PDA

View Full Version : Big Green Egg

tommykendall
08-07-2004, 12:15 PM
Anybody out there got one these? I need to teach a rookie how to smoke. He bought the green egg for starters. If ya got one, gimme a holler - need to talk to you.

jminion
08-07-2004, 04:49 PM
Tommy
I have Primos same, same as far as operating goes.
Call it's easier for me to explain than try to type it.
888-527-7661

The_Kapn
08-07-2004, 05:46 PM
Tommy
I have Primos same, same as far as operating goes.
Call it's easier for me to explain than try to type it.
888-527-7661
Jim,
I saw one of these "Big Green Eggs" actually cooking on the sidewalk outside a BBQ supply store in McKinney TX. Looked interesting.
I was impressed with the construction- but then I own a Bandera :lol:
Can you give us some "highlights"--all the details are not important!
Karen liked it cause it was "cute"--go figure :lol:
Thanks,
TIM

colt45
08-08-2004, 08:52 PM
guy two spots down in CT was using them... he didnt start cooking anything till midnight (brisket) turnins started at noon... they drank most of the weekend :) they seemed pretty slick... and I think they even won an award or 2... I think they sell them as well... cause they had one crack the day they got there and had a new on by the next day, and they had a bunch of flyers for them...

Bigmofo300lbs
08-09-2004, 10:21 AM
My folks own one. I have used it a couple of times. Not enough to offer any info though. All I know is one day they rolled it in over the holidays and asked if I would do the first cook. My response? "Are you kidding me!!??". They had no idea what they had purchased and what a nice piece of equipment it is.

chad
08-09-2004, 10:36 AM
Go to http://biggreenegg.com/bge.htm and check around -- it's a lot like the virtural Weber bullet forum but specifically for the Egg.

I think the key is small fire and good air control.

jminion
08-09-2004, 10:41 AM
Ceramic cookers are outstanding for searing steaks, doing wood fired pizza but still allow you to cook low and slow while using very small amounts of fuel. The difference when cooking on ceramics is you are dealing with rediant heat. The cooker loads ups with heat and holds it for very long periods of time. I really like then for shorter cooks 6 hours or less, longer cooks I would rather use other style of cookers.

tommykendall
08-09-2004, 11:45 AM
Jim -

After reading through the link that Dave Little provided, I only have 3 questions:

1. Should the cooker be seasoned just like any other steel cooker?
2. The FAQ talks about using lump supplemented by soaked wood chips. Any reason for not using chunks or small splits?
3. What your thoughts on spraying/mopping while using this unit?

jminion
08-09-2004, 11:55 AM
tk
You may want to do a few hours at 200 to 225º pit temps just to let the ceramic firebox get broke in a little, other than that it's not like seasoning a metal pit.

Forget chip and use chunks.

Mopping and spraying is just like any other pit, you can spray through the exhaust without opening the pit.

BBQchef33
08-09-2004, 12:38 PM
Guys in conneticut had 2. I was hangin with them Friday Night and they were holding 275 with some lump charcoal about the size of a dinner plate... the made fun of us "stick burners" having to be up all night. One thing for sure... Saturday night while a load of competitors were up drinkin and partying and tending the fire.. these guys were GONE! They left at around midnight to a local bar driinkin margaritas till they closed.. they pulled back up at 430AM, checked inside the egg and went to sleep. They didnt even open the top.. Walked over, looked at the temps, sprayed thru the top and walked away. We didnt see them till breakfast. two things i noticed and didnt like. Capacity.. one butt or a small brisket. 2 fire is directly under the food.. I questioned the direct heat and they said the fire gets so small inside there that its just enough to heat the air, the food is about a foot above it and doesnt get the "grilling effect".

brdbbq
08-09-2004, 12:46 PM
I saw one of these "Big Green Eggs" actually cooking on the sidewalk outside a BBQ supply store in McKinney TX. Looked interesting.

Where in Mckinney ?

The_Kapn
08-09-2004, 12:56 PM

Where in Mckinney ?
Brian,
Can't remember the cross street to Hwy 75--but I think it is the Home Depot one.
Store is in the strip mall to the north side of Home Depot. Right at the bend in the mall and facing East to Hwy 75.
Owner has some toys, but I wasn't impressed. If I remember correctly, good price on Lump.
Hope my memory is right! Age is setting in- you know :lol:
TIM

brdbbq
08-09-2004, 01:17 PM
easy enough