PDA

View Full Version : Messed up a good tri tip...

BuckSnort
09-09-2010, 12:24 AM
I took a nice looking tri-tip to a buddy's house and way over cooked it...I cook alot of tri tips and have only over cooked a couple...This one was bad...dry and chewy...:mad2: I never use a thermometer with TT's I just go by feel , this one felt perfect boy was I wrong ..At least the sweet corn I BBQ'd came out good...Oh well next time...Maybe it's time I bought one of them fancy wireless thermo units...

citrus
09-09-2010, 03:32 AM
Sorry for your bad luck. Yes a thermo will take a lot of the guess work out of it. Better luck next time.

Captain Dave
09-09-2010, 06:11 AM
Don't feel bad, I don't have much luck with tri-tips either. Sometimes I blame it on the quality of the beef and sometimes I blame it on my wife for making me overcook it. She wont stand for any pink or juices. We call her style "hockey-pucked."

Phubar
09-09-2010, 06:12 AM
Too bad...I'd rather use a thermo to rely on.
It sucks to loose a good piece of meat!

BuckSnort
09-09-2010, 11:28 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking about getting one of those Maverick wireless ones....Are they still the best bang for the buck?

Groundhog66
09-09-2010, 11:35 PM
The Mavericks are nice, I have had good luck with mine. You might also consider a nice instant read therm like a Thermapen, really nice.

Fishawn
09-10-2010, 02:25 AM
Go with a Thermapen...... I am a "Left Coaster" as well..... Tri-Tip is one of the best cuts of Beef for grilling/smoking & IMO is totally under rated for grilling/smoking (as well as being unavailable in many areas) .... I personally trust my eyes for doneness on a Tri & am rarely not close.... But a Thermapen takes any guessing out of it.....