PDA

View Full Version : Prime Rib on my UDS Questions

Bluesman
09-04-2010, 11:19 AM
I am going to try doing a standing prime rib roast next weekend for my guys trip up to the UP. So my question is as follows: I am going to try Poobah's recipe and use two cooking items. One 18" Weber Kettle and my UDS. I'm thinking that I would do the high heat part of the cook on the kettle and then transfer to the UDS for the final cooking stage. I don't want to fark with getting my drum up to 350* then having to lower it. Does this sound like a good plan? If not I'm open to suggestions. We will be in the Michigan UP, in a cabin on Lake Superior, 25 miles from town. If I fark up a $100 peice of meat, I will be swimming with the fishes. Some guidance required here folks.

Meadmaker
09-04-2010, 11:45 AM
I love smoked Prime Rib.
I do the whole thing on my Weber all the time. But I can see the logic in using the UDS for the lowered heat part. :thumb:
On my weber I bring it up to 350 and sear the outside surface, then close all vents, and crash the temp. Then I add chunks of Hickory, and completely open the bottom vents and adjust the top vents until I get the desired 200 degrees. If you are looking for med rare, pull when internal temp reaches 110 degrees, in the thickest part of the rib roast. :-D

Have a great weekend.

Dave (A.K.A. Meadmaker)

D.F. Expat
09-04-2010, 12:39 PM
I usually do it for christmas but reverse sear, cook on the uds till it gets close then open all the vents and remove the lid and blast it till it is 10-20 degrees below where you want it depending on size and if you plan on tenting it or just letting it rest.

Sent from my Moto Droid using Tapatalk

Moose
09-04-2010, 02:17 PM
That could certainly work, although you could also try this as well:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75008