PDA

View Full Version : what happened to my butt?

crackher
08-09-2010, 02:33 PM
OK So the flavor was great, but it could have been easier to pull. If was on for 13-14 hrs and the internal temp (measured in several places on both sides) was 180F It would not get any hotter. I read that 200-225 is the temp to remove the butt at, but it would not get there
HELP

Smoker
UDS
Held at 185-215F the entire time (mainly at 200F) according to the termometer place 3" below the grill/butt

colonel00
08-09-2010, 02:37 PM
Well, your smoker temps are probably a bit low. Hard to get the meat above 180 when the smoker is only 185. I always shoot for a smoker temp of at least 225*. Also, you want your internal temps above 195 usually. One option in a stall like that is to foil the butt and finish in foil.

sewerrat
Not cooked long enough
Probably could have cooked it with a pit temp 50 degrees higher

How big was it?

Lake Dogs
I'm thinking your cook temperature was too low. Cant expect the internal temp
of a piece of meat to ever get higher than your cook temperature. Cook at 250.

deguerre
Think you hit a stall. The temp could have stayed the same for a long time before starting to climb again. Bigabyte had a butt that went for over 20 hours a month or so ago...

Whoops, did not see your cook temps before posting the above. Too low.

hamiltont
08-09-2010, 02:38 PM
I like to run the smoker @ 225F-250F. Once the butt is @ 160F it gets foiled & 1/4" apple juice & back on the smoker until it's 200F. Then wrapped with a towel & into the cooler until it's time to eat. Pull it & pour most if not all of the juice back over the pulled pork. Never had a dissatisfied customer yet....YMMV

Bbq Bubba
08-09-2010, 02:39 PM
Undercooked and cooked at incorrect temp.

Run your drum 240ish (find the sweet spot) Cook to 195 and start probing for butter. :thumb:

Wampus
08-09-2010, 02:56 PM
Yeah, I agree with all of the above comments. Need higher cooking temp (225-250), and let it hang through the stall. I cooked a butt last year that took 20 hours. The thing stalled at about 155 for like 3 or 4 hours! Not that uncommon.

If you're pit was at, say 240 or 250, and your meat was at 185, I'd say just pull it, foil, wrap and cooler it, and should come up another 5-10 degrees, but when the pit's only at 185-190? It's gonna be a while.

The main thing is not temp, but BUTTAH!......when the probe goes in with NO resistance.....THEN it's done.:thumb:

early mornin' smokin'
08-09-2010, 03:04 PM
there's no incorrect temp for a butt, as long as it's about 200, cuz that's right around where you want to pull it.

FretBender
08-09-2010, 03:07 PM
I find that a butt doesn't pull well until 195 at the lowest. I've tried 190 and it is tough to pull, 185 a pain. The meat will be done and tasty, but not pull friendly. I usually atart mine at 180 for the first 3 hours or so, then to 225 until done. I only start at 180 since I use a pellet grill and that low temp makes some nice smoke to start. On the UDS I go 220 start to finish.

deguerre
08-09-2010, 03:10 PM
The main thing is not temp, but BUTTAH!......when the probe goes in with NO resistance.....THEN it's done.:thumb:

Or, if you can just pull the bone free. I may have seen that somewhere today.:becky:

huminie
08-09-2010, 03:39 PM
The bottom line on your butt is that it wasn't "done". "Done is not determined by time nor temperature. It is only "done" when it is the desired tenderness for pulling (or slicing if that is what you are after).

There is no need to cook at that low of a temperature IMO. It will only server to stretch out the amount of time it takes to get "done". Fat renders better in the 225 - 275 range.

Each piece of meat is different so you will never know how long it will take to be "done", but if you get your temps up higher, it will likely take less time the next go around. 16 - 18 hours for a butt is not uncommon however, and there is no shame in foiling after about 160 to speed things up a bit.

chambersuac
08-09-2010, 05:52 PM
Yeah, I agree with all of the above comments. Need higher cooking temp (225-250), and let it hang through the stall. I cooked a butt last year that took 20 hours. The thing stalled at about 155 for like 3 or 4 hours! Not that uncommon.

If you're pit was at, say 240 or 250, and your meat was at 185, I'd say just pull it, foil, wrap and cooler it, and should come up another 5-10 degrees, but when the pit's only at 185-190? It's gonna be a while.

