PDA

View Full Version : Phil's Prim Rib

Davewey
09-22-2004, 03:16 PM
Phil need you help just got back from Sams. I had them cut me off a seven lb hunk of prime rib. She brought out a 17 lb cravat prime rib that was to big so like I said she cut it down for me.

This is how I remember you doing it. Take it up to 130 internal then use a hot ass Webber moving continually for five minutes or so to thinking up the bark?

Does that sound right and what did you rub it with.

Thanks for your help o wise one.

Bill-Chicago
09-22-2004, 03:21 PM
Dave's question, and is 7.99# a good price?

Davewey
09-22-2004, 03:22 PM
6.49 at Sams

Bill-Chicago
09-22-2004, 03:23 PM
Thanks

Davewey
09-22-2004, 04:16 PM
So wear does prime rib come from?

spicewine
09-22-2004, 05:31 PM
I did 70 pounds of prime rib from Sam's for a fund raiser. I did not use a rub, but instead used a puree of vadailia onion and fresh garlic and covered each one after first salt and peppering. Cooked it for 6 hours no smoke. The bark was really great, kind of like french fried onion and the meat had a great flavor. There were no leftovers.

markbet
09-22-2004, 05:49 PM
A local grocery store has cryovac packages of ribeye. Is that the same as prime rib? And my guess would be to fix one of these 10-12lb ribeyes the same as brisket?

cookswithfire
09-22-2004, 07:47 PM
Markbet
Dont do it ...Ribeye(prime rib without the bone) should be cooked to 140 its already tender so it should not have to go through the long process we put our briskets through to get them tender..

markbet
09-22-2004, 08:03 PM
Markbet
Dont do it ...Ribeye(prime rib without the bone) should be cooked to 140 its already tender so it should not have to go through the long process we put our briskets through to get them tender..

How would I fix it on the smoker, or is prime rib just not fixed that way?

markbet
09-22-2004, 08:07 PM
I love ribeyes fixed on the grill, I am watering at the mouth thinking of a 10lb ribeye smoked to perfection and just tearing into it :lol:

BBQchef33
09-22-2004, 08:15 PM
Phil need you help just got back from Sams. I had them cut me off a seven lb hunk of prime rib. She brought out a 17 lb cravat prime rib that was to big so like I said she cut it down for me.

This is how I remember you doing it. Take it up to 130 internal then use a hot ass Webber moving continually for five minutes or so to thinking up the bark?

Does that sound right and what did you rub it with.

Thanks for your help o wise one.

ok.. heres da secret. EDITED 12/21/06 **Phil ** Ingriedent change to include turbinado sugar. Techniquie change to avoid charring over coals and using a high heat finish in the chamber.
The actual, and maintained recipe is in our recipe section under **Brethren beef** / Grand Poobahs Prime rib.

measurements are approx.
cup+ teriaki
half cup+ soy sauce
half of a small bottle gravy master and half small bottle kitchen bouquet(or you can use a whole bottle of either if ya cant find one or the other).
add about a tablespoon of Montreal steak seasoning and a table spoon of turbinado sugar to this mixture and let it sit for about 10 minutes. Then pour it all over the roast.

For the rub, use a heavy dose of turbinado and rub it all over the roast, use the liquid in the pan to start a bit of a paste. If more liguid is needed, use teriyaki or kitchen bouquet. Then use a heavy hand of montreal steak seasoning. Rub it in, then add some more on top and just tap that on so it stays put.

let the roast sit for about half hour, covered.

Fist half hour to 45 minutes I cook in the hotspot or at 300+ degrees, maybe a little higher. When internal is about 90 degrees move it to your normal cookin spot and cook at about 250 till internal is 135. Take it off and roll around on a hot grill till internal reachs 140-145, then take it off ant let it sit, wrapped loosly. Let it rest about 20-30 minutes. Temps climb into the 150's.

changed 12/21/06. due to turbinado, This will char the outside.. If a nice bark is desired instead, avoid the hot coals, instead raise heat the last 10 miniutes or so, when roast hits 125, push heat up to 350+.

this will yield rare inside and medium on the outboard slices. If you want to go rarer, take it off at 130 and grill to 140 then cover and rest.

The roast at B4 was removed at 152 degrees. I didnt get to grill it too much cause i didnt want to turn it to the botton of a shoe, so i just rolled it in the hotspot for a minute. Usually, i roll it right over the coals in the firebox as close to the coals as i can get.

