PDA

View Full Version : Pork Butts

deadeye531
09-16-2010, 08:30 PM
Need some help guys how long do you think it would take for 19.5 pounds of pork butt? Plan to keep some to slice thin and some to pull. Maybe 1.5 hrs per pound? Any rubs or anything?

Johnny_Crunch
09-16-2010, 08:37 PM
1.5 - 2 hours per pound to pull it. Probe will slide in with no resistance when it is done. Rub it with your favorite rub and have at it.

Johnny_Crunch
09-16-2010, 08:37 PM
is it 1 butt that's 19 lbs or is it 2?

bbquzz
09-16-2010, 08:45 PM
You might want to figure 1.5 - 2 hours per pound of the largest butt. So if you have 2, 9 lb. butts they would be done in 13 - 18 hours, that is if you are running at about 225°. If you are running much hotter you could figure less time.

The Grill Sergeant
09-16-2010, 08:53 PM
You might want to figure 1.5 - 2 hours per pound of the largest butt. So if you have 2, 9 lb. butts they would be done in 13 - 18 hours, that is if you are running at about 225°. If you are running much hotter you could figure less time.

I did 4 butts on my WSM totalling about 35 lbs in 12 hrs (give or take) @ 225 degrees. If it's a single butt, perhaps.

deadeye531
09-17-2010, 06:59 AM
I think its a single but it may be split in the package. What rub or anything would you use? The only other things Ive smoked were a slab of ribs and one pork butt but this is only my 3rd time to smoke. I have never used any rubs before for smoking. Im a newb that doesnt know lol

Johnny_Crunch
09-17-2010, 07:13 AM
Go to Bass Pro and get some plow boys bovine bold or yard bird and use the one you like most. You can make your your own or just find one you like. You really can't go wrong with a butt.

Dave Russell
09-17-2010, 08:46 AM
I did 4 butts on my WSM totalling about 35 lbs in 12 hrs (give or take) @ 225 degrees. If it's a single butt, perhaps.

Grill Serg, would ya mind clarifying: Are you measuring 225 by your lid gauge or actual cooking temp, and what's your standard of doneness? sliced or chopped at 175-185? bone poking out or easy to pull out?

The reason I ask is that I find that if doing pulled pork (off the pit at 190-200) and GRATE temp is avg. temp of 225, it's rare that it's much less than two hours a pound. Two hours a pound is a very good guess, but I actually time the cook for more with built in resting time (up to six is just fine) if cooking low-n-slow overnight on my wsm. Anyway, just wonderin'.... I know I've read where a lot of folks besides myself like the two hour a pound guess when cooking on the wsm in that range.

The Grill Sergeant
09-17-2010, 10:44 AM
Grill Serg, would ya mind clarifying: Are you measuring 225 by your lid gauge or actual cooking temp, and what's your standard of doneness? sliced or chopped at 175-185? bone poking out or easy to pull out?

The reason I ask is that I find that if doing pulled pork (off the pit at 190-200) and GRATE temp is avg. temp of 225, it's rare that it's much less than two hours a pound. Two hours a pound is a very good guess, but I actually time the cook for more with built in resting time (up to six is just fine) if cooking low-n-slow overnight on my wsm. Anyway, just wonderin'.... I know I've read where a lot of folks besides myself like the two hour a pound guess when cooking on the wsm in that range.

Actually, I have 4 thermometers going at a time. 1 at the top vent - usually 25-50 degrees higher than the dome thermometer. Then I have a Maverick ET-7 (dual probe) stuck in the meat - one 4 the top rack one for the bottom.

The two 4 butt smokes I did were each about 33 lbs and they both came in right around 12 hrs without counting the resting period. That's cooking til the internal temp was 197 on top & 193 on bottom racks.

And, another interesting thing... I loaded the bottom grate about 30 min ahead of the top grate - and still, they were all done at once. Amazing!

Dave Russell
09-17-2010, 04:54 PM
Actually, I have 4 thermometers going at a time. 1 at the top vent - usually 25-50 degrees higher than the dome thermometer. Then I have a Maverick ET-7 (dual probe) stuck in the meat - one 4 the top rack one for the bottom.

The two 4 butt smokes I did were each about 33 lbs and they both came in right around 12 hrs without counting the resting period. That's cooking til the internal temp was 197 on top & 193 on bottom racks.

And, another interesting thing... I loaded the bottom grate about 30 min ahead of the top grate - and still, they were all done at once. Amazing!

Ok, I'll guess:

I guess that if they are that done in 12 hours at 225... then you mean 225 measured by the dome therm, which means you're actually cooking around 250.

mikeTRON
09-17-2010, 05:07 PM
ALSO be sure to not open and check them as often as you want to. Id only check every 1.5 hours at a max frequency because that can really add to your cook time.