PDA

View Full Version : Chile Colorado Pron....

BobBrisket
10-13-2010, 11:14 AM
Funny how we are flooded with real good Mexican food restaurants around here, but my family and I don't really eat Mexican food that often either at a restaurant or at home. Been doing a lot of grilling and Q lately as well as soups and stews and chili. Well, I had Monday off and decided to quench my Mexican food craving. Made a fresh batch of red chile and then made some colorado using pork neck bones and potatoes. Also made a batch of pintos in the pressure cooker and then hit em with the boat motor and LOTS of cheese. Finally, a little sopa de fideo of sorts. Course the customary jalap and flour torts. Good stuff!

deguerre
10-13-2010, 11:16 AM
Yeppers, I'd hit that.

Rover24
10-13-2010, 11:17 AM
Damn that looks good! My wife and her family is from mexico, so my 1 year old gets sopa de fideo quite a bit. Now that you have me thinking about it, I am going to have to share her dinner this evening!

Cast Iron Chef
10-13-2010, 11:17 AM
Can I be the first to say I'd hit that. Looks mighty good!

Cast Iron Chef
10-13-2010, 11:18 AM
Yeppers, I'd hit that.

Dang too late!

BobBrisket
10-13-2010, 11:28 AM
Damn that looks good! My wife and her family is from mexico, so my 1 year old gets sopa de fideo quite a bit. Now that you have me thinking about it, I am going to have to share her dinner this evening!

Yup, sopas are a popular Mexican, quick dish for kids. My kiddos get sopas quite a bit. I know I got a lot as a kid. The nice thing about sopas is that you can hide lots of veggies in em and the kids don't know they are eating em. This time they didn't have a problem with the peas and carrots, but most times we mash the veggies up first so they can't make em out, and they devour the stuff and ask for seconds. Add some cheese...........good stuff.

Thanks again!!

Bob

bigabyte
10-13-2010, 11:34 AM
Drool!:hungry:

bluetang
10-13-2010, 11:34 AM
I'd go for a plate or three:thumb:

Phubar
10-13-2010, 11:36 AM
What can I say?

cowgirl
10-13-2010, 11:40 AM
Mmmmm.... Looks soooo good Bob! Wish I had a plate right now.:-D

gjdad
10-13-2010, 11:43 AM
You know when I was young (30 years ago) naked women was all I wanted to see. Now it's BBQ am I one sick puppy or not. :becky:

chaddie
10-13-2010, 12:03 PM
One tastie looking plate, Bob!! :thumb:

BobBrisket
10-13-2010, 12:10 PM
I wanted to share a couple of funny moments I had when cooking on Monday. I had to "boil" the neck bones since they don't have a whole lot of meat on em, plus I needed some fresh stock to dilute the chile colorado with. I literally asked myself, "Dang, how do I tell them (all o youzes) I had to boil the meat?":laugh: It was also a matter of not wanting to mess with the UDS and a time factor. Plus, pork stock rocks! I also added some onions and garlic to the boil. It was good stuff. At the end, the meat, tatoes, and red chile went in and it slow boiled one more time to thicken and soften the tatoes.

My second funny story was........growing up as a kid, an "old country" remedy my grandmother's used was giving the kids the 'broth' from the beans as a "vitamin" drink since it is packed with iron, vitamins, etc I assume. But, it was also used as a mild laxative.........Beans = Fiber = (you fill in the blank). So I decided to share the broth with my son and daughter!!! Oh boy!! Let's just say yesterday was quite interesting for me at work, and even more interestin for my wife who was at home witht the kids yesterday!!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh: Word of caution, don't take a 2 and 5 year old shopping if dad has given them bean broth the day before!:heh:

Bob

Phubar
10-13-2010, 12:17 PM
Laughing my a$$ off!

flyingv4me
10-13-2010, 12:33 PM
Now THAT's funny!

FamilyManBBQ
10-13-2010, 12:38 PM
Funny stuff Bob!! :laugh: Food looks great! :-D

landarc
10-13-2010, 12:46 PM
Wow, good looking plate you evil hubby.