This can also be used on roast beefs, top rounds...... any beef roasts.

BTW.... i have seen 2 roasts at costco, one is a Boneless prime rib and the other is a RibEye.... I THINK there is a diffrence even though they are both Prime ribs cuts, one i think is just tribbed. It looked to me like the ribeye is the 'eye' of the cut, the inside section of the roast, the trimmed eye of the roast.... and the prime rib has that highly marbled outside pieces attached to it. The steaks are bigger nad shaped different... ya know those pieces on the outside of the steak that are more well done than the cnter but has the best flavor... thats the stuff.... I always go for the Prime Rib. Thats what was at the bash.

parrothead
09-22-2004, 08:47 PM
The steaks are bigger nad shaped different

Nad shaped?

Wayne
09-22-2004, 10:56 PM
You cannot screw up a prime rib roast. It is made from support muscles and can take heat up to 500 degrees and stay tender. I have fixed it all kinds of ways. Plain, rubbed with chili powder, Boars Breath (Belly Busters now), any way you choose and it should turn out great. I recommend that newbie's start out with prime rib so they get hooked on the smoker with little chance of a farkup. The best cut of steak is also a rib eye. Always tender and can really take a hot grill for a fast sear on the outside leaving the inside tender and red. If Adam had not ate the damned apple then the whole cow would have been prime rib.

markbet
09-22-2004, 11:11 PM
Thanks Wayne for the info. I am going to give it a shot this coming weekend. Actually I am anxious to get started. Rib eye iis my favorite type of steak, IMO has a better flavor than a filet.

Wayne
09-23-2004, 09:47 AM
I agree about the flavor on the rib eye. That area of the cow produces the best tasting meat to me. I had to go to the Army food service school when I was Quartermaster officer and the butchers told a lot about beef and how to cut it and cook it. That training has always served me well. One thing that has stuck with me is the need to cook muscles that MOVE the beast at a temp below 280 degrees or you will make the meat instantly tough. Muscles that only SUPPORT the beast (usually located on the back) can take temps up to 500 degrees without getting tough. That means that the prime rib/rib eye cut can be seared really hot to put a nice crust on the outside that seals in the juice, and still have a rare center that milts in your mouth. A motion cut like round steak cannot get over 280 degrees or it will turn into shoe leather. That is why round steak has to be treated with care when grilling or it will be too tough. Brisket can develop that crust also but it is not the same as searing it over hot fire. With brisket you cook it below 280 degrees for a long time to break down the cologen to make it tender. That means that you cannot cook a rare brisket and have it tender like a rib eye or rib roast.

markbet
09-23-2004, 11:37 AM
Good information Wayne! Thank you, I will put it to good use.

parrothead
09-23-2004, 11:40 AM
Make sure you do not get the ones that are gonad shaped.

markbet
09-23-2004, 01:59 PM
smoked mountain oysters...........thats another idea.

spicewine
09-23-2004, 04:16 PM
Sometimes you feel like a NUT and sometimes you don't ! :lol:

brdbbq
09-23-2004, 04:27 PM
The steaks are bigger nad shaped different

Nad shaped?

Have not seen that shape in the meat market down here. If you snip them and let them set do they swell ?

Solidkick
12-20-2004, 02:37 PM
I was fortunate <sp> to have brother JT give me a call and tell me that one of our local grocery stores was
running prime rib roasts for $3.99 a lb, limit one. Walked in there today and said "cut me a fresh 5 pounder"!!
Then I called JT on my cell and said, "you better send me a link to the prime rib thread".
Guess what's for supper latter this week? Thanks JT!

sirthames
12-21-2004, 01:12 AM
I am so glad to be a member of this group. The free information you all give out is so helpful. Is Sam's the best place to purchase your meat or would going to a butcher shop give you a better cut?

BBQchef33
12-21-2004, 06:34 AM
i heard thru the grapvine that Sams, BJ's and Costco are Restaurant grade meats. Most of the time they are graded USDA choice, but I have had nothing but good luck with Costco cuts. I have seens Hoice stuff from there that beats the usda select and prime stuff from a butcher.. sometime, i think his "prime" stuff is the same ccrap that he just feels like charging more for.

chad
12-21-2004, 08:16 AM
Select cut is too lean to be Choice and is actually what most consumers want -- the health nuts have convinced everyone that lean tasteless meat it good. :D "

USDA Prime is only about 2% of the meat in the US - and nearly all off it goes to the high end restaurant places like Ruth's Chris!

