PDA

View Full Version : First cook on my UDS

PorkQPine
09-03-2010, 10:25 PM
Ok, I finally got the UDS completed using the Pickled Pig directions with a few modifications and getting ready to do the first cook tomorrow. I remember seeing something about how much charcoal to use for different cook times but don't seem to find it tonight. I think I will just dump in a bag of charcoal and add a few chunks of cherry wood and when the chicken and ribs are done pull them and keep track of how long a bag lasts. Any other ideas or starting points for 4 hour cook vs. 8 hour cook vs. 12 hour cook. Will one 18 lb. bag last that long or is that overkill and really only need 1/2 that for a 12 hour cook? I'll post pictures when I figure out how to get them on the forum.

Johnny_Crunch
09-03-2010, 10:34 PM
fill up your basket, you can close it up and reuse the remaining coals. easier than having your fire go out.

lionhrt
09-03-2010, 11:36 PM
fill up your basket, you can close it up and reuse the remaining coals. easier than having your fire go out.

^^What Johnny says^^
From an other one of my post from cooking on my drum, I forgot that I did have a 1/4 of a basket of lump when I added my Blue K. I just went and checked and it was actually a 16.6 pound bag.

a bag of blue K (14 pounder) I did one smoke for 14 hours at 250 then bumped it to 350 for 2 hours and then today cooked at 250 for 4 hours then bumped to 350 for 1 1/2 hours and still had some in the basket. plus some was still in the bag.

Captain Dave
09-04-2010, 03:36 AM
I use about 2/3-3/4 of a bag for a 10 hr cook and there's always coals left over. I've never done a 12 hr cook on my uds. Things that take 12 hrs on other smokers are done in 10 or less on the uds.

Garyclaw
09-04-2010, 06:42 AM
I've gone 11+ hrs. with a 2/3 full basket.

lionhrt
09-04-2010, 06:51 AM
It would also depend on the size of your basket.

BruceKWHP
09-04-2010, 10:46 AM
I am always amazed at how long the UDS can go on k-blue. I have done 3 and 4 hour cooks with one Weber chimney full.

that being said, now I just pile some k-blue in the basket and hit it with the weed burner to light the center.... cook... then close the intake and exhaust and it goes cold in 20 minutes max.

When I use my chargriller to make a tri tip or some burgers I dump the leftover charcoal in the UDS to snuff 'em and use for fuel in the UDS

UDS charcoal recycling system.... another reason the UDS rocks!

PorkQPine
09-04-2010, 06:45 PM
Holy cow!! I just finished my first test cook. I bought a whole chicken, spatchcocked it and cut in half the added some seasonings and put on the UDS at 250-260 for an hour and a half. It is the most moist chicken I have cooked in years. I think I will love this UDS. I closed off the air inlets and we'll see how long it holds temp with no air.

One thing I did notice when I started it up was when the temp hit 200 I put on the lid and closed off two of the vent holes and watched as the temp jumped to 335. It finally settled down and it was a game of every 15 minutes checking temp and adjusting the air vents on the bottom. I was able to stabalize at 250-260 and for chicken that was just about right.

lionhrt
09-05-2010, 04:02 PM
You should find with each cook you will find out more and more about how your UDS likes to run and after several cooks just set it and forget it. I am almost to that comfort leval with mine. Did you check to see how much fuel you used? I bet you will be amazed by how little it uses.

Crazy Harry
09-05-2010, 04:23 PM
Holy cow!! I just finished my first test cook. I bought a whole chicken, spatchcocked it and cut in half the added some seasonings and put on the UDS at 250-260 for an hour and a half. It is the most moist chicken I have cooked in years. I think I will love this UDS. I closed off the air inlets and we'll see how long it holds temp with no air.

One thing I did notice when I started it up was when the temp hit 200 I put on the lid and closed off two of the vent holes and watched as the temp jumped to 335. It finally settled down and it was a game of every 15 minutes checking temp and adjusting the air vents on the bottom. I was able to stabalize at 250-260 and for chicken that was just about right.

put the lid on right away, don't wait for the temp to come up, you will already be too hot. you will have better control if you catch the temp on the way up.

expatpig
09-05-2010, 05:35 PM
Congrats, what about pics?