PDA

View Full Version : What's smoking!

hornbri
09-10-2004, 12:00 PM
I see no thread for this weekend's smoke so i thought i would start one.

Since the horns are playing the piggies this weekend. Tomorrow is going to be a pork day. (just like the Horns will be smoking the Hogs!!!)

I think a couple fatties, couple racks of ribs and one of those stuffed pork loins y'all were talking about last week.

cookswithfire
09-10-2004, 12:06 PM
Bevo Jerky :wink:

Bill-Chicago
09-10-2004, 12:08 PM
Nada

Need a burrito injection.

kcquer
09-10-2004, 12:28 PM
Although I really like the theme menus y'all have going this weekend I'll not be smoking any horse meat in observation of the Chiefs v Broncos matchup. I'll be doing two packer briskets one 14.75 # and a 12.5# and two fatties for breakfast. Starting late saturday night for the Sunday night game. I am stoked, I AM READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL!!!

parrothead
09-10-2004, 01:44 PM
Tomorrow I will be doing 14 8 pound butts, and over 1,000 wing sections. Maybe a slab of ribs and a fatty or two. Yeehah!

Jorge
09-10-2004, 02:16 PM
Like brother hornbri I'm going with the pig theme. Pork spares, back ribs, butts, and loins. Kickoff isn't until 7:45 Central so the meat and I should both be close to done by then.

Solidkick
09-10-2004, 07:46 PM
I'm working, throw something in the smoker in my memory........ :cry:

tommykendall
09-11-2004, 11:38 AM
Not a damn thing. Went fishin this morning though. Caught 5 bonito in about 40 minutes. Yeehaaww

chad
09-11-2004, 02:01 PM
I've got a pork butt working -- it's been on about 4 hours. Using the WSM today.

I'll clean it up tomorrow and put it away in case Ivan decides to show up early next week.

chadwell.bandera
09-11-2004, 03:12 PM
I'm going to have to get a do-over on my bandera's maiden voyage during labor day weekend. I pretty much over cooked everything :( I was able to salvage almost all of it. Sadly it didn't manage to turn out to be the "creamy goodness" that I was hoping for. So 3 BB chickens, 2 fatties, 1 rack of spare ribs, a pork butt and a chuck of bologna were sacrified at the altar of experience.

Oh well as soon as I get home from Memphis I'm gonna try her again and see if I can get it right :) In the meantime I'm enjoying many ribs and onion loafs at Corky's BBQ in memphis. Not too shabby!

mook
09-11-2004, 03:29 PM
So 3 BB chickens, 2 fatties, 1 rack of spare ribs, a pork butt and a chuck of bologna were sacrified at the altar of experience.

We've all been there at some point. Practice makes perfect Brother, practice makes perfect.

Jorge
09-11-2004, 04:34 PM
Somewhere on here is a post I made about a big load in the 'dera. I was fighting the wind and the fire and let some country ribs get too dry. Live and learn! If it was always easy it wouldn't be that much fun and I'd just get takeout. Show me a cook that hasn't farked something up, and I'll show you a cook that hasn't cooked much. I usually learn a lot more from my mistakes, the memory tends to last a lot longer, than my good cookes.

BrooklynQ
09-11-2004, 04:36 PM
After a ****ty corned beef experiment last weekend, tomorrow I'm back to spares.

icemn62
09-11-2004, 08:40 PM
I will be throwing some chick wings on for Sunday. and a Rib Eye for myself.

Solidkick
09-11-2004, 09:59 PM
After a ****ty corned beef experiment last weekend, tomorrow I'm back to spares.

so you tried that too.......I couldn't get the dog to eat it either......

Bigmista
09-12-2004, 12:27 AM
I got a Pork Loin in a brine right now but I don't have any charcaol. Gonna be Empty Pocket Mod for a while. Lost my job so I am doing Web Design when I can and booking travel if it comes up. MrsMista had an accident (She's fine but her car is shot) So we went and bought a PT Cruiser today. We have a gas grill in the apartment complex so I will probably roast the Loin in there.

At least I won't heat up the house!

Neil
09-12-2004, 05:24 AM
Smoking an 8.5# center loin boneless pork roast today. Garlic, Coke, and Yoshida's marinade. Homemade applesauce and if the wife is willing, fried green tomatoes.

BrooklynQ
09-12-2004, 10:41 AM

Hard as a rock, dry as sand. I don't have a dog, so I had to eat it.

tommykendall
09-12-2004, 09:29 PM

damn - either I like horse saddle or you guys ain't doing something right. Corned beef is already brined. I like to soak it water for at least 8 hours to help desalinate it before smoking. Smoke it like a brisket. Spray it with apple juice while cooking. Bring it to 185+ internal. wrap it in foil and let it rest. Slice across the grain. Make a Reuben or something. you know the drill. Surpised you haven't had good results. I buy a bunch of points around St Patty's day.

Bigmista
09-12-2004, 11:13 PM
Pork loin came out good! Nice and juicy. Don't even need a knife! Would have been better with smoke but you take what you can get.

BrooklynQ
09-13-2004, 09:19 AM

damn - either I like horse saddle or you guys ain't doing something right. Corned beef is already brined. I like to soak it water for at least 8 hours to help desalinate it before smoking. Smoke it like a brisket. Spray it with apple juice while cooking. Bring it to 185+ internal. wrap it in foil and let it rest. Slice across the grain. Make a Reuben or something. you know the drill. Surpised you haven't had good results. I buy a bunch of points around St Patty's day.

didn't soak it, didn't wrap it, and it was a small flat. Maybe I just didn't pay enough attention to it.

Bigdog
09-13-2004, 10:25 AM
A bought a few points myself and had good luck. Used the TK marinade for the best results. Does have a unique flavor, made even better with some Southern Flavor. Used a rub with lots of sugar to cut the salt too.

icemn62
09-19-2004, 09:08 AM
Got a Pork Loin marinating in garlic and herbs, 2 slabs of ribs, and some chicken breasts getting ready for some smoke. Some some Lump Charcoal 40lb bag for 9.99 at local grocery store, have to get up there some time today.