PDA

View Full Version : Yankee Que-ing for Southerners

42BBQ
10-13-2010, 08:35 AM
Okay so I have this awesome opportunity to Que again on a larger scale. Up to this point in my rookie year of Que since building my drum in the summer I mostly Que for my family or smaller groups. Due to budget constraints (four kids, one income) I have to balance my desire to Que every other day with the money in my pocket.

So here's the deal. Coming up in a couple weeks I am throwing a Que bash for my wife's entire family as well as my mother-in-law's family. Approximately 35 people. My plan is to do two 15 # shoulders from Costco on the UDS. I will get them resting two hours prior to dinner and fire up a whole grate of ABT's probably about 6 dozen or so. And the best part is? I get to Que for some folks that live in Tennessee and Missouri. I can then pose some questions about how my stuff my compare to legit, southern style pulled pork. Am I up for the challenge? We'll see. Can't wait, if any of you south of the mason dixon line want to give me any pointers I'll take 'em. Thanks all.

gjdad
10-13-2010, 08:39 AM
Okay so I have this awesome opportunity to Que again on a larger scale. Up to this point in my rookie year of Que since building my drum in the summer I mostly Que for my family or smaller groups. Due to budget constraints (four kids, one income) I have to balance my desire to Que every other day with the money in my pocket.

So here's the deal. Coming up in a couple weeks I am throwing a Que bash for my wife's entire family as well as my mother-in-law's family. Approximately 35 people. My plan is to do two 15 # shoulders from Costco on the UDS. I will get them resting two hours prior to dinner and fire up a whole grate of ABT's probably about 6 dozen or so. And the best part is? I get to Que for some folks that live in Tennessee and Missouri. I can then pose some questions about how my stuff my compare to legit, southern style pulled pork. Am I up for the challenge? We'll see. Can't wait, if any of you south of the mason dixon line want to give me any pointers I'll take 'em. Thanks all.

Start cooking early, no matter what else happens your BBQ will take longer than you plan. I would suggest you cook the shoulders at least two of them the day before. If you cook all you shoulder the day before you could make some baked beans with a bit of the shoulder on the day of the party. I would suggest Bush's, throw in some green pepper, onion, brown sugar, chili's to taste and you already awesome pulled pork. Day of the party warm your shoulder to 140 degrees then show off by shredding then in front of the guests. Make a little slaw, serve a few beans, pulled pork on a bun and you have a feast! They are probably Memphis style BBQ eaters, so any sauce on the side please.

Garyclaw
10-13-2010, 09:53 AM
Make a big batch of Keri's Hog Apple Baked Beans to go with the pork.:-D It will knock their socks off!

1FUNVET
10-13-2010, 09:58 AM
From about as far south of Mason-Dixon line ya can be in LA without being in the Gulf of Mexico. Make sure you have plenty of cold beer and any true southern boy will be happy.:becky:

gjdad
10-13-2010, 09:59 AM
From about as far south of Mason-Dixon line ya can be in LA without being in the Gulf of Mexico. Make sure you have plenty of cold beer and any true southern boy will be happy.:becky:

Well the "hillbillys" are more of a white lighting crew :becky:

deguerre
10-13-2010, 10:00 AM

What he said.:thumb:
Prepare the food the way YOU like it and everyone else should like it too!

nucleargeek
10-13-2010, 12:34 PM
Finish ahead of time, have plenty of beer, and have fun. The pork will do just fine!

Southern Home Boy
10-13-2010, 05:07 PM
Well the "hillbillys" are more of a white lighting crew :becky:

'Course, if they got any kind of upbringin' they'll bring they own.... T'ain't right ta go sumplace empty-handed. :tsk::wink:

peppasawce
10-13-2010, 05:12 PM
Put love and seasoning in with a couple of coolers full of cold ones, and wine coolers for the Ladies and you will be fine LOL

gjdad
10-13-2010, 05:31 PM
'Course, if they got any kind of upbringin' they'll bring they own.... T'ain't right ta go sumplace empty-handed. :tsk::wink:

True very true:becky:

rookiedad
10-13-2010, 08:50 PM
i am from the south... of Brooklyn, but permit me to chime in as well! i would leave at least four hours to rest the butts to give you some buffer time. you can always foil and cooler them and they will stay hot. if you cook them the day before i would pull and bag it and reheat it in a pan in the oven the next day with some sauce on it. i would also consider making a huge bucket of cole slaw, a small truckload of corn bread and a tanker of sweeeet tea!

1_T_Scot
10-13-2010, 08:50 PM
Make Sweeeeet Tea (there is no other way to have tea!) atleast 1/2 cup of sugar too a gallon.

42BBQ
10-13-2010, 08:55 PM
Anybody ever do 30 lbs of pork shoulder on one UDS grate? That's the plan, giving myself about 20 hours.

42BBQ
10-13-2010, 08:56 PM
Sweet Tea!!!! Already have a great home brew for that. I go with 3/4 cup of sugar for a gallon though. Don't call it sweet tea for nothin'! I can't wait.

Garyclaw
10-14-2010, 03:33 AM
Anybody ever do 30 lbs of pork shoulder on one UDS grate? That's the plan, giving myself about 20 hours.

I did close to 30 lbs. on the UDS with no problem.:thumb: (one grate)