PDA

View Full Version : Question for KCquer

Jeff S.
08-31-2010, 09:15 AM
Brother, I know you are still here, I can see you in many of the posts on this board and your influence lives on.

No disrespect meant in any way, but if you could answer a question, or if those who knew you well could respond with what they know you would tell me;

I use cherry wood, pretty much all I use. Every once in a while I will throw some mesquite on with beef, or maybe a little apple, once or twice a year.

I have a huge pile of cherry on the patio, got a ton of it from an orchard and it is just getting to the point of seasoning where I like the smoke the best.

My main question is, the bark. A lot of the wood is small, 2-3 inch branchs. No way to debark. Does the thin bark of cherry really matter that much when using it for my main heat source in my off set? I have used just the heart wood, and the branches, and I personally cant tell a difference. Just not sure if others could.

( I never had the pleasure of meeting "e", but I have been reading his posts and his influence on so many people on this board of brothers, is incredible. I feel like I know him, and have a great deal of respect for him and those who were lucky enough to know him.)

Jeff

Jorge
08-31-2010, 09:27 AM
It's not nice to make a grown man cry.

I think Scott would tell you to "smoke it, if ya got it".

He was one of a kind. He was a phenomenal cabinet maker, and finish carpenter. I'll always remember the scale model he built of his kitchen for a remodel, that was at his funeral. He was detail oriented to say the least. I also remember him having to catch his breath, from laughing, to give me some quality advice to help me finish one home improvement project or another.

Thanks for the reminder to take the time to remember a good friend.

Neil
08-31-2010, 09:39 AM
I'm sure "e" would tell you to use the cherry no matter what size although it is best if cut into "cherry wheels". Friday will be the 4th anniversary of his passing. It would be a good day for everyone to smoke something with cherry.

BBQ Grail
08-31-2010, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the post! Jorge has your answer...

Smokey Al Gold
08-31-2010, 09:57 AM
Nice post I will smoke with some cherry on Friday. I didn't know him but he's brethren and from what everyone says a great person and that's all that matters. Wish I could have known him.

KnucklHed BBQ
08-31-2010, 09:58 AM
Friday will be the 4th anniversary of his passing. It would be a good day for everyone to smoke something with cherry.

Awesome Idea!!

I think it would be nice if there was a thread to make that a brethren wide goal.
I don't think it's my place to start a thread like that, would one of you that knew him well be willing to put up a "Cherry Wood Friday - What's Smokin' Farkers?" post in his honor?

I know there are a ton of stories and fond memories to be told in a thread like that too... like Jeff, I too see the influence that Scott had and still has on so many that are here on this forum, it amazes me and makes my eyes water (I think I got smoke in em' :rolleyes:) just to think that a fellow brethren that passed away long before I was here, has lived on through his words and advice.
Must have been a helluva guy.

Ron_L
08-31-2010, 10:02 AM
Somewhere around here I have the cherry "toilet paper" that he gave a bunch of us at the bash at Parrothead's house. He cut a cherry log that was the same diameter as TP and drilled a hole through it. :-D

For those small branches the bark is so thin that I would use them as they are.

big brother smoke
08-31-2010, 10:04 AM
Yup, heading to Orlando and taking a bag of cherry chips to use on my friend's gasser (gasp)!

The bark is so thin, it will not impact your smoke!

10elawncare
08-31-2010, 10:12 AM
Nice post I will smoke with some cherry on Friday. I didn't know him but he's brethren and from what everyone says a great person and that's all that matters. Wish I could have known him.

I second that!

Jeff Selle
08-31-2010, 11:24 AM
(Nice thread Jeff) I am in for a cherry wood smoke on Friday, as well... My Cajun Bandit Pimp Kit for my 22.5 WSM will be here Thursday, so I will cherry wood smoke a pork butt on the rotisery unit...

Jeff S.
08-31-2010, 12:15 PM
I'm sure "e" would tell you to use the cherry no matter what size although it is best if cut into "cherry wheels".

That is so darn funny! First thing I did when I brought the cherry home was cut like 100 "cherry wheels" dont know why, just seemed like the right thing to do...

Most certainly smokin with the cherry on Friday! Smoke on, sweet blue to ya.

Jeff

Arlin_MacRae
08-31-2010, 01:43 PM
(sniff)
Right on, brother.

Arlin

Bigdog
08-31-2010, 02:16 PM
I didn't know him but he's brethren and from what everyone says a great person and that's all that matters. Wish I could have known him.

In a way you do know him. Scott lives on in his posts and in the Spirit of the Brethren. It's what separates us from a lot of other places where we don't trash people and there is no such thing as a silly question. Scott was always gracious and took the time to help anyone out, esp. the newbie. He set the tone for the Brethren along with those of us who came over from the yahoo site. Long live Brother kcquer. :cool:

Mark
08-31-2010, 02:25 PM
Somewhere around here I have the cherry "toilet paper" that he gave a bunch of us at the bash at Parrothead's house. He cut a cherry log that was the same diameter as TP and drilled a hole through it. :-D

For those small branches the bark is so thin that I would use them as they are.

There was a pic of thatin the old albums page but it seems to have disappeared. At least I have this:

Smokey Al Gold
08-31-2010, 02:30 PM
In a way you do know him. Scott lives on in his posts and in the Spirit of the Brethren. It's what separates us from a lot of other places where we don't trash people and there is no such thing as a silly question. Scott was always gracious and took the time to help anyone out, esp. the newbie. He set the tone for the Brethren along with those of us who came over from the yahoo site. Long live Brother kcquer. :cool:

It's interesting because right before I read this post for some reason I went to the brethren cookbook and was reading KC's Rub recipe since I've been wanting to make it. I normally never even remember to go to the recipe section but for some reason I wanted to read that recipe. Hell I'm going to smoke some chicken legs and sausage today with cherry why wait.

deguerre
08-31-2010, 02:47 PM
Everytime I read a post from bbqbull it's been there, right in his tag:

"KC I miss your advice."

This has always touched me in a profound manner...

chambersuac
08-31-2010, 02:48 PM
In honor of KCquer, I will be using cherry on Friday. I never met the man, but know he must have been a great man, based on the respect he has from the Brethren.

hcarter
08-31-2010, 05:37 PM
wish I had some cherry. Got a turtle though.

Jeff S.
08-31-2010, 06:04 PM
wish I had some cherry. Got a turtle though.

You just got me to thinkin'

ANYBODY in the Pacific northwest that may be near Coeur D' Alene ID before Friday. Drop me a messege or email for my address and I will donate some of this cherry wood for your Friday Smoke!

Jeff

Solidkick
08-31-2010, 06:25 PM
As I set here with tears streaming down my face, I remember the posting of his passing was one the hardest things I've ever had to do....I've been thinking of my brother for some time now....we spent a LOT of hours talking brisket, and much of what I do today goes back to those long conversations. I have 2 turtles I set on top of the smoker at every contest, KC is the night watchman...I couldn't ask for a better pit master.
I still have the video of the tribute we did at the Bass Pro contest four years ago in his honor. Wish I was able to post it here, but the file format doesn't match.

Cherry it is on Friday.

jacob
08-31-2010, 07:46 PM
This here I made some time back for Greg (ParrotHead) I still got to put the trim around the picture. The wood is aged now and the camera vid won't do it justice. All I need PHIL is an addy to send it too. There is one other that is in the works for another Brother and then I will retire this particular one.

I never got to know KC but as many of us do I feel I know him from reading his post and the post of those that knew him best.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p198/jacob65_2007/mural015.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p198/jacob65_2007/mural018.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p198/jacob65_2007/mural017.jpg

I will post the vid I just made as soon as the upload completes.

jacob
08-31-2010, 07:55 PM
video to show the the entire board
http://s128.photobucket.com/albums/p198/jacob65_2007/?action=view&current=KC007.mp4

Neil
09-01-2010, 03:43 AM
Nice work Jacob

Jeff S.
09-01-2010, 01:14 PM
Kick,

Thanks!

