PDA

View Full Version : Walleye cheeks!

Garyclaw
09-25-2010, 03:42 PM
........as in the jaw muscle of the Walleye, a fierce predator with a voracious appitite. With its sharp teeth and powerful jaws, it's a eating machine! The cheeks of a walleye are considered a delecacy among savy Lake Erie fishermen.
As you can see, these are a pretty stong muscle:
http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af345/Garyclaw/102_0813.jpg

I dipped them in an egg wash and breaded them in a combo of bread crumbs and cornflake crumbs:
http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af345/Garyclaw/102_0815.jpg

Fired up the top burner on the outdoor kitchen and set the CI skillet to work:
http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af345/Garyclaw/102_0817.jpg

Crispy chunks o' cheeks:
http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af345/Garyclaw/102_0818.jpg

They were mighty tasty and will serve us well as a snack on Lake Erie tomorrow Perch fishing. Thanks for looking.

Shiz-Nit
09-25-2010, 03:50 PM
Dayum nice

B & B Backyard BBQ
09-25-2010, 03:51 PM
Looks great

Bluesman
09-25-2010, 03:52 PM
Nice cheeks. Those have to be some big Eyes to give up those size cheeks. So, what size are they? Look fabulous.

Norm
09-25-2010, 03:53 PM
One of my favorites too!

bluetang
09-25-2010, 03:55 PM
Those look good!

boatnut
09-25-2010, 03:57 PM
nice job on the cheek meat, Gary! I try to save a bunch up and then make "cheek chowder" with 'em.

thirdeye
09-25-2010, 04:03 PM
How could you stand to wait a day before eating those? You have more will power than I do.

Garyclaw
09-25-2010, 04:12 PM
Nice cheeks. Those have to be some big Eyes to give up those size cheeks. So, what size are they? Look fabulous.
That was a banner day Bluesman. Most all were 6 lb. plus. Some were more, a few were 3-4 lb. 36 that day and a Steelhead for smokin' for good measure.:thumb:

Garyclaw
09-25-2010, 04:18 PM
nice job on the cheek meat, Gary! I try to save a bunch up and then make "cheek chowder" with 'em.

I knew "Cheeks" would draw your attention:-PThat is an excellent idea with the chowder Mike. Don't know if we're gonna Walleye again this year or not, with the Perch doin so good now. I hope so. A bit rough today with 5-7 footers. Hope it settles a little for tomorrow.

LMAJ
09-25-2010, 04:22 PM
I'm not a fish fan but I showed this to Big Al - his response? "Those look awesome!"

hnd
09-25-2010, 04:22 PM
yeah the cheeks are fantastic...but you generally can only get them fishing in a place where you are able to put the knife to bigger fish. (5+). lake erie would be one of those places....fantastic fishery.

BlueHowler
09-25-2010, 04:23 PM

We have some nice walleye here in Colorado but I don't think I could catch enough to make Cheek chowder.

Will you share the recipe anyways?

Garyclaw
09-25-2010, 04:50 PM
Wanted to show the grain in these cheeks:
http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af345/Garyclaw/102_0831.jpg

If you were a little Perch or a Shiner, you wouldn't stand a chance against that "clench".

Johnny_Crunch
09-25-2010, 04:58 PM
looks delicious, ship me some down in Texas!

huminie
09-25-2010, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the pics! Look delicious! I grew up in Southern Ontario and have fond memories of walleye (well, pickerel as we called it) fishing up north. One of my most memorable meals was a time we caught some pickerel and cooked it over a campfire on shore. My dad always breaded it with corn flakes...so delicious!

Garyclaw
09-25-2010, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the pics! Look delicious! I grew up in Southern Ontario and have fond memories of walleye (well, pickerel as we called it) fishing up north. One of my most memorable meals was a time we caught some pickerel and cooked it over a campfire on shore. My dad always breaded it with corn flakes...so delicious!
You bet huminie! Those shore lunch Walleyes can never be duplicated. Will always be the best in my book! Did the same with my Dad. That is definitely one of the best things in life everyone should experience. Thanks for the memory.:thumb:

boatnut
09-25-2010, 07:40 PM
We have some nice walleye here in Colorado but I don't think I could catch enough to make Cheek chowder.

Will you share the recipe anyways?

sure, you can make with cheeks or any fish. add fish last as does not take long to cook. cheeks can turn rubbery fast if over cooked. to me, the cheeks have an almost scallop consistency.

CHOWDER:
8 slices bacon, chopped
2 small onions , chopped fine
2 carrot chopped fine or shredded
2 celery ribs chopped fine
4 TBS unsalted butter
1 tsp paprika
16 oz bottle clam juice
2 cups water
1 cup heavy cream
2 russet potatoes (about 1 lb)
1 small can sweet corn or equiv.
1 1/2 lbs cheeks or white fish fillet such as cod etc.
4 TBS minced fresh parsley

In heavy suacepan, cook bacon over moderate heat, stirring until crisp and transfer with slotted spoon to paper towels to drain. Pour off fat and in pan, cook onion, carrot and celer in butter over low heat, until softened.

