PDA

View Full Version : jerky

parrdist
10-17-2010, 11:32 PM
Can you use a UDS to make Beef Jerky? If so do you have any recipes?

gjdad
10-18-2010, 12:32 AM
Can you use a UDS to make Beef Jerky? If so do you have any recipes?

You mean intentionally? :icon_blush:

Captain Dave
10-18-2010, 05:11 AM
I tried to make jerky on the uds once. Unfortunately I did it when i was hungry and well, you can guess the rest of the story. I marinaded the beef strips in evoo with garlic powder, black pepper, onion powder, salt, and paprika. The taste was pretty good. Maybe next time I''ll try a bigger batch. Or maybe I'll go buy a dehydrator.
Ive been thinking about making some jerky too. Yesterday i saw some jerky seasoning at the grocery store in it's own display that got me thinking about it.

SmokinAussie
10-18-2010, 05:54 AM
UDS is a bit hot. Yes you can do it, but the key thing about Jerky is that is is Air Dried.
You really should use a cold smoker for the smoke component, and then just hang it outside... If you use a UDS I'm thinking you're gonna cook it and eat it right there!

Cheers!

Bill

Kingz
10-18-2010, 08:55 AM
I've made some a few times.
I hang the strips with toothpicks, you can really pack them in with good circulation that way.
You may have to try it once or twice to get your temp right. I keep the temp pretty low now, 150 or so, but 175-200 also works, just a different result. Not better or worse, just a different style.
I found a simple soy-worst-spice marinate that I've modified each time.
I suggest keeping it simple and just try it a few ways and find the result that works for the result you want. It's all good and will be eaten up faster than you think. Then make another batch!:becky:

nthole
10-18-2010, 09:26 AM
I've done jerky in the Bandera and in a WSM. As said before the key is keeping the temp REALLLY low. Below 150 for sure. That means a very small fire (like couple of briquettes) some chips maybe. Also it would be good to put in something to deflect the direct heat.

I've used some of Alton Browns marinades, smoked for a bit, then done the air filters strapped to the box fan method with a lot of success.

kcchiefdav
10-18-2010, 10:44 AM
In my youth, I used to make beef jerky in the oven (set on the low setting) and left the door cracked an inch or so. Thus, I suspect that if you can keep your fire small enough in the UDS, jerky shouldn't be a problem. I actually plan on trying it myself soon.

redbandit98
10-18-2010, 03:54 PM
what is the best cut of meat to use for jerkey? I have also been thinking about having some sliced up.

gjdad
10-18-2010, 04:04 PM
what is the best cut of meat to use for jerkey? I have also been thinking about having some sliced up.

To me the flavor comes from the process rather than the starting meat. Anything can be used, as tenderness isn’t a factor. If you cure, marinate and spice the meat subtle flavors of quality cuts of meat will probably not be easily perceived. Game is used a lot venison comes to mind.

SmokinAussie
10-18-2010, 04:58 PM

I use Round, as it is lean as you can get for the dollar. If you buy it whole in a cryopac, you get the bext price and toy also end up with a few scraps you can put into other dishes, make sausages etc. It's important to trim off as much fat as you can.

Cheers!

Bill

Bigdog
10-18-2010, 09:46 PM
Call me crazy but can't you just put a water pan in one and run it at lower temps much like you would with a WSM?

Hoss
10-18-2010, 11:09 PM
One would think so.Or introduce an ice pan to keep temps low.:rolleyes: