PDA

View Full Version : "The Chambers Caper"

chambersuac
08-06-2010, 11:30 PM
Mods, I don't know if this belongs here, but I do, simply so the new folk can see the Brethren in action. Move at your discretion. Thanks.

You may or may not know that tomorrow we are having a benefit to help a couple that has been raved not only by cancer, but by bills. If you don't know, the quickest way to read about it is looking at the Brethren Road Trips area for the thread, "ATTN: NoILFo..." (sorry, busy or i'd look it up and post the link).

Anyway, much to my surprise Brethren started offering to come and help. Right now we have 5 out of town Brethren here from four states. Making the trip is Adambomb, Ashmont, Wampus, Ajmcedar, and Ron L.

Folks, these guys gave up their weekend and drove hours to help people they don't know. THAT is the Brethren Spirit - thank you Phil and mods for fostering that - and all of you for making it true.

Okay, so the caper. To my total shock, I was presented tonight with a gift paid for by several of the Brethren. It is a vinyl banner of our Holy Smoked BBQ logo that N8man created. Accompanying it was a beautiful certificate that reads, in part, "This certifies that Dan Chambers / Chambersuac has been honored for his willingness to help others in the community through the power of prayer and BBQ."

Signed by the donors - Adambomb, Ashmont, Gore, Garyclaw, N8man, Ron L, frognot, BigMista, and deguerre.

You guys made my day - more like my MONTH. There was left over money after buying the sign that has already been added to the benefit income.

I will get personal PMs to you guys ASAP, but it won't be tonight - or tomorrow.

You guys are awesome. God bless you and all the Brethren!

Alan in Ga
08-06-2010, 11:54 PM
I LOVE THE BRETHREN I am so proud my family is a part of this group We love you guys and gals. Does it get any better.

chambersuac
08-07-2010, 12:17 AM
I LOVE THE BRETHREN I am so proud my family is a part of this group We love you guys and gals. Does it get any better.

Not this side of heaven, my friend.

deguerre
08-07-2010, 12:17 AM
Not nerely as awesome as what you do on a daily basis Dan.

BBQ Bandit
08-07-2010, 12:21 AM
Always felt better helping others... way to go Dan!

The Pigman
08-07-2010, 12:28 AM
Dan I Know the feeling from doing dayton each year. Was great having you down in May and it is a good thing you are doing now. Hopfully we will get a chance to cook again together. You are Blessed for what you do today and tomorrow. Take time to reflect on all the GREAT family you have coming to help. Brothers in Smoke

zydecopaws
08-07-2010, 12:47 AM
Don't care if this is the right place for this or not, but it's things like this that make this place what it is. Good luck with your benefit; I'm sure it will turn out great given the quality of the extra help you are getting.

Midnight Smoke
08-07-2010, 12:51 AM
Proud is feeling I have of all of you. You all really know what the true meaning in life is, helping each other out.

chambersuac
08-07-2010, 02:32 AM
It gets better - it's 1:30 and we're talking about sleeping shifts. They INSIST that I go to sleep NOW and get more than 2 hours, which is what I planned - because "I need to be fresh tomorrow".

Here I am - at a cook of my own making (okay, I could argue it's of God's making, but I won't) - Brethren no closer than 3 hour drive away are insisting that I get sleep. That's BRETHREN for ya.

God's blessings to them - and to all you reading this.

Phrasty
08-07-2010, 04:18 AM
Awesome stuff here!!

Cheers

keale
08-07-2010, 05:17 AM
That is so great to hear! Don't forget the pictures when you're all done!

jacob
08-07-2010, 05:59 AM
Your Good People, Always Proud to call you Friends and Brothers.

chambersuac
08-07-2010, 07:02 AM
Good morning, Brethren! It's 6 A.M. most of the butts are off and looking great. If you're near Manito, come on over for some pulled pork!

JazzyBadger
08-07-2010, 07:08 AM
This makes it worth waking up all bleary eyed to see.
God bless you guys and gals, you really know how to start the day. So glad I checked here before I went to read the news.

Neil
08-07-2010, 07:13 AM
:cool::cool: This is such a cool place.:cool::cool:

beerguy
08-07-2010, 07:17 AM
Wow, what a gift from the heart. Hope you have great weather and a great turnout for your fund raiser. Brethren helping brethren, its more than sweet blue, its a blessing.

Kevin
08-07-2010, 07:39 AM
:cool::cool: This is such a cool place.:cool::cool:

Yes it is.

