PDA

View Full Version : My Kids are spoiled rotten.

BrooklynQ
08-31-2004, 07:32 PM
Daughter says. "Pop - what's for dinner?"

"Steak"

"On the grill?"

"yes"

"Alright!" and she pumps a fist in the air for a second.

So for dinner tonight I grilled up a london broil.

Seasoned it like I always do and put it on the fire. Got distracted by a neighbor for a few minutes. One side burned a little bit. The best way to describe it is that it seared too long. Crunchy exterior on that side.

Flipped the steak. Cooked the other side to perfection. Got it to medium rare. Brought it in, sliced it and served it for dinner. Juicy and tender.

On one side of the steak tho, there was a gray edge of well done meat approriate to being left over the fire too long and a dark brown seared crunchy bark. But the rest of it was nice and pink, the way we normally eat it.

"Pop?"

"Yeah?"

"What happened to the steak? It's burned."

"It's not burned. It's just well done on that side."

Son "I can't eat burnt food."

"It's not burnt. If you asked for a well done steak in a restaurant the whole steak would be like that."

"I don't care, I can't eat it."

Daughter sees I'm getting annoyed and takes a small piece into her mouth. Chews once and spits it out.

Daughter joins in... "It's awful. I can't chew that."

"Alright" says Pop. "That's all there is. Just cut off the parts you don't like and eat the rest."

I'm sitting there thinking about the black steak, rock hard pork chops and dead chickens my father used to incinerate for dinner, and how we had to eat it all and I'm getting a bit ticked off. I don't say anything, but the kids can tell I'm annoyed, but they hold their ground. Why don't I send them off without dinner? Well my daughter is a type one diabetic so we don't fight about food in the house.

"Well guys, says I, that's all there is."

"There any ribs left from Sunday?" says son.

"Nope. We finished them. Eat the steak it's fine."

Silence.

Time passes. Wife joins in. "The steak's good. Eat it. Just cut off the part you don't like."

Kids. "It's burnt. We can't eat it."

More silence.

More time passes.

Son gets up and makes pizza for him and his sister.

After dinner, "Pop" - says my daughter - "can you make some more ribs next time instead?"

Son "Yeah. You don't burn them."

Next time I'm gonna gill up some bugs.

Bill-Chicago
08-31-2004, 08:23 PM
Next time I'm gonna gill up some bugs

Just added that in WoodPile. Thread Called, "Don't know if this is QTalk Material"

And PM me if you ever want to talk juv diabetes. I got some stories for you, and stuff to look out for

Wayne
08-31-2004, 09:06 PM
The best advise it to wear your thick skin and forget it. Kids bitch and that is all there is to it. Let it roll off your back like water rolls off a ducks back. One thing you can do is to make them do some of the cooking. Not so you can pay them back with cutting remarks but because they will be required to eat each others cooking. I bet they do not treat each other any different than they treat you.

On another note. If my mother ever fixed anything that was bad I just choked it down as best as I could. I would have never told her that anything she fixed was bad. That was out of the respect I had for the amount of effort she put in fixing the meals. I remember one time that me and my father had choked down half or the meal (don't remember what it was) when she finally took her first bite. She stopped chewing and looked at both of us and said "this is awful". "How can you two eat this." We all stopped and had a good laugh. Then fixed ourselves ham sandwiches.

MikeG
09-01-2004, 07:06 AM
Be patient...when they come home from college
hungry enough to eat anything that won't eat them....
then they will appreciate you.
Living it
Mikeg

BigBelly
09-01-2004, 08:07 AM
Son gets up and makes pizza for him and his sister.

Hell, back when I was coming up we ate was given to us, no second or third meals. Not that I can draw any parallels because I spoil my 7-year old girl. The poor girl will not even touch BBQ. Consider yourself lucky they will even eat food like ribs, steaks, chops n such.

BBQchef33
09-01-2004, 11:02 AM
I Dunno if im doing good or bad, but I used to cook didfferent meals for each person... like a menu to choose from, jackie wants steak, james wants pasta, sharon and i want chicken, so I made whatever they wanted... I didnt mind doing that, when thats what i was doing... but now they're spoiled... I make 4 steaks for everyone, and i get the" i didnt want that, I wanted fish" ... or " I'm not in the mood for chicken"..... so i set a precedent and now kinda regret it.

i dont remember havin choices when i was a kid.. You ate what was on the table, and if ya didnt like it, ya dont eat.. ahhhh... the youth of america.

Jorge
09-01-2004, 11:22 AM
I used to be young and foolish. When my Dad would cook steak I'd pitch a fit and demand hotdogs. He granted my wish, since money wasn't growing on a tree out back and a 10 yr. old can't eat that many hotdogs. Wise man my Dad. Years later when I started growing, and after developing a taste for steak I suggested that I should eat two at a time to make up for all the steak I missed years earlier. "We told you what you were missing but you wouldn't listen, so you can keep on missing those steaks."

Bill-Chicago
09-01-2004, 11:48 AM
"We told you what you were missing but you wouldn't listen, so you can keep on missing those steaks."

Same thing happened to me, but my vice was brussel sprouts.

jt
09-01-2004, 12:08 PM
Pardon me while I go hurl...

Bigmista
09-01-2004, 01:10 PM
I didn't care for steaks when I was growing up. I eat one occasionally now but it isn't my favorite food. I was always fond of food that didn't require much fuss. Food that was ready to eat when it was on the plate. A pork chop, I could just pick up and eat. Same with a chicken leg. I could eat pinto beans and rice all day long. I even ate all of my veggies. (My mother was kind enough not to make brussel sprouts, okra or anything with stewed tomatoes.) I was always happy to be eating!

My son is kinda weird for a kid. He will try almost anything. The kid likes sushi but won't eat a hamburger. Loves BBQ Sauce but won't eat ketchup, mustard or mayonaise. Loves broccoli, hates cabbage. But we have a rule. He has to try everything. If he tries it and doesn't like it, he never has to eat it again. Luckily he has never had to eat one thing over and over because that's all we had at the time. He doesn't have a clue about hard times. Then again, I guess I didn't either. WE always ate and we didn't know any better. Momma always had food on the table. I never went to bed hungry. Gotta love her for that!!!

Mista

HickoryNut
09-01-2004, 02:46 PM
My farts generally don't stink, but give me a helping of brussel sprouts...

BBQchef33
09-01-2004, 03:02 PM
My farts generally don't stink,...

i think

1 - your standing in the wind

or

2 - your nose is clogged

or

3 - Stink is subjective.. you may just like the smell.

:)

parrothead
09-01-2004, 03:14 PM

That's my excuse. I think I smell better than a rose.

Solidkick
09-01-2004, 03:32 PM

So....I guess the line "Who smelt it, dealt it" doesn't apply to you?

BrooklynQ
09-01-2004, 08:13 PM

"I know you like to think yo **** down stank but
Lean a little bit closer and see roses really smell like
Poo oooh oooh
Yeah roses really smell like poo pooh ooh"

Bill-Chicago
09-01-2004, 09:15 PM
Anyone else besides me find themselves filling there pockets with brussel sprouts in the veggie isle at the mega lo mart?