PDA

View Full Version : What 10 Hours @ 235 Will Get You In A Brisket

btcg
10-23-2010, 07:38 PM
So, prepped my brisket (fine butchering/injection) Friday morning, and popped it in the fridge overnight. Friday night, I prepped my Weber kettle: cleaned it, got my charcoal basket loaded and filled up my water pans.

This morning, all I had to do was start my fire and put my brisket on. Got up @ 8:15 and by 9 am, I was cooking:

http://banklinerelay.com/mod/brisket/1.jpg

http://banklinerelay.com/mod/brisket/2.jpg

Ten hours later, here's the result:

http://banklinerelay.com/mod/brisket/3.jpg

Sorry Myron, but I think I've been corrupted by the NanoQ and low & slow cooking. GAWD... I love that redness you can achieve by low & slow.

Didn't use any wood (not crazy about smoking beef - that is not a smoke ring you see), and this was a el-cheapo Giant Foods brisket ($15).

In all modesty, this was every bit as tasty as the Wagyu brisket Myron cooked us (same injection), and it had better color.

Fishawn
10-23-2010, 07:42 PM
Beautiful!...... I continue to be impressed on what the kettles & a good cook can do. :thumb:

bluetang
10-23-2010, 07:43 PM
All I see is moist wonderfullness!

Kelly
10-23-2010, 07:46 PM
Was it on the grate the whole time or did you wrap it in foil?

btcg
10-23-2010, 07:48 PM
Was it on the grate the whole time or did you wrap it in foil?

Foiled @ 160... only because I wanted to protect the outside bark.

Crazy Harry
10-23-2010, 08:53 PM
looks good

RedPig
10-23-2010, 08:55 PM
Man that looks great. Very nicely done. Can we have the injection recipe?:decision:

Boshizzle
10-23-2010, 09:03 PM
A thing of beauty! Congrats, bro!

btcg
10-23-2010, 09:15 PM
Man that looks great. Very nicely done. Can we have the injection recipe?:decision:

I can't give it out, but I can give you a generic:

http://banklinerelay.com/mod/brisket/4.jpg

Dump the broth (available @ Whole Foods) into a bowl, heat, and add 1 tblsp of brisket injection. Allow to come to room temp (the brisket too) and inject.

If you have someone like my wife to feed who hates salt & spices, inject with just the broth. The small piece of brisket in the pic was done with the broth only, and it was quite tasty.

btcg
10-23-2010, 09:16 PM
A thing of beauty! Congrats, bro!

Don't know how I got along without the NanoQ, bro. Worth its weight in gold.

Boshizzle
10-23-2010, 09:21 PM
Those electronic doo-dads are pretty nice. I'm really enjoying my stoker too. If it can reduce my trips outside this winter, I will be a happy camper. :-D

Mister Bob
10-23-2010, 09:25 PM
I love that redness you can achieve by low & slow.

Didn't use any wood (not crazy about smoking beef - that is not a smoke ring you see)...

:confused:

Even though you are not using wood, and are not blowing visible billowing smoke, I do believe you are smoking your beef...and actually, a smoke ring has nothing to do with smoke, but rather a reaction between the nitrogen dioxide (produced by the combustion of wood, charcoal and even propane and natural gas) and the myoglobin in the surface of the meat to form nitrates in the form of nitrous acid, that diffuses into the meat to create that pink ring.

Here is an excellent article that explains the process in detail: http://smokingpit.com/Info/SmokeRing.pdf

I use nothing but lump charcoal in all my cookers and achieve very deep and pronounced 'smoke' rings.

btcg
10-23-2010, 09:27 PM
Didn't know that, thank you Bob!

RedPig
10-24-2010, 06:12 AM
I can't give it out, but I can give you a generic:

http://banklinerelay.com/mod/brisket/4.jpg

Dump the broth (available @ Whole Foods) into a bowl, heat, and add 1 tblsp of brisket injection. Allow to come to room temp (the brisket too) and inject.

