PDA

View Full Version : Rib help please!

aswoboda
09-29-2010, 10:16 AM
Hey guys I cooked my first contest this weekend and I placed in the top ten but my ribs sucked! I rubbed them 3 hrs before I put them on the Pitt then I put them on at 250 for 3 hrs then pulled them and wrapped them and back on for 2.5 hrs then I unfoiled and sauces and put back on for 30 mins, everyone loved them except the judges! I wanna make great ribs, I'm ready to try anything, I'd love to hear your tips on spares and babies, thank you

getyourrubonbbq
09-29-2010, 10:24 AM
What was the texture of the rib after that long of a cooking time? It sounds like it would've fallen off the bone. If so, that could be why you scored lower, the ribs need to have a clean bite mark similiar to chicken.

early mornin' smokin'
09-29-2010, 10:26 AM
sounds like you made rib mush...longest ive ever gone in the foil has been an hour. I try not to foil at all, better end result im my honest opinion.

Big George's BBQ
09-29-2010, 10:35 AM
2.5 hours foiled is a long time. Are you doing spares or babybacks

McGurk
09-29-2010, 10:42 AM
I haven't competed, but from what I read around here, there are people that smoke ribs for comps completely different than they would for themselves and guests. More bark vs less bark, foil or no foil, more sauce or less sauce or no sauce, clean bite texture vs easy to eat, etc...

A judge that knows what he is eating and looks for certain characteristics will value a rib much differently than an "untrained" person who will simply say that they "Love your ribs." or "Best ribs ever!" or "You should compete!". While I enjoy hearing compliments from guests, they tell me nothing. I listen for and pay more attention to the critiques and criticisms, even if they are outnumbered 10-1.

aswoboda
09-29-2010, 12:18 PM
The ribs I did were spares because I didn't think I could hit that sweet spot on the babies to compete, they turned to mush, just fell off the bone,

landarc
09-29-2010, 12:23 PM
The ribs I did were spares because I didn't think I could hit that sweet spot on the babies to compete, they turned to mush, just fell off the bone,
There's the answer, you are not going to get good scores in a KCBS type competition for certain with fall off the bone ribs.

Groundhog66
09-29-2010, 12:27 PM
As previously mentioned, you foiled them for far too long.

Southern Home Boy
09-29-2010, 12:33 PM

WAAAAY too long in the foil. One hour max at that temp. would be my suggestion. Less if you can.

big brother smoke
09-29-2010, 12:33 PM
One must practice!

Allen Iverson Mod :becky:

McGurk
09-29-2010, 12:43 PM
Too much foil and too much time overall. You still finished, 10th, though. Not bad! (unless there were only 10 teams! :becky:)

huminie
09-29-2010, 12:54 PM
Ya, too long in the foil...Also I wouldn't leave the rub on for that long. Just leave it long enough so it starts to turn to liquid. To long and you risk drawing out moisture. Not a factor for this cook, but once you get the timing nailed, this could help you further.

aswoboda
09-29-2010, 01:50 PM
Is there a certain temp I'm looking for in babies vs spares or does everyone just go by feel?

Big Jim BBQ
09-29-2010, 01:56 PM
One must practice!

Allen Iverson Mod :becky:
Big Brother You da Man.

Groundhog66
09-29-2010, 02:41 PM
Is there a certain temp I'm looking for in babies vs spares or does everyone just go by feel?

I have never really heard of anyone who goes by temp with ribs, it's all in the feel IMO.

McGurk
09-29-2010, 03:02 PM
Weeping is a physical thing you can see and hear at around the 160-165 deg mark. At that time some people choose to foil. Meat Pullback and the Bend Test are a couple of popular ways to tell how that your ribs are getting close to done. I like to take a test rib out of the middle of one as a check, too.

NorthwestBBQ
09-29-2010, 06:56 PM
Did you take any Pics?