What a local butcher calls Prime is probably (not always so don't anyone get their knickers in a knot-I'm not trying to slam butchers - I wish I had access to a private/local butcher) a figment of the butcher's imagination. :twisted: When in doubt look for the Prime stamp on the meat or ask to see the receiving invoice - they are going to really stick the $$$ to you for Prime so make sure you're getting what you think you're paying for.

I buy a lot of meat from Sam's and GFS and have rarely been disappointed. They are getting the same IBP primal cuts and cryovac meats as the restaurant industry. IBP was recently aquired by Tyson Foods - hence part of Tyson's move into pork and beef :D

Heck, if you have good local sources use them - for most of us our best bet is Sam's, Costco, GFS, etc. I buy very little meat from Albertson's, Kash n Karry, etc. because it's cut too small or is too lean for what I plan to do (BBQ) - the exception, of course, would be brisket from HEB is San Antonio!! :D But even in that case you're dealing with a cryovac packer cut.

Hey, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Arlin_MacRae
12-21-2004, 01:43 PM
I am so glad to be a member of this group. The free information you all give out is so helpful. Is Sam's the best place to purchase your meat or would going to a butcher shop give you a better cut?
I buy most of my meat from Sam's because it's usually priced well and the selection is hard to beat. I've never had a problem with quality, either.

jt
05-13-2005, 01:39 PM
Ok, doing this tomorrow. Knowing that each piece of meat is different, about how long will it take to get a 5# prime rib up to 130-135? Just wanting to start it at the right time for dinner.

Bigdog
05-13-2005, 02:17 PM
Ok, doing this tomorrow. Knowing that each piece of meat is different, about how long will it take to get a 5# prime rib up to 130-135? Just wanting to start it at the right time for dinner.

Then I suggest that you start cooking before dinner. :P

But seriously, shouldn't it be about the same as a roast or about 1 1/2 hours per pound? I don't know for sure as I have yet to get up enough kahonies to try one. :oops: Let us know how it comes out.

jt
05-13-2005, 02:33 PM
I was thinking the 1 1/2 hours per pound was to get it to brisket doneness, like 190 or so. I can't remember when we ate it at the bash but Phil didn't get there until afternoon, right? And I know I remember eating it way before dark.

Mind isn't working too well today. Still fighting off this farkin' cough crap going around everywhere.

chad
05-13-2005, 02:43 PM
For most cuts at 350 you need 15 minutes per pound - obviously at 250 or so you'll need more - guestimating 30-45 minutes per pound. Use your thermometer to hit the target temp - remember that the temp will climb even if you DON'T "roll it over the coals" so depending on how rare you want your prime rib keep it "cool".

So, I'd guess 2-3 hours and some finishing and resting time.

jt
05-13-2005, 02:55 PM
Thanks, DF. I'm gonna do it "textbook" - 30 minutes or so at 300 then drop temp to 250 until 130-135 internal. I like it "red but hot" in the middle so probably pull it soon after 130. Then roll it over the coals til 140 & wrap it. So that puts me around 3 hours?

Neil
05-14-2005, 06:18 AM
I buy all my pork and beef roasts from Sam's. Steaks I buy at a local independant grocer 1.5 miles away that always has "dark" steaks for sale early in the morning at $2.99/lb. Doesn't matter if they are ribeye, porterhouse, or NY strip, etc. As soon as they start to lose color he pulls them off the shelf and marks them down.

BBQchef33
05-16-2005, 11:21 AM
sorry, didt see this, so its too late, but i always do 8-10lbers for about 4-4.5 hours at 250. Start out high, over 300 for 45 minutes, then drop to 250-275. if you want red inside, pull at 120-125 and roll to 130-130 and let it rest. If you pull at 130 it wil be med-rare in the middle, med-well towards the ends. Bring a primerib over 140 and you have well done and grey 20 minutes later. :oops: :cry:

jt
05-16-2005, 11:59 AM
No prob, Phil. It was slightly pink in the middle as I said. I'll pull and roll it a little earlier next time.

You were out of town, right? And once again, we have no proof that Jorge exists. :twisted:

BAG3
05-16-2005, 05:17 PM
http://members.tripod.com/~BayGourmet/primerib.html

Here is another way I have found