If you have someone like my wife to feed who hates salt & spices, inject with just the broth. The small piece of brisket in the pic was done with the broth only, and it was quite tasty.Can't blame me for trying. lol. :thumb:

Phubar
10-24-2010, 06:59 AM
Looks tasty!

armor
10-24-2010, 07:33 AM
Looks great. I cook both ways. Low and slow always when I have the time. There is a difference but the hot and fast is good as well...just different IMO.

firecracker jack
10-24-2010, 09:33 AM
Looks good from here!:clap2::clap2:

firecrackerjack

btcg
10-24-2010, 10:26 AM
Can't blame me for trying. lol. :thumb:

RP,

Try what I gave you. It's an amazing injection. I developed it to try and compromise what my son and I wanted vs. what my health nut wife wanted in a brisket. I made it, and my son & I both loved it. Unfortuneatly, my wife complained about it having sodium. So, I had to finally quit using anything but the plain broth for her.

She is, of course, a nut. Hates sodium? C'Mon!

btcg
10-24-2010, 10:38 AM
Looks great. I cook both ways. Low and slow always when I have the time. There is a difference but the hot and fast is good as well...just different IMO.

Your stuff always looks great and looks delicious.

rddestin
10-24-2010, 08:18 PM
Great looking brisket, looks tasty..

btcg
10-24-2010, 09:37 PM
Hey Rick,

Most proud of the fact that I took a less than 2 inch thick, cheap brisket and got the color & taste that I did. You tasted Myron's: mine was every bit as good. I think I'm low & slow from now on. Get yourself a BBQ Guru product bro (tell the wife Xmas is coming up). You won't be sorry. You're a JOS grad. You could do amazing things with it.

SmokinAussie
10-24-2010, 10:09 PM
Very nice brisky for sure, and a nice setup with the Nano.

What is it about the sodium that your wife does not like... it's a fundamental element, it combines with Chloride to form "Salt"... Is it the chloride part she doesn't like?? If so, she'll have to stop drinking the water and brushin' her teeth too!

Did you advise her how much sodium they put in the broth alone??? Or is that just asking for trouble...

Sorry man... looks like you don't get it either... but seriously, has this been explained to her?... Wow, she's missing out on some very nice Q' that you're making a huge effort to produce...:confused:

Something has to be done!

peppasawce
10-24-2010, 10:24 PM
Good Brisket my friend

Rookie'48
10-25-2010, 12:09 AM
Good lookin' briskie right there!

** minor hijack **
Those electronic doo-dads are pretty nice. I'm really enjoying my stoker too. If it can reduce my trips outside this winter, I will be a happy camper. :-D

I use a Guru & one of those neoprene covers on my WSM durring Iowa winters :thumb:.
** hijack over **

BobBrisket
10-25-2010, 12:56 AM
Didn't know that, thank you Bob!
All about learning here! :thumb:

RP,

Try what I gave you. It's an amazing injection. I developed it to try and compromise what my son and I wanted vs. what my health nut wife wanted in a brisket. I made it, and my son & I both loved it. Unfortuneatly, my wife complained about it having sodium. So, I had to finally quit using anything but the plain broth for her.

She is, of course, a nut. Hates sodium? C'Mon!
Can you break this down a bit more? How did the compromise not work? Thanks.

Hey Rick,

Most proud of the fact that I took a less than 2 inch thick, cheap brisket and got the color & taste that I did. You tasted Myron's: mine was every bit as good. I think I'm low & slow from now on. Get yourself a BBQ Guru product bro (tell the wife Xmas is coming up). You won't be sorry. You're a JOS grad. You could do amazing things with it.
So the Guru is the key? Is Myron a Guru user?

What is it about the sodium that your wife does not like... it's a fundamental element, it combines with Chloride to form "Salt"... Is it the chloride part she doesn't like?? If so, she'll have to stop drinking the water and brushin' her teeth too!

Did you advise her how much sodium they put in the broth alone??? Or is that just asking for trouble...

Sorry man... looks like you don't get it either... but seriously, has this been explained to her?... Wow, she's missing out on some very nice Q' that you're making a huge effort to produce...:confused:

Good points!!

BobBrisket
10-25-2010, 01:04 AM
So, prepped my brisket (fine butchering/injection) Friday morning, and popped it in the fridge overnight. Friday night, I prepped my Weber kettle: cleaned it, got my charcoal basket loaded and filled up my water pans.

