviewwindguardwings.jpg

My issue is with plumbing up the burners. My burner inlets are 16" oc. I have not been able to find affordable pipe nipples in the right length to make the connections line up. I can get custom lengths made, but they seem to be about $30-$40 each. So here is my question. Is there any reason I cannot just use square tubing to make a custom manifold? I would weld up the ends, drill my holes and use a pipe tap for the 1/4 inch npt fittings that are needed to connect to the burners.

h20loo
11-01-2010, 05:03 AM
One of my tenants retrofitted two BBQs with 1" square tubing. They worked very well and certainly had a lot more quality than the imported tin crap I bought from the big box store.
Your project looks interesting and I hope you share some pictures.

Garyclaw
11-01-2010, 06:57 AM
It's Spring in Texas? Wow, it's farther away than I thought.:-P It sounds like your on the right track.

RamHemiTX
11-01-2010, 07:15 AM
My burners came with a fitting that has a flare end to attach to the regulator hose and the other end is 1/4" male pipe thread with a very small opening. I am assuming that hole size is important. Does anyone know?

Norcoredneck
11-01-2010, 07:28 AM
Will work, but if one of the kids or adults gets burnt and sues you what does affordable really mean?

Norcoredneck
11-01-2010, 07:32 AM
My burners came with a fitting that has a flare end to attach to the regulator hose and the other end is 1/4" male pipe thread with a very small opening. I am assuming that hole size is important. Does anyone know?

Very importand. The hole you refer to is called an orfice. Propane burners use one somewhere around a #61 depending on the BTU's of the burner.

http://www.tejassmokers.com/products/brassfittings.htm

"1/8" Male NPT x 3/8" Male Gas Flare 90° Gas Orifice, with #61 drilled orifice, or specify desired orifice size, 1.7 oz., Free Shipping"

Panthers65
11-01-2010, 07:37 AM
Will work, but if one of the kids or adults gets burnt and sues you what does affordable really mean?

X2, if you are a certified tig welder, I'd say go for it. If you're trying to do MIG or stick, I'd say drop the extra coin and buy one. One tiny pinhole leak (and yes, even a good mig welder will leave pinholes in the puddle) will still let the flames light, but what happens with enough of that LP Gas leaks up under the grill and ignites?

I've been building roll cages for everything from circle track cars to pro rock crawling teams ever since I was in college, and i wouldn't do it, but that's just me....

Norcoredneck
11-01-2010, 07:38 AM
For the manifold you can silver solder copper tubing or flare it to size.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k296/norcoredneck/IMG_0123-7.jpg

Norcoredneck
11-01-2010, 07:41 AM
This manifold is silver soldered. (not by me, from factory)
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k296/norcoredneck/IMG_0128-6.jpg

Mark
11-01-2010, 10:23 AM
The best way to do it is with threaded steel pipe. My local Home Depot sells pipe and will cut to length and thread. $30 to $40 seems userous,

RamHemiTX
11-01-2010, 07:10 PM
OK, I broke down and gave the dimensions to a fella to have him make me a manifold. Thanks for all of your help guys and I will post pics when I finish. And by the way, got my seasons mixed.... Not the spring camp out, it is fall, DUH.. Here are pictures of what I have so far. I will finish welding up the frame tomorrow.

jestridge
11-01-2010, 07:39 PM
Nice looking stove I would make one for my own use, but not to selll They seem to get piss when one of those things blows up.

RamHemiTX
11-01-2010, 10:01 PM
Due to the short time frame I had to complete this, I ended up getting a "manifold" that is really just rubber LP hose with all of the appropriate fittings and a needle valve for each burner. Another reason for doing this is that I don't even have the burners mounted yet. I know where they are going to be, but if I have a brass rig made and then I am off a bit here and there it won't work without me doing more cutting and welding(no time for that). I really think that I found the true life inspiration of Hank Hill's character on King of the Hill. He was a really nice guy who knew way too much about propane and helped me out price wise on the setup. Even after his discount he gave me, that ended up being about $140 for the regulator, orifices, all of the fittings and the hose. Looking at his prices, he gave me about a $50 break and he paid for the 2 day shipping since it is for the scouts. I will convert this to a real brass manifold after the camp out.

I have a friend who said he can get the whole thing powder coated for free so the brass will look nice with that and the thing should last forever. I had not welded in about 20 years so I am no pro, but I am pretty happy with my work. I really had a good time doing this and who knows, maybe I will make a few and sell them on CL or something.

RamHemiTX
11-04-2010, 12:23 AM
OK,

Tomorrow it shall breathe fire. Saturday it shall cook for the masses. Just a few more touches and I will be done. Needs wind screens around the burners and a set of legs. This thing is heavy...

Divemaster
11-04-2010, 09:25 AM
Looks like a great job on a fun project for a fantastic cause!

RamHemiTX
11-04-2010, 10:40 AM
Thank you sir!