N8man
08-07-2010, 07:49 AM
Good Morning Dan!!!

Ron_L
08-07-2010, 07:54 AM
Dan says "Good morning, N8!"

chambersuac
08-07-2010, 07:59 AM
Ron L says, "Dan's the greatest guy I ever met"...or something like that :)

Guys, if this pork tastes even 1/4 as good as it smells, there will be rioting when we run out. Steph, your rub is fan-farking-tastic!

Alan in Ga
08-07-2010, 08:51 AM
I know this is a special event If I am up at 8:30 to follow a thread.You inspire me Mr.Chambers and thats hard to do Thank You

Bonewagon
08-07-2010, 10:53 AM
Awesome. Good food, good people, good cause - nothing better than that. :thumb:

Gore
08-07-2010, 11:53 AM
There's so much love in the air, I can't believe I haven't seen one of these yet:

:grouphug:

Dan, Thank you!

and a big Thanks to Marty also!

Cast Iron Chef
08-07-2010, 03:10 PM
Awesome!!!!! :clap2:

landarc
08-07-2010, 04:05 PM
It sure does feel good to know that this place engenders such incredible and thoughtful actions. To Dan and everyone else, thanks for making this such a great place.

Oh, and Chambers, chat on man. :-D

chambersuac
08-07-2010, 06:19 PM
Oh, and Chambers, chat on man. :-D

Dang, you're about to get mod'ed for that, I bet :)

Thanks for all the kind comments everyone - a special thank you to those who came - and those who donated. I forgot to mention that I did recieve an online donation, too.

We cooked enough pork for 400 sandwiches. I figured, if we sold out, we'd raise around 2K - well, the pork did not come close to selling out, but the donations were generous - to the tune of over 3K.

A great couple of days. We are truly blessed. Pics later after my wife finds where my daughter put our camera. The Brethen will be posting soon, too.

God bless!

deguerre
08-07-2010, 06:37 PM
God Bless you too Dan!

N8man
08-07-2010, 08:09 PM
Dan, you're a Good Man!!!!
Bless you and the Others....

Ron_L
08-07-2010, 08:47 PM
There's so much love in the air, I can't believe I haven't seen one of these yet:

That's how we slept last night :redface:

NTTAWWT!

Ron_L
08-07-2010, 08:57 PM
Dang, you're about to get mod'ed for that, I bet :)

Thanks for all the kind comments everyone - a special thank you to those who came - and those who donated. I forgot to mention that I did recieve an online donation, too.

We cooked enough pork for 400 sandwiches. I figured, if we sold out, we'd raise around 2K - well, the pork did not come close to selling out, but the donations were generous - to the tune of over 3K.

A great couple of days. We are truly blessed. Pics later after my wife finds where my daughter put our camera. The Brethen will be posting soon, too.

God bless!

Great news, Dan!

I think we did a good job serving pork. Out of 22 butts there were only three left, and I'm sure that you will find homes for those tomorrow. Several folks who enjoyed the sandwiches came back and bout either a pound of meat, 1/2 butt or a whole butt! I spent the last hour pulling butts for folks to take home with them!

Dan, you and your beautiful family were great hosts and hostesses. Also, all of the volunteers from the church did a great job building and serving sandwiches.

Gang... One of the things that we may take for granted about this place is the friendships that we build, sometimes without ever meeting (or meating as Bill likes to say) face to face. The volunteers that were helping Dan were surprised that the 5 Brethren involved had never met each other before yesterday! (The exception is Dan and I, and we met briefly at the Wisconsin Dells competition in May). Folks were amazed that Al (ajmcedar), Kempus (Wampus), Marty and Adam (Ashmont and Adambomb) and I (me) would drive an average of three and a half hours to help Dan without ever meeting him in person. Obviously the effort that everyone put in to help their neighbor, friend or relative in her time of need meant a lot to them, but the way that we came together to do it made it that much more meaningful!

BTW, Dan, I really really really don't want to see a pork butt for a long time! :becky:

chambersuac
08-07-2010, 10:19 PM
Ron, I am so tired not - going on 9:15 here - had some work to do with the Fiery Furnace and stuff later. BTW, the WSM was still at 200 at 8PM tonight on that single load lit at what? 11 P yesterday????

You guys are beyond awesome...

Pics will be posted eventually...Lord willing!

You will never know how much I appreciate all of you....keeping your pants on "most" of the time :)

God bless...I'm off to bed and, again Lord willing, for some good sleep.

Paulmark
08-07-2010, 10:31 PM
Way to go Dan!!! And all of you brethren that gave him his banner and those who volunteered. Bravo to all.:clap2:
P.S. For anyone in California that needs help PM me.

Parsley Lady
08-07-2010, 10:45 PM
Sorry I didn't come to help out. Ron is going out of town this week and some laundry needed to be done. I think he saw enough meat so I had a wedge salad waiting for him when he came home. Thanks for being the person you and your family are and I'm glad it was a success!

frognot
08-07-2010, 11:57 PM
BTW, Dan, I really really really don't want to see a pork butt for a long time! :becky:

You will never know how much I appreciate all of you....keeping your pants on "most" of the time :)

i would comment on this but we're not in Woodpile.

chambersuac
08-08-2010, 08:33 AM
Sorry I didn't come to help out. Ron is going out of town this week and some laundry needed to be done. I think he saw enough meat so I had a wedge salad waiting for him when he came home. Thanks for being the person you and your family are and I'm glad it was a success!

Thank you for sharing your husband with us this weekend. He was a terrific asset and is a wonderful man.

bbqbull
08-08-2010, 08:44 AM
Congrats to the Brethren who pulled off another amazing feat.
I am sure the family in need feels very blessed by all your actions.
Thank you Dan for organizing this!

chambersuac
08-08-2010, 09:27 AM
Congrats to the Brethren who pulled off another amazing feat.
I am sure the family in need feels very blessed by all your actions.
Thank you Dan for organizing this!

Bull,
As far as I know - and as hard as it has been, I think we have kept this a secret from them, so far :) Her brother and an elder from the church will be delivering the money, some left over PP, and some donated cookies to them in a couple of days.

The Brethren were invaluable in this - both those who came and those who donated (money, rub, sauce, what-have-you)...but the Brethren as a whole, because without this forum, this benefit would not have happened.

Jeff Selle
08-08-2010, 01:04 PM
This thread warms my heart... I wish I could have participated...

ajmcedar
08-08-2010, 03:25 PM
Dan, thanks for having me. I cannot put into words the feelings and friendships that were created in such a short time. This place is an invaluable tool to learn the are of the cook, as well as a community to share life events.
I am currently on a slow connection, but will get my pics uploaded and posted ASAP.

Dan, your personal family and your church family are GREAT! My hats off to you for your super effort and support of some good folks.

BTW, I am sorry for missing your sermon today.

Dan, Marty, Adam, Kempas, Ron, - thanks for the friendship!:thumb:

Ashmont
08-08-2010, 05:22 PM
I could have started out something different butttttttttttttttt I decided an un-photo shopped pic of Chambers getting the cuffs... Billy called and got him out of it.... (We think Billy had some pull) I think that was around the time the heath dept showed up... Not sure though....

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b321/Ashmont_/cuffs.jpg

chambersuac
08-08-2010, 05:30 PM
Marty, at least I didn't get tazed... :)

ajmcedar
08-08-2010, 08:20 PM
Ok, here are are a few, the rest can be found In a photo bucket album below

http://s882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/ajm_pics/

http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/ajm_pics/IMG_2776.jpg
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/ajm_pics/IMG_2753.jpg
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/ajm_pics/IMG00143-20100806-2207.jpg
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/ajm_pics/IMG00145-20100807-0739.jpg
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/ajm_pics/IMG00154-20100807-0934.jpg
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/ajm_pics/IMG_2779.jpg
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/ajm_pics/IMG_2781.jpg

Thanks to the good people on this forum, a little bit of love and support was able to be provided to a family needing our support.

Thanks to all that contributed time, services, $$ and love.

Peace and Bless all!
:clap2:

ajmcedar
08-08-2010, 08:24 PM

Dan, Thank you!

and a big Thanks to Marty also!

There was a real one prior to everyone leaving, brought a tear to my eye. :thumb:

Bbq Bubba
08-08-2010, 08:24 PM
Outstanding job guys! :thumb:

Ron_L
08-08-2010, 08:50 PM

Wow! That a lot of butts (and I don't mean me :becky:! There's one lonely brisket hiding in there plus a bunch of MOINK Balls and the ribs that i was putting in.