This morning, all I had to do was start my fire and put my brisket on. Got up @ 8:15 and by 9 am, I was cooking:

http://banklinerelay.com/mod/brisket/2.jpg

Ten hours later, here's the result:

http://banklinerelay.com/mod/brisket/3.jpg

Sorry Myron, but I think I've been corrupted by the NanoQ and low & slow cooking. GAWD... I love that redness you can achieve by low & slow.

Didn't use any wood (not crazy about smoking beef - that is not a smoke ring you see), and this was a el-cheapo Giant Foods brisket ($15).

In all modesty, this was every bit as tasty as the Wagyu brisket Myron cooked us (same injection), and it had better color.

Bill, in your 40 years of experience, have you ever cooked a better briskie? Did the technology really make that big if difference? Before low and slow, how did you go bout cookin? Smoke ring is a whole nother beast. Did you serve it sliced or pulled? In the end, how was your "cheapo" brisket better than Myron's wagyu on all levels? We wanna know.

Bob

btcg
10-25-2010, 10:32 AM

SA,

Yeah, if you weren't so far away, maybe you could help me with an intervention, eh? But maybe what's needed is an exorcism? :-D

My wife is a lovely little italian girl, but she has fault: she's got the lawyer's disease... she's always right. If I pointed out what you did, that there's sodium in nearly everything, she's just say "all the more reason to limit it in your food."

Rick gave me some wisdom at the JOS class. When it came to winning a point of contention with his wife, he had been asked:

"What do you want to be, right, or happy?"

These days, I just say "yes dear" and make a 2nd of whatever I'm cooking for her.

BBQ PD
10-25-2010, 10:44 AM
One word...Beautiful!

btcg
10-25-2010, 10:49 AM
Bob,

Re-read my posts.

Myron cooks hot & fast. His cookers are ten thousand dollars, and he has a crew to monitor the temp around the clock. Whatsmore, he's using $90-100 Wagyu briskets.

But guess what? He's not alone in that.

Other comp teams use the same quality meat, have even more expensive cookers, and have even bigger crews of helpers.

What make Myron special? He knows how to set his flavors up.

Take his class and he'll share with you how to do it.

Was it the best brisket I ever did? Maybe not.

But it was the best cheap brisket I ever did, and yes, the NanoQ, as I noted, was about 40% of it.

You seem intent on knocking merchant's products. You may not be aware of this, but many of these merchants operate on a shoe-string budget. Losing a few orders because someone goes on an ill-conceived tirade can mean the difference between them making money some months (and thus being able to pay their bills and feed their families) vs. not making any.

We get it: you don't see the need for temp control electronically.

Enough!

btcg
10-25-2010, 10:50 AM
One word...Beautiful!

Thank you Dave.

Now... about that chili recipe.... :-P

BobBrisket
10-25-2010, 11:21 AM
No, Bill, not intent on knocking the technology. Was just hoping you could share a bit more in depth how it has really made that big a difference for you as a person with so many years of experience. Thought that would make for some good learning for all of us. How do you feel it accounted for so much of the success (40%) this time around vs your experiences in the past? Interesting topic.

Bob

Johnny_Crunch
10-25-2010, 01:00 PM
nice looking brisket!

RedPig
10-25-2010, 04:45 PM
Those electronic doo-dads are pretty nice. I'm really enjoying my stoker too. If it can reduce my trips outside this winter, I will be a happy camper. :-DI just ordered mine. How do you like yours?

RedPig
10-25-2010, 05:45 PM
RP,

She is, of course, a nut. Hates sodium? C'Mon!Thank you, I will. I'm always changing my injection and tweaking to my liking.:thumb:

RedPig
10-25-2010, 06:03 PM
Thank you Dave.

Now... about that chili recipe.... :-PYou sir, are a gentlemen.

btcg
10-25-2010, 07:39 PM
No, Bill, not intent on knocking the technology. Was just hoping you could share a bit more in depth how it has really made that big a difference for you as a person with so many years of experience. Thought that would make for some good learning for all of us. How do you feel it accounted for so much of the success (40%) this time around vs your experiences in the past? Interesting topic.

Bob

Excuse my rudeness Bob, I apologize. You're a good guy and myself and the rest of us brethren are very grateful for all you do for the site.

