PDA

View Full Version : Need Quick Tri Tip Help!

darita
08-09-2010, 05:48 PM
I've had the tri tip in on smoke for about 2 hours. Meat temp is at 140. All recipes don't seem to regard meat temps as much as cooking time. The recipe I'm following says smoke for 4 to 5 hours, place meat in foil with a little water, then back in for 45 minutes. Should I be concerned that meat temp may go above 160 or should tri tips be pretty well done?

Moose
08-09-2010, 05:53 PM
Unlike brisket, you're better off using the temp to guide you as to when it's done. I'd pull it now and don't foil it if you don't want it done any more than medium...I pull mine at 130-135 and let rest for 10-15 mins if I want it medium rare. Hope this helps...

Ross in Ventura
08-09-2010, 06:01 PM
I'm grilling one tonight well pull @ 130* and let rest for 20-min.

Ross
http://grillingandsmoking.blogspot.com/

TheMidnightSmoker
08-09-2010, 06:08 PM
Smoking Tri is different then grilling obviously. When grilling tri you are trying to find med-rare somewhere around 140-145. With Smoking you can take a page from The Dueling Bubbas smoked Tri recipe which can be found in the book "Webers Charcoal grilling, the Art of cooking with Live Fire". There the Dueling Bubbas smoke the Tri Tip to an internal temp of 160' (approximately 2 hours). Then apply a mixture of sauce and Apple juice onto the meat and double foil tightly. Back on the smoker until fork tender. This could take another 1-2 hours and the meat may reach an internal temp of 180' or more. As I said, smoking Tri is sure different then grilling it.

darita
08-09-2010, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the help, BBQ Bros. I wonder why the recipes I have say to smoke for 4 to 5 hours, then put back, foil wrapped, for another 45 minutes at 350? That would have fried this TT. As it was, I read your replies just as the meat was reaching 160, medium on my temp gauge, so I pulled it off, then wrapped it in foil and I'm letting it rest for a while. Actually, serving isn't for another hour, but I think it will stay heated till then...hopefully.
Anyhow, thanks for helping me avert a TT disaster.

darita
08-09-2010, 06:12 PM
Smoking Tri is different then grilling obviously. When grilling tri you are trying to find med-rare somewhere around 140-145. With Smoking you can take a page from The Dueling Bubbas smoked Tri recipe which can be found in the book "Webers Charcoal grilling, the Art of cooking with Live Fire". There the Dueling Bubbas smoke the Tri Tip to an internal temp of 160' (approximately 2 hours). Then apply a mixture of sauce and Apple juice onto the meat and double foil tightly. Back on the smoker until fork tender. This could take another 1-2 hours and the meat may reach an internal temp of 180' or more. As I said, smoking Tri is sure different then grilling it.
OK. So now I'm a little confused...if I foil wrap as recipe called for and set it back on for another 45minutes, the meat will be well done, right? I like meat medium, so will I be missing something if I stop at medium and don't go the extra 45 minutes?

huminie
08-09-2010, 06:22 PM
For me, there are two ways to cook whole tri-tip. Sometimes I will smoke them...around 250 for 3-4 hours. They come out well done, but are super tender and juicy.

When I want med-rare-ish tri-tip I go direct high heat to get a nice sear and then use indirect (or better yet elevated - think Santa Maria grill here) for a couple hours until internal reaches 130...then foil or cover for about an hour.

Both produce tasty results, but they are very different results too.

early mornin' smokin'
08-09-2010, 06:35 PM
Get it off the grill...stat!!!!

Ryan Chester
08-09-2010, 07:13 PM
I agree. Pull it now!!!! Regardless of weather I smoke them or grill them, I pull at 130*. That's just my preference.

Carbon
08-09-2010, 07:33 PM
Regardless of weather I smoke them or grill them, I pull at 130*. That's just my preference.

I'm curious. When you smoke and pull at 130 I assume it reaches that temperature relatively quickly compared to other smokes.
My question is then isn't that basically the same as grilling indirect? I assume you reverse sear your smoked TT.. Thanks! :)

Ryan Chester
08-09-2010, 07:40 PM
I'm curious. When you smoke and pull at 130 I assume it reaches that temperature relatively quickly compared to other smokes.
My question is then isn't that basically the same as grilling indirect? I assume you reverse sear your smoked TT.. Thanks! :)

It's not the same as grilling indirect because I am cooking at a much lower temperature (250*) and no I don't do a reverse sear. By cooking it in the smoker, it typically infuses a more pronounced smoke flavor.

With that being said, the only time I smoke tri-tip is if I am serving it for peoples choice at a BBQ competition because I can toss a bunch of them in a UDS and be done with it. I prefer grilled tri-tip over red oak.

Carbon
08-09-2010, 07:49 PM
It's not the same as grilling indirect because I am cooking at a much lower temperature (250*) and no I don't do a reverse sear. By cooking it in the smoker, it typically infuses a more pronounced smoke flavor.

With that being said, the only time I smoke tri-tip is if I am serving it for peoples choice at a BBQ competition because I can toss a bunch of them in a UDS and be done with it. I prefer grilled tri-tip over red oak.

Thanks for your reply! Now that makes a lot of sense.

TheMidnightSmoker
08-10-2010, 07:58 PM
When smoking Tri Tips you have to think of it similar to a brisket. You are going to smoke it past medium with no pink what so ever. When smoking what you are trying to achieve is a tender ALMOST fall apart meat. Again, similar to brisket. Most people prefer grilled medium rare tri tip and cringe at the thought of smoking it to such a high internal temp but I have done it and was very happy with the results. One word of caution though-unlike a brisket, do not take it to that high a temp and then let it rest foiled for any length of time or it will dry out. Just let it rest tented for 10 minutes and serve.

darita
08-10-2010, 08:25 PM
Well, TT is done. I took it out at 160. I have to say, it turned out pretty darn good. Nice smoke ring, tender enough to cut with a fork and very juicy. The only thing I would like is for a better outer char. Maybe if I put it on high for the last little bit? Otherwise, my wife kept saying, "This meat is like supergood prime rib!" and it was! Thanks for the help. I take in all input with gratitude.:-D

TheMidnightSmoker
08-10-2010, 11:26 PM
I just noticed that you are in Roseville. I thought I smelled some mighty fine smoke in the air.

darita
08-11-2010, 12:35 PM
I just noticed that you are in Roseville. I thought I smelled some mighty fine smoke in the air.
I'm kinda new to the area...NW Roseville, I think...Crocker Ranch, below Lincoln. I'll have to pic your brain about the where to's and how to's around here. I'm also new to smoking.

TheMidnightSmoker
08-11-2010, 12:43 PM
Any Help I can be is yours for the asking.