I added the few pictures that i took to Photobucket...

http://s882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/Ronelle%20Pics/

Ron_L
08-08-2010, 09:09 PM
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/ajm_pics/IMG_2781.jpg

BTW, Left to right, ajmcedar, Ronelle, the Fiery Furnace, Wampus, Chambersuac, and Ashmont

jacob
08-08-2010, 09:29 PM
Sitting here reading this thread and enjoying the pictures. It's just hard to describe how it feels to be a part of a group that gives of themselves just because it's the right thing to do. Friendships that are made stronger with gatherings like this, friendships that will last a lifetime. Good job Guys I am proud to know you all.

1_T_Scot
08-08-2010, 09:43 PM
Great Job Guys! Brethern spirit at its best.

chambersuac
08-09-2010, 09:15 AM
Hey, I just noticed how dirty you got the front of the Fiery Furnace. You guys need to come back and give her a proper cleaning. Ron's standing there with a grill brush and didn't clean a thing!?!?

Guys, thanks again for a great cook!

N8man
08-09-2010, 09:17 AM
Way to go Team Chambers!!!!

Nice Banner.....
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/ajm_pics/IMG_2776.jpg

Man!!! The Fiery Furnace holds a lot of Meat!!!!

Congratulations on a Job Well Done!!!!

Ashmont
08-09-2010, 09:43 AM
The corn! You gonna eat that? BTW Thanks Billy for the idea!!!!

http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/Just%20Ash/IMG_1094.jpg

deguerre
08-09-2010, 09:45 AM
Only you could make a piece of corn look salacious Ash.

Stoke&Smoke
08-09-2010, 10:25 AM
Nice job guys, that all looks Dee-licious! And for a great cause!

Ron_L
08-09-2010, 10:30 AM
Nice Banner.....

The logo looks great on the banner, N8! The version with pink smoke for the girls' aprons was a nice touch!

FattyMac
08-09-2010, 10:35 AM
You guys are amazing! :thumb:

The spirit of Brotherhood and humanity are alive and well.
I am reminded of one of my favorite Walt Whitman quotes:
"In the faces of men and women I see God."

Smokey Al Gold
08-09-2010, 10:43 AM
That was an awesome read. I sure wish I lived closer so I could have gone and helped. Glad to see everyone working together here. Love this site.

Ashmont
08-09-2010, 10:54 AM
It was a great time and loved every minute of it.... I feel blessed to have the opportunity to be a part of the whole weekend. Everybody stick around this thread I am sure more will be added all day!

Wampus
08-09-2010, 11:34 AM
Everybody stick around this thread I am sure more will be added all day!

You bet your arse!! I'm uploading the last of the photos now. MUCH PRON TO COME SHORTLY!!!

Had a great time this weekend. GREAT to meat some Brethren. The cook itself went off without a hitch! PLENTY of "qualified" eyes on things all night and day.

MUCH fun was had by all!

Thanks, Chabersuac, for being such a gracious host.:clap2:
Ashmont ..... yes-- the banana peppers were HOT!!:mad2:
Ron_L ..... the coffee was outstanding!:thumb: I am on the hunt for a coffee grinder TODAY!!!
AJMCEDAR ..... great time on our shift at "meat watch". Good to get to know you!:becky:

MUCH PRON a'comin!

Ashmont
08-09-2010, 11:38 AM
You bet your arse!! I'm uploading the last of the photos now. MUCH PRON TO COME SHORTLY!!!

Had a great time this weekend. GREAT to meat some Brethren. The cook itself went off without a hitch! PLENTY of "qualified" eyes on things all night and day.

MUCH fun was had by all!

Thanks, Chabersuac, for being such a gracious host.:clap2:
Ashmont ..... yes-- the banana peppers were HOT!!:mad2:
Ron_L ..... the coffee was outstanding!:thumb: I am on the hunt for a coffee grinder TODAY!!!
AJMCEDAR ..... great time on our shift at "meat watch". Good to get to know you!:becky:

MUCH PRON a'comin!

Do forget the Manito alarm clock hehehehehehehe The peppers wer really hot! Also we got a pic of the beloved Shanester breakfast burrito...

Wampus
08-09-2010, 12:11 PM
Do forget the Manito alarm clock hehehehehehehe The peppers wer really hot! Also we got a pic of the beloved Shanester breakfast burrito...

Manito Alarm Clock???? Don't you mean the farkin' ASHMONT alarm clock?
RECAP: 7:30 after about 2 hours sleep.....Ash, LARGE bell, LOUD voice, "BREAKFAST IS SERVED!!!" KLANG-KLANG-KLANG!!!! Welll, thank you VERY much!