SmokinAussie
10-27-2010, 01:22 AM
Hey Bill, thanks for the expansion of the salt issue. Just a thought. When you cook for her, have you ever provided her a dish with no seasoning on it at all... if so, what did she say and did she put salt on it? Personally, I'm for underseasoning a bit just in case you overdo it... then you can always add a sauce or a sprinkle of salt... then everyones happy. It might be a compromise to do the same thing for her... you cook one dish, and add something extra to yours at the table, and everyones happy...

Cheers!

Bill

btcg
10-27-2010, 04:14 AM
Hey Bill, thanks for the expansion of the salt issue. Just a thought. When you cook for her, have you ever provided her a dish with no seasoning on it at all... if so, what did she say and did she put salt on it? Personally, I'm for underseasoning a bit just in case you overdo it... then you can always add a sauce or a sprinkle of salt... then everyones happy. It might be a compromise to do the same thing for her... you cook one dish, and add something extra to yours at the table, and everyones happy...

Cheers!

Bill

All the time... that's what she wants. She likes plain food.

That's pretty much what I try to do, but the son is like us, and I try to accomodate both. Sometimes, things overlap.

SmokinAussie
10-27-2010, 05:31 AM
Oh man... I'm at a bit of a loss then.... For an Italian, I find that quite extraordinary, but then this is what challenges us from time to time. I'm sure you can BBQ Romaine lettuce and such, and keep things healthy and salt free, and she will occasionally have a slice of chicken breast... and be fit and healthy.

That's not too bad you know...

Cheers!

Bill

Fat Woody
10-27-2010, 11:01 AM
Hey SA - I've actually had a really great grilled romaine salad, so it's possible! But keep on cookin' what makes both of you happy - life is too short to get yer undies in a bunch over the small stuff (as long as it isn't a health issue for anyone).

My wife is the same when it comes to detesting salt; it's just not worth arguing about it with her; and sometimes I slip it into things by using soy or fish sauce, etc. She loves my brisket and it tends to be pretty salty, so I think most of it is a pre-conceived bias against salt in her case. But like btcg said: you can be "happy or right", so for this discussion I'll choose "happy" and save "right" for the big stuff.

PS - nice briskie!

btcg
10-27-2010, 11:09 AM
Hey SA - I've actually had a really great grilled romaine salad, so it's possible! But keep on cookin' what makes both of you happy - life is too short to get yer undies in a bunch over the small stuff (as long as it isn't a health issue for anyone).

My wife is the same when it comes to detesting salt; it's just not worth arguing about it with her; and sometimes I slip it into things by using soy or fish sauce, etc. She loves my brisket and it tends to be pretty salty, so I think most of it is a pre-conceived bias against salt in her case. But like btcg said: you can be "happy or right", so for this discussion I'll choose "happy" and save "right" for the big stuff.

PS - nice briskie!

Thanks FW,

You know exactly what I mean.

Interesting thing, I made some chili from some left over chuck roasts I smoked last week, and added a little paprika, cumin, and mustard powder: she claimed she couldn't eat it, the spices were gagging her.

Yet, the previous week, I made up 3 batches of my homemade BBQ sauce, one for each of us. Each batch is spiced according to what we individually like.

In hers? The same amount of cumin, paprika, and mustard powder as I put in the entire pot of chili. She LOVES the BBQ sauce.

So I think you're right on - it's a bias.

Big George's BBQ
10-27-2010, 01:30 PM
That looks pretty good to me

Southern Home Boy
10-27-2010, 02:22 PM

:eusa_clappssst... armor goes both ways... pass it on...:heh:

Boshizzle
10-27-2010, 07:03 PM
Everything looks good, btcg, despite your wife's aversion to salt and spicy flavors. Personally, I love these kinds of threads. They go to show that there is more than one way to cook great BBQ and that even long time BBQ brethren members don't know everything about it.

The brisket looks good and if you say it's one of the best you have cooked I take your word for it. The whole "hot & fast" vs. the "low and slow" debate is a bit old and done. It's kind of like beating a horse. Everyone has their way of cooking great BBQ and that's good enough for me.

40 years is a long time to be cooking BBQ. Just because you haven't been using a Jambo or a Lang to cook it doesn't diminish from your experience. I bet Kreuz Market never used a Lang or a Jambo either. But, they are more well known than most on this forum.

