PDA

View Full Version : Chili recipe

shdybrady
09-09-2010, 12:30 PM
I didnt want to hi-jack the other guys thread. But I usually eat my chili with no beans or peppers. I usually just cook the chili with whole peppers sliced open and then later removed. Anyone have a good recipe?

nlsteve
09-09-2010, 12:59 PM
I don't know if it's what you're looking for, but here's a recipe I like, from the Certified Angus Beef folks. I like it. It's mostly beef with just a scattering of black beans. I add a couple squares of bakers' chocolate, for a little bit of that Mexican "mole" flavor or earthy complexity. It freezes well.

HYDE PARK CHILI, serves 8
Ingredients:

3 pounds Certified Angus Beef® bottom round roast, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (Learn more about this cut)
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup canola oil
3 large onions, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon dried oregano
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 (28-ounce) can chopped tomatoes
1 (15-ounce) can black beans
1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chilies
2 to 3 jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely minced

Instructions: Heat oil in a large saute pan over high heat. Season beef with salt and pepper. Brown beef cubes in 1 pound batches for 3 to 4 minutes per batch; transer beef to slow cooker after browning.
Add onions and garlic to the pan. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes over medium heat until pan comes clean from the softening onions. Transfer to a slow cooker. Stir in cumin, oregano, chili powder, sugar, tomatoes, beans, green chilies and jalapenos. Cover and cook on low for 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
Serve and garnish with optional toppings. Goes great with cornbread.
Optional toppings: avocado slices, diced green peppers, shredded cheddar cheese, diced scallions or sour cream
Other cuts that you can use for this recipe:
Chuck Roast