Big George's BBQ
10-13-2010, 12:54 PM
Good story Food looks grea Would definately hit that. What is chili colorado

BobBrisket
10-13-2010, 01:02 PM
Good story Food looks grea Would definately hit that. What is chili colorado

Basically, just red chile. It's pretty much dry, red chile pods that have been boiled to rehydrate them and then tossed in the blender and put through a food mill or strainer. At that point it's in concentrate form. Very thick. You can then thin out the concentrate with broth to make chile colorado which is the name of the dish as well, or use it in salsas, and other dishes like posole, menudo, mole, or my favorite use........to make Texas style chili.
When one uses 'chile' it's used to mean the actual pod or 'pepper' or the liquid concentrate, then chili is used to mean the Texas style chili which is more the name of the dish. At least that's what I've noticed.

Thanks again.

Gassy Bob!

Smokey Al Gold
10-13-2010, 01:04 PM
Wow that looks awesome! I wish I had a plate of that right now.

garyk1398
10-13-2010, 01:05 PM
Looks great as usual Bob!!

Phesant
10-13-2010, 01:25 PM
BOB, BOB, BOB, BOB, BOB, BOB......
Nicely done Bob..... MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmm...... that looks good :-D

vr6Cop
10-13-2010, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the inspiration Bob! I just finished reading Robb Walsh's (http://www.robbwalsh.com/) The Tex-Mex Cookbook and was going to make some chile puree this evening or tomorrow for some old style enchiladas for tomorrow's supper.

Your chile colorado looks amazing, and makes a gringo like me want to dye my hair and mustache black! :biggrin:

Moose
10-13-2010, 02:46 PM
Yep, I'd hit that 4 sure! Care to share the Chile Colorado recipe?

BobBrisket
10-13-2010, 03:42 PM
Yep, I'd hit that 4 sure! Care to share the Chile Colorado recipe?

The basic process for making the concentrate is here:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48865&highlight=chile+colorado

As for the actual dish itself, it's really just a soup or stew with some red chile concentrate added to it. What you add is up to you. Think of the process you would follow to make chicken soup, the only differennce is you would add some concentrate to the soup. For my basic colorado recipe I use pork and it can either be raw or leftover Q and potatoes. I've even used leftover chicken and brisket too. When using raw pork, I usually boil it cause I'll need some stock anyway. When using smoked/precooked meat, then I use the chile water as stock and then let the smoked meat add its flavor as well.
I had two half full gallon sized zips leftover of puree. I simply lay em flat in the deep freeze with all the air removed and let em freeze into brick form.
The last thing to decide is how thick you want the stew to be in the end. If you want it real thick, then remove most of the stock and make up the difference with puree. If you want it soupier, then leave most of the stock and just add enough puree to color and flavor the broth.
Hope this helps.

Bob

Norcoredneck
10-13-2010, 06:09 PM
Nice!

Moose
10-13-2010, 06:14 PM
Thanks, Bob. I checked out the link - what kind of chiles do you use? We usually use a combo of New Mexico and Guajillo.

The basic process for making the concentrate is here:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48865&highlight=chile+colorado
Hope this helps.

Bob

Boshizzle
10-13-2010, 07:55 PM
That's making me reallly hungry. Nice!

BlueHowler
10-13-2010, 08:32 PM
Thanks, Bob. I checked out the link - what kind of chiles do you use? We usually use a combo of New Mexico and Guajillo.

I'm a student of Mexican cuisine and that is what I like to use for Chile Colorado. If New Mexico Chile is not available dried Ancho and Guajillo chiles work also.

Almost all the chiles mentioned can be found in large cities at the local Latin market.

leanza
10-13-2010, 09:03 PM
Absolutely killer looking comida. That is what im about, that plate.

BobBrisket
10-13-2010, 10:38 PM

Moose,

Mostly the NM but I try to add either guajillos or anchos or a few of each for another layer of heat and flavor. In Mondays batch I also tossed in a couple smoked chipotles I made a while back. Added just a little smokiness to the batch.

Bob

eugeque
10-13-2010, 10:42 PM
That looks rightous! We just had posole with neck bones and chicken breast.

BobBrisket
10-13-2010, 11:04 PM
That looks rightous! We just had posole with neck bones and chicken breast.

That's good eating right there too! :thumb:

Bob