The Guru can improve your BBQ if you need help in stabilizing temps. And, that is exactly what the NanoQ and Guru/Stoker devices do.

jestridge
10-27-2010, 07:37 PM
Looks very nice

GrillinFool
01-25-2011, 02:00 PM
I've never injected my briskets and they usually come out stellar. May need to take it to the next level. I know all the pros are all about injecting...

btcg
01-25-2011, 02:17 PM
I've never injected my briskets and they usually come out stellar. May need to take it to the next level. I know all the pros are all about injecting...

The injection, to me, is critical. I hit it with as much as it can take (Myron's advice: the more you get in it, the more flavor you'll have), and let it marinade at least, overnight.

I was a hot & fast guy, but with the results I'm getting these days, it's low & slow for me.

Sorry Myron!

Bluesman
01-25-2011, 02:24 PM
Now that is a work of art :thumb:

deepsouth
01-25-2011, 02:25 PM
excellent!

btcg
01-25-2011, 02:34 PM
Thank you guys.

Chef Jim
01-25-2011, 03:28 PM
The injection, to me, is critical. I hit it with as much as it can take (Myron's advice: the more you get in it, the more flavor you'll have), and let it marinade at least, overnight.

I was a hot & fast guy, but with the results I'm getting these days, it's low & slow for me.

Sorry Myron!

I agree with you. I inject all the time and never brine either. Myron was at a comp here in FL last weekend, I think he took third or forth in brisket. But he won second over all.

Bub-Ba-Q won first. :clap2:

bigabyte
01-25-2011, 03:29 PM
That looks like you nailed it!:cool:

btcg
01-25-2011, 04:22 PM
That looks like you nailed it!:cool:

Thanks Chris,

Last saturdays was better, but getting consistant results like you see.

righteousdog
01-25-2011, 05:04 PM

ummm...where's the snow ?

:becky:

lucky guy...and looks tasty

btcg
01-25-2011, 05:54 PM
ummm...where's the snow ?

:becky:

lucky guy...and looks tasty

That cook occurred a week before Halloween, when it was still warm here in MD.

The thread got revived because someone questioned whether you could do a brisket like that on a kettle (and as a link to a knockoff injection).

Thanks!

Dave Russell
01-25-2011, 05:59 PM
Three queastions come to mind. What's the best way to buy Butcher's? Was that a whole packer? Do you really notice enough flavor from the lump, especially if foiling? I cooked some chicken once on my first offset w/ nothing but lump and thought it could've tasted the same from the oven. Maybe the kettle or wsm's would get more smoke on it than my offset did, so I might try it.

btcg
01-25-2011, 06:16 PM
Three queastions come to mind. 1- What's the best way to buy Butcher's? 2-Was that a whole packer? 3-Do you really notice enough flavor from the lump, especially if foiling? I cooked some chicken once on my first offset w/ nothing but lump and thought it could've tasted the same from the oven. Maybe the kettle or wsm's would get more smoke on it than my offset did, so I might try it.

1- Follow the link that appears near the top of the page. Butcher's Block is a sponsor and it's a clickable link to their site.

2- No, a point, I believe (sorry, been a few months).

3- I did foil that, but only to protect the bark. In retrospect, I shouldn't have: I like a little more bark. I'm not foiling these days. As to taste through the foil, Myron Mixon said this about foiling at his class:

"I don't worry about smoke penetrating when I foil (he foils his whole hog when it goes on)... believe me, plenty of smoke will get through to it."

My take? Your first 2 hours are gonna give you plenty of smoke for taste. If you foil later, it's not gonna hurt.

Hope this helped.

Contracted Cookers
01-25-2011, 06:21 PM
whoo remind not to post brisket pics or talk about my wifes taste preference

Panthers65
01-25-2011, 06:48 PM
Looks good man, i've yet to be convinced of the hot and fast method, i've seen it make some good meat, but not better than a good low and slow method. Looks good!

btcg
01-25-2011, 06:51 PM
Looks good man, i've yet to be convinced of the hot and fast method, i've seen it make some good meat, but not better than a good low and slow method. Looks good!

Thanks P6!

Dave Russell
01-25-2011, 06:54 PM
The reason I asked was that it looked like a flat, not a whole brisket and I was just curious.

