PDA

View Full Version : Xl bge

BBQ_MAFIA
10-02-2010, 06:04 PM
I saw an XL BGE today with what looked like a new dome that was higher then those that I have seen in the past. It looked more like the and over sized large BGE. Was this an odd ball one off or is it a new design? I have heard talk they were making a change but this is the first time that I've seen a difference.

Do you guys have any thoughts.

I've thought about building a pizza oven on the patio then I thought I might just get the XL Egg instead.

Comments/Thoughts please.

"Sparky"
10-02-2010, 06:17 PM
That is the "new design".It has a bunch more dome space than the previous model.I have one of the older models and love it.I would definitely recommend it :thumb:

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
10-02-2010, 06:19 PM
I saw an XL BGE today with what looked like a new dome that was higher then those that I have seen in the past. It looked more like the and over sized large BGE. Was this an odd ball one off or is it a new design? I have heard talk they were making a change but this is the first time that I've seen a difference.

I've thought about building a pizza oven on the patio then I thought I might just get the XL Egg instead.

They redesigned the dome lid a few months ago to give more clearance. The egg will certainly be more versatile but the oven might look cooler.

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
10-02-2010, 06:21 PM
That is the "new design".It has a bunch more dome space than the previous model.I have one of the older models and love it.I would definitely recommend it :thumb:

I have an older model XL as well and never really had any clearance problems.

R2Egg2Q
10-02-2010, 06:22 PM
The XL dome was redesigned earlier this year. Here's a post that shows the new XL next to the old XL: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1151962&postcount=15. I bought mine in July and love it. I've only tried pizzas on it once and although they came out decent I don't have the technique down yet so I can't really say if you should get one just for pizza. I've been really happy with how it has done on meats (I've done brisket, pork butt, ribs, chicken, MOINK balls, meatloaf etc...) and they've done well. We've made bread that came out great as well but that was in a dutch oven placed inside the Egg.

MilitantSquatter
10-02-2010, 06:41 PM

Guido - If you've got a choice, and since you already have other pits & grills including a L & M BGE, I'd go for the pizza oven rather than the XL BGE.

The higher dome design will be a benefit for large cuts like a turkey, but actually less ideal for pizza.

Phubar
10-03-2010, 02:25 AM
I say pizza oven as well!:thumb:

Norm
10-03-2010, 09:07 AM
Yep go for the pizza oven. I have the older style XL and a Large BGE, the large is better for pizza than the XL.

That being said I use my XL for most of my big cooks and the large for things like burgers and steaks. Uses less lump and I can really get it hot.