Quick story on the peppers: Ashmont brings like 20 lbs of fresh peppers from the Mexican grocer from home. Poblano's, yellow bells, orange bells, red bells, jalepenos and banana peppers. When we started making up ABT's and prepping peppers to go on the smoker for the "Shane's Burrito's" in the am, I prepped all the peppers (with exception of japs -- AJMCEDAR did those). I ask Ashmont during prep, "Are these banana peppers hot?" "NO, everything but the jalepenos are mild." Cool, no worries. After prep is over, there's a few pieces of quesadilla cheese left over from ABT's and I grab a small peice, pop it in my mouth and (instinctively) licked my fingers. We clean up and walk outside and the tip of my damn tongue is on FIRE! Somewhere along the line, I must have wiped my eye, because I notice that my left eyelid is burning as well!!! I make a comment that, "MAN....did that cheese touch the japs? My tongue's burning!" Ash says that since both he and Al were handling the peppers and cheese, may have been some crossover, but shouldn't be that bad.

Another 1/2 hour goes by and my entire mouth is still like lightning. Can't cool it off with beer fast enough! My eye starts watering, because I just rubbed it again (this after washing my hands TWICE with soap and water!!) AJMCEDAR hears me whine again and says, "C'mon big guy....are they THAT bad?" I can't figure it out and I'm starting to think my rep may be in jeopardy....THIS is no way to make an impression with the Brethren!

After about an hour or so, when we pulled the fatties, ABT's and peppers off the smoke, we commence to sampling EVERYTHING (hey----it's the only thing to do, RIGHT?). After a couple of ABT's by all, they're good. A little heat, but cooled down sufficiently by the cheese and bacon, so good. When we start wrapping everything up, I notice Ashmont standing there, leaning over, his mouth agape and eyes wide. "MAN!!!!! Those banana peppers are HOT AS CHIT!!!!" he says with a still full mouth of the heat, "They were SUPPOSED to be mild!!!!"

AHHHHHH, so they WERE hot?? :doh:

Didn't feel like such a puss after all!:becky:

Ashmont
08-09-2010, 12:15 PM
had to try out my new "aluminum" Corn cooker!

http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/Wampus%20Pics/IMG_0149.jpg

http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/Wampus%20Pics/IMG_0152.jpg

http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/Wampus%20Pics/IMG_0156.jpg

They were kept hot a really loooooooong time. I mean screaming hot...

http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/Wampus%20Pics/IMG_0178.jpg

deguerre
08-09-2010, 12:16 PM
There's sweet nanner peppers...and then there's HOT nanner peppers. 5 to 10k Scoville fellas (had to look the actual number up). What kind do you think a Mexican grocer is gonna have?

deguerre
08-09-2010, 12:17 PM
BTW - thanks all of you guys for posting the pics!

ajmcedar
08-09-2010, 12:19 PM
The corn was great, Ash's cooker did a fantastic job.

Ashmont
08-09-2010, 12:22 PM
How about the Heath dept eating in the boo.... (Base of operations)

Lake Dogs
08-09-2010, 12:33 PM
There's sweet nanner peppers...and then there's HOT nanner peppers. 5 to 10k Scoville fellas (had to look the actual number up). What kind do you think a Mexican grocer is gonna have?

From what I've seen, the average hot banana pepper runs right at 10k
scoville. Compare that to the average jalapeno being around 5k scoville.
Yeah, those babies were probably HOT HOT HOT. Looks like y'all had
a great time!

Ashmont
08-09-2010, 12:56 PM
Da peppers.....

http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/Wampus%20Pics/IMG_0123.jpg

chambersuac
08-09-2010, 01:14 PM
Thanks for posting pictures, guys. We finally located our camera - now just gotta get around to getting the pictures off.

The Brethren were incredible...worked their arses off. In addition to their time, talents, gas money, they brought a ton of stuff with them. Thanks for all the wood, food, coffee - and especially the banner. You guys really blew me away. People at Church yesterday were bragging on you, too. I told them that you guys proved that I DO have friends...especially ones that hadn't met me before.

It was indeed a pleasure to meet all of you (and seeing you again, Ron). You are a bunch of great men that I'm now proud to call friends. If you ever need anything, drop me a line! If I can ever loan the Fiery Furnace to help one of your causes, we're there!

Oh, by the way, how many times did you guys get lost getting OUT of Manito???

Ashmont
08-09-2010, 01:17 PM
Thanks for posting pictures, guys. We finally located our camera - now just gotta get around to getting the pictures off.

