PDA

View Full Version : How many of you don't foil brisket?

Vince B
09-12-2010, 09:37 AM
As the title says....what do you do? I normally only cook flats but some of the best brisket I have made were full packers that I did not foil. I have been having a hard time with making what I think is good brisket. Especially with flats. I'm looking to get some more info on what you guys are doing. I have been thinking about cooking brisket in a foil pan and then add some beef stock/broth to the pan and foil at 160*. Feel free to pick more than one option in the poll and if what you do is not an option in the poll feel free to post it in the thread. Also advise is always welcome. Vince

thillin
09-12-2010, 10:17 AM
I had to select 3 different votes.

Saiko
09-12-2010, 10:50 AM
You need a "I rarely foil" selection or something instead of just no and always. I'll dabble in foil now and then but usually go unwrapped high heat.

Vince B
09-12-2010, 11:25 AM
I had to select 3 different votes.

With all the things I've tried I would have to select multiples as well!:confused:

You need a "I rarely foil" selection or something instead of just no and always. I'll dabble in foil now and then but usually go unwrapped high heat.

Thanks Saiko. Unfortunately I can not edit the pole.:doh: That is why I asked for input outside of the pole if the option was not listed.

That's interesting that you cook high heat and usually not foil at all. I thought that was part of the process for high heat. However I guess it just takes a bit longer by not foiling when doing the HH.

Today I'm making a flat and I am cooking low and slow. I'm not going to foil and I'm going against the grain by cooking fat side up!:boxing:I have decided to use water in the wsm water pan which I rarely do. Thinking this might add some moisture and also help me keep the temps down @ 225* or lower.

krandy21784
09-12-2010, 11:28 AM
I foiled my last one at 160 degrees and it was the best one that ive ever done....average temp was 225 and it cooked 15 hours

Big Ace
09-12-2010, 11:30 AM
I've never foiled, but reading krandy21784s post I just might next time.

Rover >~<>
09-12-2010, 11:38 AM
after doing the temperature probe and feeling it go through the flat easily last time i foilled and let rest for 3 hours... i unwrapped it and it was suddenly tough...

Did I leave it wrapped to long or not pull it soon enough... i was thinking maybe it kept cooking in the foil and that toughened up the meat

Vince B
09-12-2010, 04:41 PM
Well I think I just killed another one.:doh:

This brisket got to 165ish and stalled for a couple hours. Then started creeping down in temp into the mid 150's. I don't get it because my wsm stayed very steady @ 220 * the whole time.

I guess I should have foiled it when it reached 160*. After letting this go on for 5 hours its foiled with some beef broth. I have a big pot of #5 sauce going on the stove. At 10 hrs for 5 lb flat and still not done...... I'm thinking shoe leather for dinner! :sick:

thillin
09-12-2010, 04:54 PM
at 300+, I foil at 170ish until 195ish. Liquid or no liquid, it's done in 6-8 hours. I cook trimmed 10-13lb packers.

Vince B
09-12-2010, 09:17 PM
Just a quick update the brisket actually turned out better than I thought. However 12 + hrs for a 5 lb flat???? That is crazy.

After foiling it with some beef broth for an hour or so it reached 180*. I went out and check the brisket with a wooden skewer and it was getting much softer than when I foiled it. I was thinking to myself is this possible??? I really thought I had already killed it before even foiling it.

Well I let it go for another half hour and checked it again. Believe it or not the skewer was going in with even less resistance. About 15 minutes later I decided to pull it and let it rest for about 20 minutes.

When I cut it I could not believe that this small flat was even able to be cut. It actually cut fairly easy. I would not say it was overly juicy but it was not totally dried out the way I thought it would be. The wife said it was great and my son went back for seconds. Once plated I cut the brisket with a fork!

Here are a few pic's from this cook.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n97/Vinceflt/smoker%20cooking/brisket002.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n97/Vinceflt/smoker%20cooking/brisket004.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n97/Vinceflt/smoker%20cooking/brisket008.jpg

Well I guess now I have to do this again and foil earlier to see how it turns out. For the life of me I don't know how this one stalled unfoiled as long as it did and I did not kill it! I think if I did not foil this when I did it will still be on the wsm. :confused:Oh well practice practice practice.....