PDA

View Full Version : Spare prices??

thillin
08-25-2004, 03:50 AM
What's a good price for spares across the country?

Thanks,
Ty

Neil
08-25-2004, 03:57 AM
I can usually pick them up for $1.89/lb. One market I go to has "large slabs" for $1.39/lb. Those "large slabs" look like they came off a Clydesdale. Probably what the illustrater used for a model when drawing the brontosaurus ribs Fred Flintstone used to order at the drive in.

Rusty
08-25-2004, 06:12 AM
Here in the Knoxville area about $1.69/lb frozen, $ 1.89/lb fresh.

Have used both and can't tell the difference.

Rusty

Bill-Chicago
08-25-2004, 07:34 AM
I can usually pick them up for $1.89/lb. One market I go to has "large slabs" for $1.39/lb. Those "large slabs" look like they came off a Clydesdale. Probably what the illustrater used for a model when drawing the brontosaurus ribs Fred Flintstone used to order at the drive in.

I've gotten these too (bout 1.89 also)

I end up wasting a sheetload of them, cuz I St Louy them and get rid of that extra crap cuz my kids don't like the "knuckles" (those cartalidge thingy's)

BBacks still 3.49#

BBQchef33
08-25-2004, 07:44 AM
2.10lb here on Long Island. 3.99 and 4.09 for babybacks.

i mistyped.... its 3.99, changed it from 3.39 on an edit.

parrothead
08-25-2004, 10:39 AM
Whaat the fark. Where are you guys getting your baby backs? My favorite place has them for $5.99. I rang the bell yesterday and called out the butcher. I said what kind of price break can you give me on a whole case. THese are swift premium. He comes back with the calculator and says $4.78 per pound. $1.21 per pound difference. I bought the whole case. Last time I was at Sam's their ribs looked puny and the wanted 4.49 per pound. Jewel 2 days ago $4.99

Last night we were on the phone with 3 different places. tHE LOCAL BUTCHER SAID HE COULD GET THEM TO US AT $4.29, but we don't think he can deliver the quantity we need.

US Foodservice gave us a price of $4.49 a pound. THey also said that they had Danish back ribs at $4.06 per pound and the slabs were just under a pound. We are waiting to hear back from Gordon.

BBQchef33
08-25-2004, 11:11 AM
I get them from costco. They are swifts. Between 25 and 30 bucks for a 3 pack. The local buther shop is 609 and up and they are puny little racks. . Honestly, I think the ones from costco are better.

badger
08-25-2004, 11:36 AM
$1.99 -$2.49 for spares and $3.99 - $4.99 for BB. I also buy them at Costco.

Bigmista
08-25-2004, 11:38 AM
Spares are generally running from $1.99 to $2.99 per pound here in SoCal. Sometimes I get lucky and catch Farmer John Cryovac pacs for $1.79 per pound. Cheapest I've seem baby backs is $3.99 per pound. I have never cooked them. I can't seem to justify the cost in my mind. Hmmm...you say I'm gonna pay more money for less meat? What? They are more tender? Not when the brethren taught me how to 3-2-1 my ribs!!!

badger
08-25-2004, 11:42 AM
You gotta do BB's Mista! Spares can be really good, but there is nothing like a rack of BB's done the brethren way. Ohh man there good.

parrothead
08-25-2004, 11:44 AM
I'm gonna pay more money for less meat?

Not with these swift premiums. They have way more meat than any spares I have seen.

midnight
08-25-2004, 12:12 PM
Spares at the local grocery stores are $2.69 lb and BB's are $4.99 lb.

I got real friendly with a small town butcher shop near where I live so I get my spares for $1.19 lb and BB's for $1.89 lb but I have to buy at least 50 lbs at a time.

Bill-Chicago
08-25-2004, 12:18 PM
Greg
You really need to make a trip to Bobaks here.

They are onsale all this week again.

they got a ****load of awesome prices. BB's are 2 pack cryo's Don't know about the spares, and they are 1.49#

www.bobak.com and click on weekly sales ad.

brdbbq
08-25-2004, 12:19 PM
buy at least 50 lbs at a time.

Does that feed the whole state ?

parrothead
08-25-2004, 12:23 PM
Greg
You really need to make a trip to Bobaks here.