The Brethren were incredible...worked their arses off. In addition to their time, talents, gas money, they brought a ton of stuff with them. Thanks for all the wood, food, coffee - and especially the banner. You guys really blew me away. People at Church yesterday were bragging on you, too. I told them that you guys proved that I DO have friends...especially ones that hadn't met me before.

It was indeed a pleasure to meet all of you (and seeing you again, Ron). You are a bunch of great men that I'm now proud to call friends. If you ever need anything, drop me a line! If I can ever loan the Fiery Furnace to help one of your causes, we're there!

Oh, by the way, how many times did you guys get lost getting OUT of Manito???

Didnt get lost once! Dorthy's lobotomy worked and she navigated us home perfectly. Glad to do it Dan glad you had us.... Any time brother anytime....

Wampus
08-09-2010, 01:34 PM
Here's some photos of the whole thing.......

Leaving.....traffic jam in Indy--about 15 minutes from the farkin HOUSE!
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/Wampus%20Pics/IMG_0089.jpg

Oh, well.....I'm ready for the LONG haul!
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/Wampus%20Pics/IMG_0092.jpg

During the drive.....drove right through a wind farm!
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/Wampus%20Pics/IMG_0221.jpg

HELLO MANITO!!
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/Wampus%20Pics/IMG_0111.jpg

The "Dan Chambers Place of Business"
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/Wampus%20Pics/IMG_0201.jpg

Here's where it all went down (the COOK, I mean).....
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/Just%20Ash/IMG_1071.jpg

Group PHOTO shortly after the "unveiling": From R to L-- Ashmont, Delanie Chambers, Ron_L, CHAMBERSUAC, Andrew Chambers, Mrs. Chambers (TOLD you I was bad with names!!!), AJMCEDAR, ADAMBOMB, and Wampus
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/Wampus%20Pics/IMG_0112.jpg

Ron_L prepping the ribs (2 racks of spares and a BB)
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/ajm_pics/IMG00141-20100806-2206.jpg

RUB applied
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/Wampus%20Pics/IMG_0113.jpg

WHAT?!?!?! We're just making FATTIES!!! Nothing to see here!
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/Just%20Ash/IMG_1069.jpg

RIBS and FATTIES: ON!! Now that THERE is a cooker full 'o' MEAT!
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/Wampus%20Pics/IMG_0116.jpg

MOINK's came off first. Dan had them smoking when the troop arrived.
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/Wampus%20Pics/IMG_0128.jpg

It's MOINK grease on my shirt.....HONEST!!
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/ajm_pics/IMG_2756.jpg

Preppin' peppers....
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/Wampus%20Pics/IMG_0119.jpg

PEPPERS: PREPPED! Ashmont: "I'm tellin' you, everything but the japs are MILD!" .............:shocked:
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/Wampus%20Pics/IMG_0123.jpg

That's a WHOLE lot of ABT's!! (Japs, quesadilla cheese and bacon)
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/Wampus%20Pics/IMG_0127.jpg

PEPPERS: ON with the meat! Lower left is Dan's secret chili surprise!
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/Wampus%20Pics/IMG_0125.jpg

Hangin' by the cooker......ALL IS WELL!
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/Wampus%20Pics/IMG_0117.jpg

http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/Wampus%20Pics/IMG_0118.jpg

Getting ready to start foiling butts.....
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/ajm_pics/IMG_2757.jpg

Ashmont wrappin' butts!!
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/Wampus%20Pics/IMG_0130.jpg

Ron, checking temp and rotating/handling the meat.....
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/Wampus%20Pics/IMG_0131.jpg

After that, FATTIES came off....
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/Wampus%20Pics/IMG_0132.jpg

And the ABT's came off of the WSM....
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/Wampus%20Pics/IMG_0134.jpg

A slight lapse in time. Ron and Dan went off to bed....then Marty. Al and I kept watch the next couple of hours, took off the first round of butts that were done and coolered.

SHIFT CHANGE!!

Ash cookin' up some breakfast! Fatty sausage gravy with rub sprinkled throughout:
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/Ronelle%20Pics/PB140173.jpg

And eggs for the burritos.........
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/Ronelle%20Pics/PB140182.jpg

Mmmmmm....... It's BREAKFASTY!!
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/Ronelle%20Pics/PB140180.jpg

THEN comes the part where Ashmont found a bell as large as his damn head and decided he's gently (HA!:roll:) wake up Kempis and Al.

