PDA

View Full Version : Almost Nailed it............Ribs

bottomsupbbq
09-06-2010, 09:46 PM
I have been working on my comp meat's all summer long and have my flavor profile for ribs exactly were I want it. These ribs were soooo close to perfect except unfortunately I cant seem to nail the perfect texture. These ones were AGAIN a bit over done!!! :mad2: What's the secret to perfect texture ribs!!!! HELP!!!! Thanks in advance to all that reply.

ThomEmery
09-06-2010, 10:03 PM
Those look nice :)

Ron_L
09-06-2010, 10:15 PM
OK... I'm going out on a limb here... If they were a bit overdone how about cooking them a little less? :becky:

Smokinrubcom
09-06-2010, 10:54 PM
What Ron L said LOL :-D Man that is one awesome shot of those ribs!

Q-Dat
09-06-2010, 10:59 PM
All i can say is that ive never had two slabs come out exactly the same way. But doing it by feel is my preffered way.

And that pic could be in a magazine. Great looking ribs!

Big Ace
09-06-2010, 11:00 PM
Nice rack! As for the doneness, practice, practice, practice!

Captain P.J.
09-06-2010, 11:02 PM
I think you should send a few racks over to sample... then maybe I can help you better. :becky:

bottomsupbbq
09-07-2010, 08:38 AM
What Ron L said LOL :-D Man that is one awesome shot of those ribs!
Thanks! That picture was even taken with my cell phone!

42BBQ
09-07-2010, 08:43 AM
I see pics like that and realize how incredibly far away from competing I am. So thanks for the reality check Brother, and hope you get those ribs nailed soon.

flyingv4me
09-07-2010, 08:48 AM
Beautiful looking ribs. Only way I can comment on the texture is if you send them over to me for a taste. Since that isn't going to happen...:becky:

Dave Russell
09-07-2010, 08:50 AM
I'm in the same boat, although I don't cook competively.

I was in a bit of a hurry Saturday as the slabs weren't thawed out, so I did a real hot and fast cook on my char-griller, probably 315 avg. temp. I was using the 2-1-10 minute method, but got 'em (three and unders) done in under three hours, and didn't realize it. :mad: They were ok, but sure lost a lot of juice in the foil.

Other than removing from the foil too late, I think I also put in foil a little late.

The other thing I wonder about is if cooking a little lower a temp will make it easier to pull at the right time. Is this so? I mean to cook at 275 rather than 300, for instance. In other words, I'm thinking that just 5 minutes of cooking in the foil at 325 can make the difference between tender and overcooked.

SmokinAussie
09-07-2010, 09:01 AM
I'm afraid you'll have to send me your exact recipe and technique for an honest appraisal....:becky:

Smokesman
09-07-2010, 09:34 AM
Those are very nice lookin' ribs. Have you tried the same recipe in St. Louis spares? They seem to be a little more forgiving when trying to hit that window?

Big George's BBQ
09-07-2010, 09:59 AM
I would hit both of them

jgarofalo
09-07-2010, 10:09 AM
I'm no expert either but the last 2 times my ribs were overdone, it was because my smoker hit the 300 mark. When they were perfect, it was when I held a steady 250. 3-2-1 @ 250 was a great combo.

willie
09-07-2010, 11:01 AM
:shocked: WOW, those ribs look good!!

Jay Bird
09-07-2010, 05:39 PM
Very pretty pron. Love that Simoniz job. :thumb:

Boshizzle
09-07-2010, 05:53 PM
There are many things that can impact the texture of ribs. Are the briquettes you are cooking with the wrong size? Or, if you are using lump, was it made on a Tuesday or a Thursday? It looks like you are cooking them on a UDS or a WSM. If so, do you have the front of it facing Kansas City? How about the glaze? Were the ingredients ever stored in a windowless building? Is the spacing of the grates 3/8" or 1/2"? What about the material your smoker is resting on? Is it wood or some type of masonry? What newspaper did you use to start your chimney? That's an important consideration. What direction did the wind blow the smoke towards when the ribs were cooking? One other thing, was the smoke wood cut with an ax, a hatchet, a saw, or a combination? Does your cousin hang out around stumps?