Regarding the foil, does Myron have a Reynolds Wrap sponsorship? Foiling whole hog bbq just doesn't sound right to me since it has the skin on it. Anyway, I wondered what you meant by foiling to "save the bark" when you were cooking low-n-slow. Regarding temps though, not only will there always be an ongoing debate between the merits of fast and slow bbq methods, there's the level of importance we put on maintaining a constant temp. I've heard claims of "shocking the meat" with temp fluctuations, but I read a curious book by a guy named Gary Wiviott (Low and Slow) that seemed to claim that bbq cooked at constant low-n-slow temps wouldn't have as good bark as bbq cooked with a few moderate temp spikes. I know this sounds crazy to ya, but what evidence would you give for a constant 235* being such a vital component to a good brisket? Points are the most forgiving part, anyway.

I appreciate the reply, and will probably eventually give the Butcher's a try. As much as I don't like messing with injections, I do see the need for it to get consistantly flavorful briskets.

BRBBQ
01-25-2011, 06:58 PM
That cook occurred a week before Halloween, when it was still warm here in MD.

The thread got revived because someone questioned whether you could do a brisket like that on a kettle (and as a link to a knockoff injection).

Thanks!
Halloween cook:confused:That explains why there's no BW Chubby:becky: Looks real good btcg. Is that a 5 cfm fan on the nano?

btcg
01-25-2011, 07:06 PM
The reason I asked was that it looked like a flat, not a whole brisket and I was just curious.

Regarding the foil, does Myron have a Reynolds Wrap sponsorship? Foiling whole hog bbq just doesn't sound right to me since it has the skin on it. Anyway, I wondered what you meant by foiling to "save the bark" when you were cooking low-n-slow. Regarding temps though, not only will there always be an ongoing debate between the merits of fast and slow bbq methods, there's the level of importance we put on maintaining a constant temp. I've heard claims of "shocking the meat" with temp fluctuations, but I read a curious book by a guy named Gary Wiviott (Low and Slow) that seemed to claim that bbq cooked at constant low-n-slow temps wouldn't have as good bark as bbq cooked with a few moderate temp spikes. I know this sounds crazy to ya, but what evidence would you give for a constant 235* being such a vital component to a good brisket? Points are the most forgiving part, anyway.

I appreciate the reply, and will probably eventually give the Butcher's a try. As much as I don't like messing with injections, I do see the need for it to get consistantly flavorful briskets.

That cook was a while ago, and I'm forced to rely on memory. Sorry!

As to Myron & a foil sponsorship? I doubt it. Ask him. His site his:

http://jacksoldsouth.com

His reasoning for foiling the hog is to protect the skin, as you want it crispy but not hardened. I've tasted his work. I can tell you, he's right: there was plenty of smokey flavor.

As to evidence... how's this:

http://banklinerelay.com/chubby/chubby2/5.jpg

That was done low & slow last saturday @ 26 degree temps (and lower) . Pretty fair bark. Another half-hour would have been better, but it was 1:30 am, and I still needed to rest it before putting it in the fridge.

btcg
01-25-2011, 07:12 PM
Halloween cook:confused:That explains why there's no BW Chubby:becky: Looks real good btcg. Is that a 5 cfm fan on the nano?

Yep, a 5. Does all I need it to do.

Hank Daddy's Barbecue
01-25-2011, 07:16 PM
time to get me a stoker.

btcg
01-25-2011, 07:20 PM
time to get me a stoker.

Hank Daddy? Like Hank Williams?

Mister Bob
01-25-2011, 07:29 PM
That's a great looking brisket! I can almost taste it! I guess I'm going shopping tomorrow! I'm also sold on low and slow, and use the CyberQ II to make things easier. BBQ Guru make a terrific product and Fred and Bob over there are great guys and great competitors. I often run into them at comps and make sure I spend some time in their camp when I do.

btcg
01-25-2011, 07:32 PM
That's a great looking brisket! I can almost taste it! I guess I'm going shopping tomorrow! I'm also sold on low and slow, and use the CyberQ II to make things easier. BBQ Guru make a terrific product and Fred and Bob over there are great guys and great competitors. I often run into them at comps and make sure I spend some time in their camp when I do.

Thank you sir! Coming from you, that's a real compliment.

Love BBQ Guru's stuff. I remember the episode where they made a trip to Lee Ann's to fix her Guru (she didn't have the fan plugged in all the way). They do seem like very nice people.