Oh, well......did someone say BREAKFAST???
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/ajm_pics/IMG00146-20100807-0810.jpg

Now THAT'S a burrito!!!!
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/Wampus%20Pics/IMG_0144.jpg

Smoked peppers. Oh, yeah......and the bananas were HOT!!!
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/Wampus%20Pics/IMG_0138.jpg

THE VEND......comin' up!

Ashmont
08-09-2010, 02:23 PM
It was the log peppers in the middle of the pan that will kick you arse.....

Wampus
08-09-2010, 02:23 PM
Setting up....
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/Wampus%20Pics/IMG_0145.jpg

The signage, while the Team Chambers banner flies!!!
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/Wampus%20Pics/IMG_0191.jpg

DON'T FORGET THE SWEET CORN!!! Marty brought his new steamer....
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/Wampus%20Pics/IMG_0197.jpg

Filled.....
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/Wampus%20Pics/IMG_0154.jpg

To the........
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/Wampus%20Pics/IMG_0156.jpg

BRIM!!!
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/Wampus%20Pics/IMG_0161.jpg

We weren't sure, but we THOUGHT that Adambomb liked it!!:becky:
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/Wampus%20Pics/IMG_0188.jpg

The Chambers' kids and their new "Team Chambers" aprons:
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/Wampus%20Pics/IMG_0167.jpg

Delanie's had PINK SMOKE!!!
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/Wampus%20Pics/IMG_0198.jpg

BROTHERS IN SMOKE!!!
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/ajm_pics/IMG00150-20100807-0900.jpg

One of the first things that happened: THE COPS CAME!!! (so, it WAS officially a Brethren event!!)
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/Just%20Ash/IMG_1078.jpg

And the ARRESTED DAN!!! The officer said, "This BBQ just ain't good enough!" (SURELY YOU JEST!!!)
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/ajm_pics/IMG00155-20100807-0936.jpg

OK......fun and games are over!.....time to start pullin' pork!
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/Wampus%20Pics/IMG_0162.jpg

Ron and Kempis pullin'
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/Just%20Ash/IMG_1076.jpg

It just FELL apart.
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/Wampus%20Pics/IMG_0165.jpg

Just grab the bone.......
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/Wampus%20Pics/IMG_0186.jpg

.......and LIFT!
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/Wampus%20Pics/IMG_0187.jpg

I gotta get me some of THIS!!
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/ajm_pics/IMG00154-20100807-0934.jpg

And later.....I SURE DID!!! YUM!!!!
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/ajm_pics/IMG_2779.jpg

All set up!!!
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/Wampus%20Pics/IMG_0176.jpg

Homemade cookies from the church members:
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/Wampus%20Pics/IMG_0180.jpg

Corn with melted butter.....
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/Wampus%20Pics/IMG_0178.jpg

MMMMMMMM.......this corn's ALMOST as good as it is in INDIANA!!:wink:
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/Wampus%20Pics/IMG_0193.jpg

The Health inspector stopped by, and all was well!
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/Wampus%20Pics/IMG_0175.jpg

Meat was at temp in roasters....(don't it look JUICY?!?!?!)
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/Wampus%20Pics/IMG_0174.jpg

A man and his RED thermopen!! (there was some kind of debate going on between BLUE and RED thermo's....:doh:)
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/Wampus%20Pics/IMG_0173.jpg

Even at the end of the event, at this point, the first butts had been in the cooler for about 12 hours and STILL....
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/Wampus%20Pics/IMG_0204.jpg

"Head's Red" sauce was the talk of the tent!
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/Wampus%20Pics/IMG_0185.jpg

Sammies were sellin well!
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/Wampus%20Pics/IMG_0182.jpg

After it was all over, Ron pulled the last oh.....6 (about) butts. Some of the meat was still so hot when we bagged it up that we had some casualties! The enitre side of 2 bags split open!

Ron dubbed it, "GROUND PORK"!!!
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/Wampus%20Pics/IMG_0206.jpg
Such a shame........

After everything was packed up, moved back to the church, the crew was STILL STANDING!
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac25/chambers_charity/Wampus%20Pics/IMG_0207.jpg

And a VERY good time was had by ALL!!!!

I can't tell you all how much a pleasure it was to be surrounded by such great company. Oddly enough, from the very beginning, there was very little "akwardness" for having just met relatively complete strangers! Great conversation, great food, great company that turned into fast friendships!

I have said it many times before (mostly in Cattle Call!!!!), but......
THIS PLACE ROCKS!!!!

