PDA

View Full Version : Controlling Heat on Weber Kettles

keverhart
10-27-2010, 09:10 AM
It seems that when I set up my 18' Weber for a low and slow, the heat is always pretty high right away, and I struggle in the beginning to get it down--even with closing the vents. Should I wait a bit longer before laying down the food or use less briquettes? Any tricks? Also when doing Ribs should I use a 2 zone fire with the sweet spot in the middle or 1 hot zone?

Big_T_BBQ
10-27-2010, 09:14 AM
If you're doing low and slow on a kettle, you need to use the minion method - with an 18" Kettle I'd light 6-10 briquettes depending on the temp I was shooting for (6 for 225, 8 for 250, 10 for 275). Dump the started briquettes onto a bed of unlit, catch your temp on the way up (start to cut air around 30-40 deg below target temp).

btcg
10-27-2010, 10:03 AM
Kever,

Big T is right, start slow, and build.

As to using Minion, to me, that's a different proposition.

If you're in a safe area, and you're absolutely sure that an unintended fire cannot possibly damage a person or property, and you absolutely cannot stay on the cooking site, and you do not care if an unintended grease fire destroys your meat, Minion is a Godsend.

If not, I question using Minion. You're already there and monitoring, you can set it up so you can quickly add fuel and park it exactly where you want it. And, you have fewer carcinogens. Alot will say this danger is overblown, but why take a chance if you don't absolutely have to?

Besides, it more fun to tend the fire, IMO.

Smokey Al Gold
10-27-2010, 10:17 AM
I do ribs often on the kettle as it is my main cooker. Minion method is a great way to go for this and any other long cook. Big T's advice is great and if you get a few fire bricks you can bank your coals off to one side very easy. I barely crack my bottom vent when starting the fire and leave the top vent open that slows the air flow and the burn and you can maintain low temps very consistently and easily for long periods of time. Good luck! Don't forget to snap some pics for us :-D

Dave Russell
10-27-2010, 10:20 AM
Dropping the lid won't help.

landarc
10-27-2010, 12:15 PM
BTCG, how do you set up your fire in the kettle if not indirect and banked? Since I know you are using a Nano Q, I assumed you are using indirect with a Minion-type setup, this is not the case?

I use unlit charcoal on the side or in a fire ring setup, I dump lit on on end of the unlit charcoal and set my kettle vents to hit a certain temperature. I allow at least 30 minutes to come to temperature and stabilize. It is not a true Minion method, but, it is the same in principal. I always try and catch temperature on the way up in any smoker, I do not like the idea of trying to bring a smoker temperature down once it is too high.

Smokey Al Gold
10-27-2010, 01:25 PM
BTCG, how do you set up your fire in the kettle if not indirect and banked? Since I know you are using a Nano Q, I assumed you are using indirect with a Minion-type setup, this is not the case?

I use unlit charcoal on the side or in a fire ring setup, I dump lit on on end of the unlit charcoal and set my kettle vents to hit a certain temperature. I allow at least 30 minutes to come to temperature and stabilize. It is not a true Minion method, but, it is the same in principal. I always try and catch temperature on the way up in any smoker, I do not like the idea of trying to bring a smoker temperature down once it is too high.

I'm with you I do the same thing. Never tried the ring setup before I might need to give that a try sometime. I'm to the point where I can do briskets in 5 or 6 hrs at 350 and barely adjust the vents if ever. Practice is definately paying off. I've never had a grease fire or any off tastes from the minion method. Can you share your ring setup Landarc?

Spode
10-27-2010, 05:27 PM
I do this on the kettle and put 10 briqquettes in one coal holder and then put a small foil tray of water, about an inch of water in it, on the grate above that. I have the bottom closed 3/4 of the way and the top open just enough for the temp probe to go through.

I find the most effective way to control the temperature is to move the tray of water over more or less of the fire, and thereby use it as a sink to capture the heat.

But with a small fire you need to be adding 5 briquettes every hour, which is why minion works well but I am struggling to get it to work.

landarc
10-27-2010, 05:37 PM
...Can you share your ring setup Landarc?
Yes, but then what would I use to cook with?

What I have done is use two old Weber charcoal baskets, which I have disassembled, then reassembled using steel wire to form a ring, which I put in the center of the grill. I put a drip pan in the middle of the ring. I then pile the charcoal around the ring as deep as the baskets. I can use wood chunks mixed in, briquettes or lump, anyways, once the pile is set, I dump half a chimney on one spot and let the charcoal go until I get a temperature of whatever I am trying to achieve. Often somewhere between 225F and 300F. I have gotten a good solid 270F burn going for 6 hours this way. If I need longer, I lift up the grate and knock burned ash down and add more charcoal where the starting charcoal burned out.

Smokey Al Gold
10-27-2010, 06:37 PM
Yes, but then what would I use to cook with?

What I have done is use two old Weber charcoal baskets, which I have disassembled, then reassembled using steel wire to form a ring, which I put in the center of the grill. I put a drip pan in the middle of the ring. I then pile the charcoal around the ring as deep as the baskets. I can use wood chunks mixed in, briquettes or lump, anyways, once the pile is set, I dump half a chimney on one spot and let the charcoal go until I get a temperature of whatever I am trying to achieve. Often somewhere between 225F and 300F. I have gotten a good solid 270F burn going for 6 hours this way. If I need longer, I lift up the grate and knock burned ash down and add more charcoal where the starting charcoal burned out.

Thanks for sharing that with me now you will have to find something else to cook with. :thumb: I like that idea alot. I have the charcoal baskets and I never use them. This will give me something to actually use them for. :becky: Thanks for sharing!

firecracker jack
10-27-2010, 07:05 PM
interesting thoughts.....I'll call my brother. he's just starting out on a weber......thanks for sharing:thumb:

firecracker jack

keverhart
10-27-2010, 11:03 PM
Typically I set up a decent mtn of coal on one side and let it heat up. I use the higher heat to sear my chicken and by the time Im done, the temp has come down considerably. Over the course of the smoke like 3.5 hours, i like to go slow, I have to add coals about once or twice. I plan on doing some whole chickens this weekend, i will post pics of the whole process and share them when done. Thanks for the suggestions I will give them a try

Riverside BBQ
10-28-2010, 09:09 AM
Much like Spode does, I use a chimney starter (full coal basket of charcoal in it) and allow about half the coals to get red. Then dump them in the coal basket (by dumping all them in, the coals are mixed about 50/50 lit and unlit) smilar to a minon and use a bread baking pan about 1/4 full of water on the grate above the coals. It holds 225/230 for about five hours. Bottom vent cracked, top open. I add a little more water if the temp starts to run on me or move the water pan off to the side of the coals if it starts to lower.