PDA

View Full Version : Is this an eating disorder?

donmiller
09-20-2010, 06:47 PM
EVERYTHING I cook tastes better the next day. Whatsupwidat? Does anybody else here experience the same thing?

Maybe the realtively long exposure to the smoke and the savory BBQ smells during cook day somehow desensitize my sense of taste -- I dunno. Those re-warmed ribs or those chicken sammies the next day always taste better than when the food came off the grill.

Am I alone in this?

Don

Philly-QueMaster
09-20-2010, 06:49 PM
I feel the same way. I think for me whenever I cook I don't have much of an appetite by the time the food is done. Kind of sucks when you spent all day cooking up some good que and you're not that hungry. Thank God for leftovers.

Bartstop
09-20-2010, 06:53 PM
You're not alone. I'm the same way. I do think smelling the smoke has something to do with it.

J-mac
09-20-2010, 07:07 PM
Yep. Same problem here. Sometimes I get just about sick of smelling and/or tasting smoke. I'm usually cured (smoke cured :mrgreen:) in just a few hours or by the next day.

Saiko
09-20-2010, 07:11 PM
It's a pretty common feeling, you get desensitized to the smoke by being constantly exposed. It always tastes better to me the day after.

TheMidnightSmoker
09-20-2010, 07:20 PM
I think this is a common Phenomenon. Often when I cook I lose my appetite and can not enjoy the fruits of my labor-that is until the next day. And when I share my smoked delight the next day with my family they agree the taste has only improved. Go figure.

btcg
09-20-2010, 07:32 PM
The spices have a chance to set in. Of course it's better.

1_T_Scot
09-20-2010, 07:35 PM
I have also noticed this I think it does have something to do with being exposed to the smoke, process etc...

peppasawce
09-20-2010, 07:38 PM
The herbs and all the cooking tastes betta the next day...I have said it since day one of my cooking experiences (Home Economics in High School & on the Varsity Football Team LOl)...Even in the oven or on the stove things always are betta the next day Period!!!! And don't mention Gumbo the day after Priceless LOL

BlueHowler
09-20-2010, 07:50 PM
I made some babyback pork ribs Saturday. I had about half a rack left and ate them Sunday afternoon. Both my wife and I commented on how much better they were.

I'm not a leftover food fan but the ribs were mighty tasty.

Bluesman
09-20-2010, 08:09 PM
Has nothing to do with the smoke or the cook. The booze has left your body and now you can enjoy. Always better the next day :becky:

kwas68
09-20-2010, 08:16 PM
Probably has something to do with sampling as well. I sample the rub, injection, and pull a chunk of bark off whatever I'm cooking before it is completely done. My taste buds are already accustomed to the taste before the meat comes off the pit.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. And who is going to complain about having good leftovers? It's nice to have ribs ready in 10 minutes sometimes. It would be a shame if BBQ deteriorated like Mexican food.

BbqJohn
09-20-2010, 08:17 PM
EVERYTHING I cook tastes better the next day. Whatsupwidat? Does anybody else here experience the same thing?

Maybe the realtively long exposure to the smoke and the savory BBQ smells during cook day somehow desensitize my sense of taste -- I dunno. Those re-warmed ribs or those chicken sammies the next day always taste better than when the food came off the grill.

Am I alone in this?

Don

Nope, I was talking to my wife about his today....my butt tasted so much better today than yesterday to me....

Bluesman
09-20-2010, 08:21 PM
Nope, I was talking to my wife about his today....my butt tasted so much better today than yesterday to me....

Now thats a manuever :mmph:

chaddie
09-20-2010, 09:07 PM
There's something about cooking..chilling and and reheating.A good meat rague always tastes better the next day. It gives it time for the flavors to infuse.

4dueces
09-20-2010, 09:10 PM
I'm with them ^^^^ always seemsto taste better the next day for me as well.

hcarter
09-20-2010, 09:14 PM
I did some pork chops and potatoes this evening for the family. Didn't eat a bite...lol

sewerrat
09-20-2010, 09:20 PM
Has nothing to do with the smoke or the cook. The booze has left your body and now you can enjoy. Always better the next day :becky:
Must be a WI thing, cuz that's the first thing I thought of:-D

Harbormaster
09-20-2010, 10:52 PM
I cooked a comp brisket that I thought sucked the day of the comp.

Couple of days in the fridge and it was one of the best things I've ever eaten.

And no, there was no flushing of alcohol from the system required. It's olfactory nerve overload from all the smoke.

Bubblehead
09-21-2010, 01:12 AM
I often get too smoked out and don't want what I am making until the next day. However, I find if I stay inside and watch football & drink beer, whatever I am smoking is most excellent!:becky:

mikeTRON
09-21-2010, 01:48 AM

:shocked:
Do you have a how-to video on this?!?

SmokinAussie
09-21-2010, 04:11 AM
I cook a lot of curries with a lot of spices as well.... smoke takes time... curry takes time... A great curry or biryani is always better the second day... smoke is the same.

Cheers!

Bill

cgarrit
09-21-2010, 05:17 AM
I believe its better the next day also. take thanksgiving for example. the day after turkey sandwiches are always the best part of that holiday.

tjus77
09-21-2010, 05:58 AM
I am the same way, especially with Q and anything cooked with tomato sauce or a roux.

flyingv4me
09-21-2010, 06:56 AM
I agree with the comments made so far. For me it is always better the next day. After spending the day smelling the smoke, sampling, drinking, and generally having a great time, my senses are on overload. For me it is better the next day once the flavors blend.

J_Don
09-21-2010, 07:34 AM
And I thought it was just me. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

smokedinvt
09-21-2010, 08:14 AM
I have to agree. by the time I am done cooking, I'm usually not that hungry. Of course with the cooking comes sampling. The next day, when I have a chance to taste the results of our work, the flavor always is better. Someone said it above, the spices and smoke flavor have a chance to infuse the meat better. It's all good.

Johnny_Crunch
09-21-2010, 08:22 AM
I'm with this guy ^^^^^^ I hardly eat after I am done cooking.

Norm
09-21-2010, 08:32 AM
Boy it's nice to know I'm not the only one with this problem. One of my favorites is to take leftover baby backs wrap them in foil and put in a warm oven.

altongrady
09-21-2010, 08:48 AM
Ditto! The combination of all the smoking, plus the infusion of many beers throughout the day, plus the fact that smoked meat always tastes better the next day.

Big George's BBQ
09-21-2010, 09:09 AM
It is always better the next day as everything will have a chance to blend together. Chilli is the same- always better the next day

Ashmont
09-21-2010, 09:33 AM
It called resting syndrome! Along with the prolonged human exposed to smoke.. Hopefully you had a time to detoxify from smoke by a shower brushing your theef, and a good night sleep ma-bee to burn off a few beers.... Yes it does taste better or the way it should taste....

qndummy
09-21-2010, 09:46 AM
I'm glad to hear it's the spices and smoke. I always thought it was the beer I consumed during the cook that ruined my appetite