PDA

View Full Version : UDS Construction

Tattooque
09-14-2010, 01:03 PM
I know all you ol'timers that have been around here a while are probably tired of all these UDS build questions, but I have another. It's not from lack of research and reading, not only have I read this forums build posts, but two other forums as well. I keep coming up with the same question. Just acquired four barrels and have burned out the first two. The first one has a 2" opening at the bottom already so I'm going to weld a stack with a damper for air intake, the other barrel I'll be trying the 3 iron nipple with cut off valve method for intake.
Here's my "dumb" question.....on the interior of the barrel, could I have the intake stubbed closer to the charcoal basket? Most designs are just on the interior of the drum....wouldn't there be better flow if it was closer or even up under the coals OR would that make it burn faster and hotter, negating the steady burn rate these things are known for? Thanks!

devious
09-14-2010, 01:54 PM
well, I stuck to the K.I.S.S method and mine works like a champ. Try it with the intakes closer and see what happens you can always change it if it doesnt work out

N8man
09-14-2010, 02:01 PM
There have been some builds in the past that plumbed the intakes
right under the charcoal basket, which then sat on top of the pipes. I don't remember how well they burnt, but do know that it creates a problem when it comes time
to clean up ash from the bottom of the barrel. Which could be negated by using an ash catcher but that would sorta defeat the purpose of running the intakes to the charcoal basket....

Southern Home Boy
09-14-2010, 02:05 PM
On my second UDS, I put the intake holes in the bottom of the drum. Still three 4"X3/4" pipe nipples, but moved 'em in a bit:
http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac160/southernhomeboy/Airintakes.jpg

Then, I put PVC elbows on the bottoms of the nipples and ran pipes to the front of the drum so that all my intakes were in the same place (If necessity is the mother of invention, then laziness is its bastard father...)
http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac160/southernhomeboy/NatalBigRed.jpg

Finally, covered the whole thing with a larger, 85 Gal drum to act as a sheild to help insulate it:
http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac160/southernhomeboy/Newestmember.jpg

It runs like a champ.

I think the next one I build, I'll do the same thing, but want to try a mod that got me thinking: To get a "convection" action going, I'll put 90 degree elbows on the insides of the intakes all pointed in the same direction.

Don't know that will make much of a difference, but it seems like a good idea. :-D

1FUNVET
09-14-2010, 02:14 PM
well, I stuck to the K.I.S.S method and mine works like a champ. Try it with the intakes closer and see what happens you can always change it if it doesnt work out

I agree :becky:

expatpig
09-14-2010, 02:36 PM
i agree :becky:

ditto!

willie
09-14-2010, 02:46 PM
ditto!
+1 :thumb:

Tattooque
09-14-2010, 02:50 PM
Thanks for all the great answers, will start drilling and welding this weekend!

1FUNVET
09-14-2010, 03:06 PM
Thanks for all the great answers, will start drilling and welding this weekend!

So simple, even a tarheel can do it :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Wampus
09-14-2010, 03:38 PM
Yeah, I'm with the K.I.S.S. opinion above. Don't know that it would really increase performance enough to deal with the other things like the cleanup issue, ash buildup at intakes, or possible "hot spots" in the fire basket. Don't know that the latter would happen, but it might.

Good luck on the build!:thumb:

Meat Burner
09-14-2010, 05:02 PM
One build I did was to run 5" pipe nipple inside thinking that getting the oxygen near the center would be good. Didn't work worth a chit. Very poor burn pattern and ash would build up too close. Cut them all off to about 3/4" and all burn problems were solved. The intakes in the bottom would be a nightmare for cleaning the barrel for me. I made a scoop based on Thirdeye gadget which works great but would be a PITA with bottom intakes. Keep working at it and let us all know what you like the best.

h20loo
09-14-2010, 05:58 PM
This was the first of 29 barrels that I have built this way. Works much better than the little holes all around the barrel(especially since you close two or three of them). My next step was to the BGE vent as it is the simplist and pretty close to as good as the centre pipe. If the pipe fittings around a barrel were really the cats ass- then why don't you see these multiple openings and pipe fittings on the successful commercial jobs.
And here's why I say "much better"- you have one opening that can go from damping the fire out right up to 600 degrees. You can reach in thru the whole and give your basket a shake without spiking your temp by removing the lid. Your pipe fittings are not coming loose and you're not tripping over the hangy downs on your barrel. http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii58/h20loo/001-7.jpg