Homebrewed Q
01-25-2011, 08:53 PM

Sorry Myron!

Ok, so let the injection and briskie get to room temp, inject LOTS, then to the fridge for overnight? Do you wrap it or just leave in a pan?

Thanks for all of the info on this thread btcg!

Boshizzle
01-25-2011, 08:58 PM
Extraordinaire! Nice brisket!

btcg
01-25-2011, 09:01 PM
Ok, so let the injection and briskie get to room temp, inject LOTS, then to the fridge for overnight? Do you wrap it or just leave in a pan?

Thanks for all of the info on this thread btcg!

Place the brisket in a plastic bag... the clear gallon type work well. Place that in a pan, just to be safe. You don't need a fridge mess, eh?

Glad to help.

btcg
01-25-2011, 09:04 PM
Extraordinaire! Nice brisket!

Thanks bro!

Boshizzle
01-25-2011, 09:05 PM
Thanks bro!

You gotta have me over to try some of that great lookin' Que! :-P

btcg
01-25-2011, 09:10 PM
You gotta have me over to try some of that great lookin' Que! :-P

Absolutely! We'll cook us up a storm, and I'll get a fresh keg for the kegerator. Brew & Q... the way to go.

Boshizzle
01-25-2011, 09:12 PM
Absolutely! We'll cook us up a storm, and I'll get a fresh keg for the kegerator. Brew & Q... the way to go.

Sounds awesome! :clap2:

Phyphor
01-26-2011, 12:22 AM
So do you use your BWS Chubby on brisket these days?

KnucklHed BBQ
01-26-2011, 01:03 AM
yo btcg!

Just curious, from the looks of your pics, it looks like you've pulled them apart with the grain, are you pulling your briskie or slicing it across the grain? Are the pics with the grain just to show tenderness?

I'll vouch for the butcher's injection!! Great stuff! I tried all kinds of things before getting my hands on butchers - I won't cook one without injecting it with butchers now!! :thumb:
It's also worth mentioning that the injection "sets up" after a few hours of mixing/before injecting. Letting it set for a few hours helps it thicken slightly and I think the phosphates in it absorb more water.

Great lookin briskies BTW!

btcg
01-26-2011, 07:45 AM
So do you use your BWS Chubby on brisket these days?

Yes. Love & respect the Weber kettle, but it's a place holder these days. The last one posted was done on the BWS.

btcg
01-26-2011, 07:56 AM
yo btcg!

Just curious, from the looks of your pics, it looks like you've pulled them apart with the grain, are you pulling your briskie or slicing it across the grain? Are the pics with the grain just to show tenderness?

I'll vouch for the butcher's injection!! Great stuff! I tried all kinds of things before getting my hands on butchers - I won't cook one without injecting it with butchers now!! :thumb:
It's also worth mentioning that the injection "sets up" after a few hours of mixing/before injecting. Letting it set for a few hours helps it thicken slightly and I think the phosphates in it absorb more water.

Great lookin briskies BTW!

I slice against the grain, but what you see in those pictures is the brisket before slicing. They were so tender as to come apart just in handling them.

Now, if I'm in a comp, I'm gonna use a large spatula and get under them to move em, so as to ensure they can be sliced.

But these were for the fam, so there was no need in getting another kitchen tool dirty.

And, I like that they came out so tender that they can actually be pulled, like a butt, and have the juiciness that doesn't require an au jus.

JS-TX
01-26-2011, 07:18 PM
Might be a dumb question, but just what type of flavor does a injection of Butchers (or similar) impart on a brisket? Does it give it a beefier flavor? I've been pretty happy with most of my briskets w/out injecting, but I think it's time to try it out. Thanks. Brisket looks awesome BTW.

Campfire Girl
01-26-2011, 07:48 PM
Might be a dumb question, but just what type of flavor does a injection of Butchers (or similar) impart on a brisket? Does it give it a beefier flavor? I've been pretty happy with most of my briskets w/out injecting, but I think it's time to try it out. Thanks. Brisket looks awesome BTW.

I don't use my injection for flavor as much as for moisture. I use a commercial boullion paste sort of like a Demi Glaze, and dilute it of course. It does add a little beefy taste, so all the better.