Been wanting to get up there. Just don't have the time. If you get a chance, bring down a slab or two of them to the bash so I can check them out. No need for more than that. I am doing up 9 slabs today and still have a dozen or so slabs in the freezer already for the bash.

Bill-Chicago
08-25-2004, 12:25 PM
Go look at the sales ad, and tell me what you want.

Awesome italian sausage, only .99#

Pork necks are .29#

brdbbq
08-25-2004, 12:33 PM
Pork necks are .29#

What the hell do you do with a pig's neck ?

parrothead
08-25-2004, 12:38 PM
Definately some kishka. Other than that, anything but polish.

parrothead
08-25-2004, 12:40 PM

Boil it down for pork and beans.

Bill-Chicago
08-25-2004, 12:42 PM
Definately some kishka. Other than that, anything but polish.

no polish?

freak!

Solidkick
08-25-2004, 12:43 PM
Spares at the local grocery stores are $2.69 lb and BB's are $4.99 lb.

that's what I saw today :(

Bill-Chicago
08-25-2004, 12:46 PM
If you get a chance, bring down a slab or two of them to the bash so I can check them out.

Already did. They taste like pork

Bill-Chicago
08-25-2004, 12:49 PM
Beef short ribs are 1.59#

Is that a good price?

parrothead
08-25-2004, 12:52 PM

Is that a good price?

I don't know. Might as well grab a few of them just for the heck of it.

parrothead
08-25-2004, 12:57 PM

No kidding. I mean how much meat is on them? The ones I get have the most I have ever seen. Way more than you get at places like chili's.

Bill-Chicago
08-25-2004, 12:57 PM
Hell, I just printed the ad. Gonna get a ton of stuff

Center cut pork chops 1.29#
Cryovac Eye of Round Roast 2.29#
Ground Round 1.79#
Old Fashion Balogna in 1# chubs are 1.69#

Green peppers .49#
Red Bell pep .79#

All good prices for around here.

Glad I grabbed that Foodsaver last weekend

brdbbq
08-25-2004, 01:51 PM
Hazel with a Utensil Mod

parrothead
08-25-2004, 01:56 PM
Might make it up there in Saturday.

Bill-Chicago
08-25-2004, 02:09 PM
Hazel with a Utensil Mod

"Goodnight Mr. B"

racer_81
08-25-2004, 02:10 PM

No kidding. I mean how much meat is on them? The ones I get have the most I have ever seen. Way more than you get at places like chili's.

Speaking of chili's....I had some JD ribs at Friday's the other night. They sucked. Dry, grill burnt, no flavor other than burnt. JD sauce is still good though. I'll never get ribs at Friday's again.

Don't know what the rib prices are here. Seems like the last big buy from HEB was $1.39. Sam'e case price is under $2 last I checked - but it's been a while.

Bill-Chicago
08-25-2004, 02:38 PM
Might make it up there in Saturday.

After you see lamb shanks at 2.79# and boneless veal roasts at 2.69#, I'm sure I'll see you there.

And the tripe soup is only 2.49 for 32oz jar

There's a restaurant connected to it, so its worth the drive!!

Peirogi tonight as an appetizer.

brdbbq
08-25-2004, 02:42 PM
And the tripe soup is only 2.49 for 32oz jar

I do tripe for free.

Bigmista
08-25-2004, 03:32 PM
Pork necks are .29#

I just got done eating some neck bones, collard greens and smothered potatoes.

I seasoned and seared the neck bones in a cast iron skillet. Then I pulled them out and sauteed some onions, bell pepper and garlic in the skillet and deglazed the pan with some leftover red wine (merlot). I put the neck bones in a baking dish, poured the veggies and the liquid over them covered with foil and braised them for 2 1/2 hours.

I'm still licking my fingers!!

Neil
08-25-2004, 07:03 PM

Is that a good price?

I don't know. Might as well grab a few of them just for the heck of it.

smoked some beef short ribs last weekend I bought at Sam's Club fora $1.19 they were delecious.

Bill-Chicago
08-25-2004, 07:44 PM
Pork necks are .29#

I seasoned and seared the neck bones in a cast iron skillet. Then I pulled them out and sauteed some onions, bell pepper and garlic in the skillet and deglazed the pan with some leftover red wine (merlot). I put the neck bones in a baking dish, poured the veggies and the liquid over them covered with foil and braised them for 2 1/2 hours.

