PDA

View Full Version : Least-Favorite Wood on brisket and why?

evilpsych
08-13-2004, 07:29 PM
what wood (that's actually used commonly in smokers... no pine or cedar here please) do you dislike the most on brisket?

I only ask because tonight i'm doing a brisket with mesquite.. and cant say that I care for the odor too much compared to hickory.

I'd prefer to get white oak but finding any is difficult.

Jorge
08-13-2004, 09:05 PM
I'm a fan of cooking with wood only after I get a coal bed going. Just my preference. Mesquite is the hardest wood for me to cook with if I use it exclusively. It burns hot and fast, and can leave a bitter taste. Like you I tend to prefer oak, but I do use some mesquite now and then for a little flavor. Maybe a hickory/mesquite mix if you have some hickory on hand. If it's mesquite or nothing, make sure that you have it preheated to get that sweet blue, and keep an eye on temps until you get the hang of it since the temp can spike in a hurry. If you are using lump or briq and chunks of wood then things should be easier. Preheat and still watch for spikes but expect more stable temps.

fidel24
08-13-2004, 09:36 PM
I dislike Oak period... I use Mesquite all the time, with some hickory every now and then

BBQchef33
08-13-2004, 09:54 PM
Dislike alder on beef... save that for salmon.

i like in order:
White oak and a little mesquite
red oak by itself
Hickory and a little mesquite
hickory and cherry 50/50.

icemn62
08-13-2004, 10:10 PM
Big time fan of Cherry. I like the way it leaves a lite touch on the meat.

kcquer
08-13-2004, 10:56 PM
Don't care for the flavor of red oak at all on anything. Which is a shame because I love the way it burns, so I use it after stuff is wrapped.

That's the stuff!

Haven't tried mesquite yet, but fully intend to.

badger
08-14-2004, 01:22 AM
I have used and like in no particular order. mesquite, hickory, apple, alder.

I use mesquite and hickory the most because that is what I had alot of. I love the smell of both.

I have alot of wood that is seasoned now which is: cherry, oak, birch, peach. Looking forward to using this wood.

Neil
08-14-2004, 06:36 AM
Big fan of cherry and apple. Also like maple and oak because it's readily available. Pecan is excellent but hard to get here "up nort". Always try to score a few logs of pecan when we visit in Arkansas.

david
08-15-2004, 10:09 AM
Dislike alder on beef... save that for salmon.

i like in order:
White oak and a little mesquite
red oak by itself
Hickory and a little mesquite
What's wrong with alder? It leaves a tiny bit of flavor on a brisket... ok, it's too week to flavor brisket and burns real fast, but it's all I've got.

I actually like to mix some white oak in with my alder when I have oak.