PDA

View Full Version : Another question about pit material and health

S-L-A-C-K-E-R
09-24-2010, 12:05 PM
Would it be bad for my health to put black iron piping in my bbq pit? I personally don't think it would be a bad idea. I'm not cooking directly on it, it's just going to be in the back to be used as the exhaust. I was going to use stainless, but it's really expensive. I figure, black iron is what cast iron skillets are made of, right? Plus, black iron piping was used for water lines back in the day. The only reason they stopped was because they corrode too easily (or so my reasearch has told me). I'm feeling fairly confident about this, but I could really use a second opinion. Thanks!

Chef Jim
09-24-2010, 12:29 PM
First second opinion, I would use it. I'm not a Dr. but, I could play one on the internet.

dmprantz
09-24-2010, 01:22 PM
Black iron isn't the exact same as cast iron (it has a wax coating) but it should be fine in your pit. I have some in mine. Stay away from galvanized pipe.

dmp

S-L-A-C-K-E-R
09-24-2010, 02:49 PM
Great. Thanks for the advice, guys!

BbqJohn
09-24-2010, 03:43 PM
High jack>>>Does anyone know about the steel at Home Depot, the angle and flat iron stuff? Does it have zinc? I have welded with it and am not sure. I saw a sign that welding steel coated with zinc can cause harmful fumes....not sue if that means there steel is coated with it. If it was you would think that they would have a sign that say that is does. I would ask but the know nothings in there have no about anything.

dmprantz
09-24-2010, 03:47 PM
I am 90% sure that the regular, almost black, steel that you can get at Ace, Lowe's and HD (Sheet, plate, and Angle) is just plain old mild steel. If it has zinc, it should be labled as galvanized or zinc, and it will look more silver. If in doub, I wouldn't do it.

dmp

BbqJohn
09-24-2010, 03:49 PM
I am 90% sure that the regular, almost black, steel that you can get at Ace, Lowe's and HD (Sheet, plate, and Angle) is just plain old mild steel. If it has zinc, it should be labled as galvanized or zinc, and it will look more silver. If in doub, I wouldn't do it.

dmp

it does say black...it is not silver at all...I have used it on my current build and I am still alive.:bow:

Jeff S.
09-24-2010, 09:39 PM
Black iron pipe should cause no problem at all. Most black iron pipe though has a protective coating on it and I am not sure what it is. I do know when you heat the pipe, the coating has a sweet smell to it. If it has a coating on it, burn it off. A torch works great.

Here is a link to metel properties from the guys over at Integrated Publishing.

Kinda interesting and it covers most everything. The spark test comes in handy when your diggin through unknown metals. I dont think they would care for it inside the Depot!:heh:

http://www.tpub.com/content/construction/14250/css/14250_13.htm

Jeff S