Sprinklie flour over mixture and cook, stirring, 3 minutes. Stir in paprikak and cook stirrring 30 seconds. Add clam juice, water and cream and bring to boil stirring occasionally.

while mixture is coming to a boil, peel potato and cut into 1/4" dice. Add potato and corn to mixture and simmer chowder, uncovered for 12 minutes. Stir in cheeks or fish and simmer until just cooked through. Stir in parsley , bacon and salt and pepper to taste and serve.

Two Bears
09-25-2010, 07:51 PM
Tell ya what my friend, iant nottin better than Walley cheeckys

That there brought back a lot of memories fishing with dad.

Must have been a mess of eyes...

jcfontario
09-25-2010, 07:54 PM
That is just so cruel.....:thumb: Walleye (pickerel) is my favorite fish also, but never had the cheeks. Must try them next time I get a whole fish. Agree that it doesn't get any better than a shore lunch of these guys.

Vince B
09-25-2010, 07:58 PM
Thanks for posting this thread. When I was a kid I would cut the cheeks out and save them until I had enough to make a meal. My mom would either bread them and make a pop corn style fish for me or soup. They were always awesome! However the eyes we caught were never the size of the ones you been catching! :thumb:

bigabyte
09-25-2010, 09:06 PM
Whoooa mama!:shock: I have to say, I really would like to nibble on your cheeks.:cool:

BlkJeep
09-25-2010, 09:08 PM
never heard of making checks. they look great. thanks for sharing the info and pics.

BobBrisket
09-25-2010, 11:41 PM
Wow, I'd hit some cheeks! Those look fantastic. Bait fish don't stand a chance against that bite!

Bob

Garyclaw
09-26-2010, 02:05 AM
sure, you can make with cheeks or any fish. add fish last as does not take long to cook. cheeks can turn rubbery fast if over cooked. to me, the cheeks have an almost scallop consistency.

CHOWDER:
8 slices bacon, chopped
2 small onions , chopped fine
2 carrot chopped fine or shredded
2 celery ribs chopped fine
4 TBS unsalted butter
1 tsp paprika
16 oz bottle clam juice
2 cups water
1 cup heavy cream
2 russet potatoes (about 1 lb)
1 small can sweet corn or equiv.
1 1/2 lbs cheeks or white fish fillet such as cod etc.
4 TBS minced fresh parsley

In heavy suacepan, cook bacon over moderate heat, stirring until crisp and transfer with slotted spoon to paper towels to drain. Pour off fat and in pan, cook onion, carrot and celer in butter over low heat, until softened.

Sprinklie flour over mixture and cook, stirring, 3 minutes. Stir in paprikak and cook stirrring 30 seconds. Add clam juice, water and cream and bring to boil stirring occasionally.

while mixture is coming to a boil, peel potato and cut into 1/4" dice. Add potato and corn to mixture and simmer chowder, uncovered for 12 minutes. Stir in cheeks or fish and simmer until just cooked through. Stir in parsley , bacon and salt and pepper to taste and serve.
That's pretty close to my Chowder recipe Mike, except for the corn and instead of 2 c. water, I add a c. of whole milk and a c. of white wine or sherry.

WineMaster
09-26-2010, 05:11 AM
Good luck and be safe out there. Those cheeks look awsome.

Neil
09-26-2010, 05:52 AM
Those look outstanding, nice job.:thumb:

Phubar
09-26-2010, 08:08 AM
You shouldn't have done that!!!

Excellent Gary!

chambersuac
09-26-2010, 08:11 AM
never heard of eating the cheeks before! Looks great.

Hell Fire Grill
09-26-2010, 08:48 AM
Your cheeks look great, especially while cooking in that cast iron skillet.
Its alot of extra work carving the cheek meat out, after a days fishing and filleting all those fish. Im always to tired to mess with it. Most folks dont realize how much extra work it is in my opinion. You done a fine job cutting the cheeks out.

harley76
09-26-2010, 11:30 AM
Nothing better than cheeks....and those look great!

gtsum
09-26-2010, 11:35 AM
hmmm...cheek meat from an 'eye...nothing better! They must have been some good sized eye's to get those as well:)

cowgirl
09-26-2010, 12:27 PM
Oh Wow Gary!! Looks soooo good... Thanks for the post.. I bet they tasted wonderful! :-D

cheez
09-27-2010, 12:09 AM
Those look delicious! I was just showing my son and his girlfriend how to clean fish on Friday, and we cut the cheeks out of a couple of bluefish. They were good!

wildflower
09-27-2010, 08:35 AM
:clap2::clap2::clap2:

ComputerMike
09-29-2010, 03:09 PM
Try using cornmeal instead of flour. Tasty!

deguerre
09-29-2010, 03:16 PM
That's pretty close to my Chowder recipe Mike, except for the corn and instead of 2 c. water, I add a c. of whole milk and a c. of white wine or sherry.
Which makes your recipe darn close to my chowder.

I'm amazed at the texture of that cheek meat! I want some!:thumb: