PDA

View Full Version : Turkey breasts on the UDS

BlueHowler
08-28-2010, 08:35 PM
I have two 3 pound Butterball turkey breast thawing right now. It was the only turkey breasts available at the store so thats what I have to work with.

I've brined several whole turkeys that cooked in the oven so I'm comfortable with that.

My question is what temp is best on the UDS? In the oven I've used 325º for the whole bird and I'm thinking the same temp will work for the breasts on the UDS. Will a lower temp say 250º keep the meat juicer?

Saiko
08-28-2010, 09:14 PM
IMO, it depends on how important a crispy skin is to you. At 250, the skin will be a little "rubbery", which is why I just remove the skin if I am smoking turkey breasts for sammich meat.
If you want to keep the skin, I'd go for 225-250 for the first hour or so, then crank it up to 325-350 to finish it off and crisp up the skin. Or just run it 325-350 for the entire cook, I've done both and both have come out juicy as long as I've brined it.

thirdeye
08-28-2010, 09:28 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/BDS/DSC04204a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Barbecue%209/DSC07499a.jpg

I do a lot of turkey breasts in my BDS. Actually both barbecue and roasting temperatures work well. I brine all of mine, and often season under the skin too. In addition to regular seasoning I also do a pastramied turkey breast which has an injectable brine and a peppery rub. I think they come out as moist as the ones I use the traditional brine on.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Barbecue%208/DSC06169JPGa.jpg

The lower pit temps allow for more smoke flavor on the breast, but the skin suffers a little. Because of the low pit temp it's easier to monitor the internal doneness and catch it when it reaches 160° or 165°.

The roasting temps give the skin a nicer color, and of course allow for a faster cook.

BlueHowler
08-29-2010, 08:37 PM
IMO, it depends on how important a crispy skin is to you. At 250, the skin will be a little "rubbery", which is why I just remove the skin if I am smoking turkey breasts for sammich meat.
If you want to keep the skin, I'd go for 225-250 for the first hour or so, then crank it up to 325-350 to finish it off and crisp up the skin. Or just run it 325-350 for the entire cook, I've done both and both have come out juicy as long as I've brined it.

I did the breasts like you said at 250º for two hours and finished at 350º until done at 160º internally. The turkey turned out very good.

Thank you for your help with a newbie to the wonderful world of UDS cooking.

Saiko
08-29-2010, 08:54 PM
Glad to help! I love smoking brined turkey breasts and then vacuum pack/freeze them for sammich meat. Beats anything you'll buy at a store.

ricksegers
08-29-2010, 09:12 PM
Glad to help! I love smoking brined turkey breasts and then vacuum pack/freeze them for sammich meat. Beats anything you'll buy at a store.

The Honey Brined Turkey breast recipe of Saiko's is absolutely the best.