Wampus
09-01-2010, 01:27 PM

This is a great point I think. I never got the pleasure to "speak" (via this forum) to KC or in person either, but I SURE can't say I haven't learned from him. I ALWAYS have a batch of his rub (KC's Rub #105) mixed and in my pantry. I have learned from his posts about the art of smoking, hints on brisket and butt, and have laughed at many of his posts throughout many older threads that I've read while here.

I was "introduced" to Scott through the D&R forum more than a year ago. It's one of the essential threads to read (IMHO), next to the "Story of how the Brethren began".

I have to agree that Friday, it's cherry wood for sure.

10elawncare
09-02-2010, 08:23 PM
Well looks like I might be out on the friday cherry smoke! Looks as though a hurricane is going to be keeping us busy (thank god, we most certainly need to be busy!) hope anyone close stays safe! Everyone will be coming to our house's when the power goes out and they smell smoked meats coming from our yards! Stay safe brethrens!

Jaberwabee
09-02-2010, 10:41 PM
I was lurking around when he passed and joined right after, and still remember it. And it is awesome that everyone remembers him, even now that the site has gotten so big, and has so many members. That doesnt happen on other boards.

And as a strange thing, I went and picked up a bag of Cherry yesterday for some reason.

frognot
09-03-2010, 12:29 AM
Will also be smoking with cherry Friday (thanks to Brother Wampus!) in honor of Scott (and will raise in toast in his honor).

42BBQ
09-03-2010, 01:01 AM
Gentleman/Brethren,

This thread embodies why new guys like me show up and don't leave, don't find other forums, and talk about this site to anyone who will listen. This site has inspired a passion in me for Que that a lot of people don't get. Thank you to all of the "mentors" on this site who give advice to new guys like me to get our feet off the ground. Thanks to All Brethren who make this site great. Blessings.

Solidkick
09-03-2010, 11:16 AM
I finally was able to get the video to upload to the new Belly Brothers website, that is still a work in progress..

http://bellybrothersbbqteam.webs.com/apps/videos/

Rover24
09-03-2010, 01:16 PM
Gentleman/Brethren,

This thread embodies why new guys like me show up and don't leave, don't find other forums, and talk about this site to anyone who will listen. This site has inspired a passion in me for Que that a lot of people don't get. Thank you to all of the "mentors" on this site who give advice to new guys like me to get our feet off the ground. Thanks to All Brethren who make this site great. Blessings.

I couldn't have said it better, not even close.

From what has been written about KC, I know that those who knew him were blessed, and those who didn't get the chance to know him lost out.

I would be honored to share in the collective cook tonight, and I couldn't think of a better reason to cut some cherry wood wheels.

Thanks to all, and much respect to KC.

Jeff S.
09-03-2010, 01:38 PM
Been listing to this most of the morning. Kids ask me about it, and I explained the best I could, even showed them some of the things that people have written about Scott.

Great men need to be remembered, everyday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFPXkeUiu7c

Jeff

jt
09-03-2010, 02:45 PM
E was a great guy and I miss talking with him. He does live on here on the site, as others have said. Every now again I go searching for a thread because of a conversation or post I remember. And I remember the call from Kick that Labor Day weekend, right after I'd taken the ribs out of the smoker.

Love you bro. Sweet blue to all.

bbqbull
09-03-2010, 05:56 PM
I think of Scott everytime I make a post here on this forum.

RIP Scott!

Alan in Ga
09-03-2010, 06:14 PM
Cherry tonight it is and raise a glass in KC's honor

frognot
09-03-2010, 09:49 PM
My son & i grilled ribeyes on the BGE using cherry wood (thanks again to Wampus for the cherry wood). Our steaks were secure because turtles were manning the perimeter.