PDA

View Full Version : how many whole chicks

BBQ VT
08-17-2010, 10:05 PM
I'm cooking for 80 people mixed adults. Im serving pork sammies and pulled chicken. My question is that i used Soezzy's calc (which is awsome) which told me i need 20 whole chickens does seem hi to anyone?

beerguy
08-18-2010, 11:21 AM
What are you mixing the adults with? sorry, couldnt help myself. Question, is this a two meat affair? Everyone gets both pork and chicken, or a choice?

PorkQPine
08-18-2010, 04:00 PM
There are a lot of things that go into estimating the food needed. How many meat dishes and what are they, what is the event and time of day? What are the side dishes and is it self-serv or do you serve? Each chicken has two legs, two thighs and two breasts plus 2 wings so each chicken can usually serve 3-6 people depending on who is eating, kids, Marines, secretaries, truckers, and if the other meat is a sandwich or plate.

BBQ VT
08-18-2010, 08:17 PM
Good one Beerguy:laugh:. This is a wedding party for 80 adults ranging in age from 20 to 65. This will be buffet style help yourself. The menu is pulled pork, chicken which is pulled from whole chickens, buns to make sandwich out of either, fruit salad, tossed salad and anti-pasta salad. They will be eating around 3pm.

Bbq Bubba
08-19-2010, 08:51 AM
Pulled chicken yields about 35% so assuming your cooking 5lb chickens, 20 will yeild about 35 lbs of pulled chicken, depending on how well you pull them. I would suggest serving chicken quarters or pre portioned chicken breasts that can be used for sammies.

PorkQPine
08-19-2010, 09:06 AM
Consider serving the guests, self serve usually drains the food fast because they think it is an all you can eat buffet they didn't pay for and will stack their plates with everything. Portion control is everything in catering. Ever seen the grazing crowd at a local buffet?

pat
08-19-2010, 09:09 AM
Pulling whole chics is a pain in the *ss! As Bubba said, if you can talk them into chicken parts your job will be much easier. If they insist on the pulled then follow his math above. I would think 12 chickens around 5# each would be enough....right around 20ish pounds of cooked meat.

jestridge
08-19-2010, 04:04 PM
Try this web site allrecipes.com/