I really want to help, but you have to give us the important information above. So, send over your complete recipe and process. I need to see the details of that flavor profile and glaze or, I'm afraid, there is no way that we can help you.

bluetang
09-07-2010, 05:53 PM
Those are beauty ribs, look so dang fine:clap2:

bottomsupbbq
09-07-2010, 07:51 PM
It looks like you are cooking them on a UDS or a WSM. If so, do you have the front of it facing Kansas City?
So that's what I forgot :doh:
The front of the WSM needs to face Kansas City. :evil:

Dave Russell
09-07-2010, 09:05 PM
It got deep on this one, boys!:rolleyes:

Boshizzle
09-08-2010, 09:40 AM
:-P It's all in the details!

Seriously, though, you will need to pay close attention to the ribs during the last 30 minutes of cooking. It will take some practice. If you are going to compete, I'd suggest that you learn to test tenderness using a toothpick inserted in the back of the ribs.

To speed up the practice process, cook several racks of ribs at once but put the racks on the cooker in 30 - 45 minute intervals. That allows you work to acheive the tenderness you want on the first rack and, if you fail, make adjustments for the next rack, etc., etc.

But, the attention you pay to the ribs during the last 30 minutes (before you glaze them) is where your target will be found.

1FUNVET
09-08-2010, 10:00 AM
So that's what I forgot :doh:
The front of the WSM needs to face Kansas City. :evil:

Only on even numbered days. Need to face Memphis on odd numbered days :becky:

cgarrit
09-08-2010, 10:21 AM
There are many things that can impact the texture of ribs. Are the briquettes you are cooking with the wrong size? Or, if you are using lump, was it made on a Tuesday or a Thursday? It looks like you are cooking them on a UDS or a WSM. If so, do you have the front of it facing Kansas City? How about the glaze? Were the ingredients ever stored in a windowless building? Is the spacing of the grates 3/8" or 1/2"? What about the material your smoker is resting on? Is it wood or some type of masonry? What newspaper did you use to start your chimney? That's an important consideration. What direction did the wind blow the smoke towards when the ribs were cooking? One other thing, was the smoke wood cut with an ax, a hatchet, a saw, or a combination? Does your cousin hang out around stumps?

I really want to help, but you have to give us the important information above. So, send over your complete recipe and process. I need to see the details of that flavor profile and glaze or, I'm afraid, there is no way that we can help you.

lol. That made my morning.

Hub
09-08-2010, 02:27 PM
There can be significant variations in the tenderness of ribs by batch. I've even had two racks in the same batch come out differently on the same cook! Unlike a good steak where you can guage the fat and marbling by eye, tough ribs and tender ribs can look the same. If you haven't already done so, try sticking to one brand or source. I've had reasonable consistency with Smithfield babybacks (sometimes on sale for $2.98 per pound at my grocery) but lots of variation of quality in the spares and babybacks from Sam's.

Hub

bottomsupbbq
09-08-2010, 07:39 PM
Only on even numbered days. Need to face Memphis on odd numbered days :becky:
I suppose on Holiday's it should face towards Lynchburg!:evil:

BRBBQ
09-08-2010, 09:48 PM
looking great to me

citrus
09-08-2010, 09:51 PM
Very, very nice!

cardfan
09-08-2010, 09:54 PM
sure does look good :-D

puddle jumper
09-09-2010, 10:39 PM
Sweet...Man thoses are a work of art...

:hail::hail::hail:
PJ

Johnny_Crunch
09-10-2010, 07:22 AM
nice glaze, those look great to me!

Vince B
09-10-2010, 07:32 AM
Funny thread indeed! Those ribs look really good in the photo for sure. However I have gone through the same thing with different slabs on multiple cooks. I started out using a 3-2-1 method cooking b-backs and have modified using a 3-1-sauce. This seems to work best for me cooking at 250*ish.

BTW with my wsm the only time I worry about which way my door is if it is windy! :becky:

B-More BBQ Junkie
09-10-2010, 09:21 AM
Those ribs look absolutely perfect.
<--- drooling

PhilB
09-10-2010, 09:08 PM
Those look fantastic to this newb. Obviously, cooking for the backyard and for competition are worlds apart. Wow.

Phil

Kris Mainella
09-12-2010, 06:25 AM
damn is that a magazine photo? lol awesome