Come on, Wampus - when was the last time you were around pork butts? :heh:

I agree - your cooker was not hot enough and/or the butt was not on long enough. Butts are fickle. At least you got the taste right :-P

jestridge
08-09-2010, 06:16 PM
I like 250-300

Bacon_99
08-09-2010, 07:18 PM
Last butt I did was 250 degrees for 18 hrs just to get to 193 degrees - couldn't get the butt to 200 but it pulled real nice anyway.....

thirdeye
08-09-2010, 07:39 PM
OK So the flavor was great, but it could have been easier to pull. If was on for 13-14 hrs and the internal temp (measured in several places on both sides) was 180F It would not get any hotter. I read that 200-225 is the temp to remove the butt at, but it would not get there
HELP

Smoker
UDS
Held at 185-215F the entire time (mainly at 200F) according to the termometer place 3" below the grill/butt

The accuracy of pit temps in drums is hard to measure with absolute certainty, mine have about a 50 difference between a side reading and a reading in the center of the cooking grate. This will change a bit depending on a small load or a full grate. Not knowing where you were really cooking at could have thrown off your estimate for a finish time.

The important this was, you knew that the butt needed a 210 +/- finish temp, and that you weren't there. Whenever something like this happens with larger meats (a stubborn fire, a rain storm, high winds, cooking on an unfamiliar cooker, or even just geting a late start on your cook) your objective turns to making it right. In many cases, the oven will be your best friend. You could have finished it off in a roasting pan, or you could have opted to foil wrap it and finish it that way. Foil would have gotten you to pulling temps quicker. Either way would have worked, and since you had already pit cooked it for 13 hours, I'm sure it had plenty of good flavor and nice bark.

Contracted Cookers
08-09-2010, 08:28 PM
it`s 200 here in mo.right now light some coal should help your cooker get to at least 250. you will not get anymore flavor from wood except bad. at this amount of time .wrap put in oven at 325 till tender. then work on pit.

BigIndianSmoke
08-09-2010, 10:03 PM
crackher, I smoked a 6lb butt this weekend - my very first. Although the taste was superb - I thought it was a little tough. I used three temp gauges. One positioned low, the other high and the third was a wireless probe inserted into the butt.

The probe placed in the upper part of the drum seemed to be the hottest - I kept it between 212 and 237 deg F for 9 hrs. The wireless probe inserted into the meat - climbed steadily through-out the day to 151 deg F. I've read that 137 is optimal - I don't know at this point - not experienced enough.

A final temp of 151 was about all we could do. I would characterize the meat as medium and not as juicy and easy to "pull" as we expected. However we were VERY pleased with the taste.

Jiggs
08-09-2010, 11:36 PM
crackher, I smoked a 6lb butt this weekend - my very first. Although the taste was superb - I thought it was a little tough. I used three temp gauges. One positioned low, the other high and the third was a wireless probe inserted into the butt.

The probe placed in the upper part of the drum seemed to be the hottest - I kept it between 212 and 237 deg F for 9 hrs. The wireless probe inserted into the meat - climbed steadily through-out the day to 151 deg F. I've read that 137 is optimal - I don't know at this point - not experienced enough.

A final temp of 151 was about all we could do. I would characterize the meat as medium and not as juicy and easy to "pull" as we expected. However we were VERY pleased with the taste.

If you want a tender butt that will pull easily, a temp of 151 won't get you there. You will need to cook it until the internal temp is around 195-200 degrees. Now sometimes, it might be a little before that or a little after, but that is a general temp range for pulled pork. 137 is definitely not optimal. Maybe for a tri-tip or a pork tenderloin, but not a boston butt.

When my UDS temp gauge reads 190-200, I know the center of my drum is running around 230-250 degrees. I also use a 12" turkey thermometer that I put through one of the exhaust holes in the lid.

Lake Dogs
08-10-2010, 07:59 AM
BigIndian, see ^^^ above. You were WAY too low internal meat temps for pulled pork.
Need 185 minimum, 195 to 200 optimum. You'd not rendered the fat properly at those
temps... Also, 212 is a bit low a cooking temperature to get the internal temps to 195-200.
Try to get it to maintain the 237 or a little higher for the 9 hours.

crackher
08-10-2010, 01:04 PM
Thanks a lot everyone.. we will try iteration two this weekend.
To a little,
the overnight portion stayed a 200 until the sun broke and then the smoker temp climbed to 225. I chocked it back too far and let is go back down to 200.
the side thermo read 200 and the grill thermo read 210... I will try to maintain a hight smoker temp this time around and post after the weekend. (hopefully with pics)

thanks
Again

colonel00
08-10-2010, 01:33 PM
My two humble suggestions would be to A. Try a smaller butt so the cook time was shorter and more managable. B. Keep a closer watch on the cooker. You mentioned an "overnight portion". Was that unattended for a long period of time? It also seems kind of odd that your side thermo read 200 and the grate thermo read 210. Usually there is much more of a difference.