Sounds great BM, but I want to hear about your "smothered potatoes" How do you make these?

racer_81
08-25-2004, 10:52 PM
Pork necks are .29#

Quit it. You're making me hungry.

racer_81
08-25-2004, 10:54 PM
great BM

Whoa!

Crowd Pleaser Mod

Bigmista
08-26-2004, 01:18 AM
[

Sounds great BM, but I want to hear about your "smothered potatoes" How do you make these?

Slice some potatoes real thin. Slice an onion real thin. Cut the onion slices in half. Heat two table spoons of oil in a large skillet with a cover. Add the potatoes and onions to the skillet. Season with salt, pepper and some garlic powder. You can also add some cayenne if you like it spicy. Gove a good stir so everything in the pot gets some oil on it. Cover and cook over a medium low heat . Uncover when the potatoes are breaking apart. Turn the heat up so the potatoes start to brown on the bottom. Flip um over and break up those brown parts (the best parts). Fry a little longer to get som more brown parts. Eat.

Easy ain't it?

Neil
08-26-2004, 03:13 AM
[

Slice some potatoes real thin. Slice an onion real thin. Cut the onion slices in half. Heat two table spoons of oil in a large skillet with a cover. Add the potatoes and onions to the skillet. Season with salt, pepper and some garlic powder. You can also add some cayenne if you like it spicy. Gove a good stir so everything in the pot gets some oil on it. Cover and cook over a medium low heat . Uncover when the potatoes are breaking apart. Turn the heat up so the potatoes start to brown on the bottom. Flip um over and break up those brown parts (the best parts). Fry a little longer to get som more brown parts. Eat.Easy ain't it?

Try adding some diced red bell pepper after you uncover the potatoes and onions. Yummmmmmmmmmv!

stlmike
08-26-2004, 08:14 AM
I make the same thing in a frying pan, but I add some sliced smoked sausage when I add the peppers.
Mike

midnight
08-26-2004, 02:30 PM

I think it comes pretty close!

Artical in the paper today said that pheasants out number people in SD 10 to 1.

Bigmista
08-26-2004, 05:07 PM
Try adding some diced red bell pepper after you uncover the potatoes and onions. Yummmmmmmmmmv!

It's ahrd enough getting my wife to eat veggies. Gotta slip them in when she isn't looking. Otherwise the only veggies we would have would be green beans, greens (including spinach) and salad. Oh and my pineapple coleslaw. She digs that. So does TommyKendall.

Bill-Chicago
08-26-2004, 06:24 PM
[

Slice some potatoes real thin. Slice an onion real thin. Cut the onion slices in half. Heat two table spoons of oil in a large skillet with a cover. Add the potatoes and onions to the skillet. Season with salt, pepper and some garlic powder. You can also add some cayenne if you like it spicy. Gove a good stir so everything in the pot gets some oil on it. Cover and cook over a medium low heat . Uncover when the potatoes are breaking apart. Turn the heat up so the potatoes start to brown on the bottom. Flip um over and break up those brown parts (the best parts). Fry a little longer to get som more brown parts. Eat.

Easy ain't it?

Thanks.

You guys are gonna laugh. My mom made these all the time (goes great with pork chops and applesauce.

But you know what we called it? American Fries (round, not sticks)

Irish household mod

Bigmista
08-26-2004, 06:29 PM
Also called home fries. Just depends on where you're from.

Trout_man22
08-26-2004, 07:11 PM
You guys are gonna laugh. My mom made these all the time (goes great with pork chops and applesauce.

But you know what we called it? American Fries (round, not sticks)

Irish household

Bill my mom did them the exact same way too but she is Lebanese so, either we’re brothers for real (and your not Irish) which is way too strange to think about with no beer under my belt or they read the same Betty Crocker cook book.

Jorge
08-26-2004, 07:18 PM

When does the season open?

midnight
08-27-2004, 09:45 PM

When does the season open?

Oct 15th is the Main opener, they have a resident only weekend the week before. I will be sharpening my shooting skills on doves (opens Sept. 1st)