My wife can roll her eyes all she wants when I talk about the "Brethren" before, during and after cooks at home. THIS place is an UNBELIEVABLE place. I've learned EVERYTHING I know about the real deal smokin' from this place. I've grown SOOOO much in the past year in my experience as a cook and my "teachability" and confidence in showing others around me "how it's done".

I thank you from the bottom of my heart, everyone that has anything to do with this forum, from the MODS for keeping a close eye to make it a fair, fun place to ask questions, to the newbie's who join everyday (just like me) and keep on askin' those questions.

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:YAY BBQ BRETHREN!!!!:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Really.....without www.bbq-brethren.com (http://www.bbq-brethren.com..................this) .......the AWESOME event that I just spent the last couple of hours posting photos about, quite simply, would NOT HAVE BEEN POSSIBLE!!! Or at least, not the way it all came about!! (Hey.....I ain't sayin' Chambers wouldn't have pulled it off, but I know I sure wouldn't have wanted to do all that by MYSELF!!)

OK.....now I've REALLY got to get some work done!!!

billm
08-09-2010, 02:30 PM
great pics..another successful Brethren cook!

chambersuac
08-09-2010, 02:41 PM
Thanks for all the pictures. What no one sees in the pictures is the amount of work the Brethren did...and how little I did :) Seriously, this event would not have been nearly as good without you guys...even you, Al :)

Billm, everyone loved your sauce. I should have brought a case from Heritage to sell. Steph, your rub ROCKED. Ash, all the food you brought was delicious - and the other corn was snapped up yesterday by grateful people. Ron - your coffee has made you famous around here! Al and Kempis, you insisted I go to bed, and for that I'm thankful - as I would have been even worse Saturday had you not...and may have gotten tazed as well as cuffed :)

God bless each and every one of the Brethren!

Oh, btw, just had two of those peppers for lunch. They are a bit on the warm side. LOL

Wampus
08-09-2010, 02:46 PM
Oh, btw, just had two of those peppers for lunch. They are a bit on the warm side. LOL

YOU AIN'T CHITTIN' PASTOR!!!!

And......I just had some pulled pork and ribs for lunch while posting!! MMMM!!!!:clap2:

Big George's BBQ
08-09-2010, 02:50 PM
You guys are totally awesome Thank You all. Dan thanks for the work that you do :clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

chambersuac
08-09-2010, 02:54 PM
YOU AIN'T CHITTIN' PASTOR!!!!

And......I just had some pulled pork and ribs for lunch while posting!! MMMM!!!!:clap2:

Oh yeah, how did the ribs turn out?
One of the best endorsements for the pulled pork was that my daughter (who never really wants to eat meat often) kept eating in off and on Saturday and then asked for more yesterday.

BTW, the remaining four butts sold after church - and we could have sold ten or more!

Big George's BBQ
08-09-2010, 02:56 PM
BTW food look really good

Ashmont
08-09-2010, 02:58 PM
One of the best endorsements for the pulled pork was that my daughter (who never really wants to eat meat often) kept eating in off and on Saturday and then asked for more yesterday.

BTW, the remaining four butts sold after church - and we could have sold ten or more!

@ Wampus I just blew Diet Dr. Pepper all over my computer abot the peppers being hot.

@ Chambers I think your non corn eating daughter has changed her ways. Just remember to steam it in husk.

Wampus
08-09-2010, 03:01 PM

The ribs were GRRRRRRRREAT!!

They were VERY tender (probably from sitting in the foil for sooooo long) and full of great flavor. I believe we rubbed them with BBS's rub as well, right? Nice bark, great smoke ring and held on the bone well. The "bite" was a little soft, but like I said.....I'm sure that was from being foiled for what.....EVER? I know that Al and I pulled them with the first round of butts, so the ribs were coolered all day long, and THEN had to make the 4 hour trip home. Still.....VERY good.

I called home about an hour before I got there and told the wife to just give the kids a snack, 'cause Daddy was bringin' home PORK!
They literally MET ME AT THE DOOR!!!!:laugh:

chambersuac
08-09-2010, 03:05 PM
Marty, yeah she had four pieces of corn Saturday and two last night :)

Kempus, I think the ribs were rubbed with Simply Marvelous Spicy Apple. Glad they were good - I wasn't sure if they would fall of the bone before they made it home, or not.

Ashmont
08-09-2010, 03:09 PM
Marty, yeah she had four pieces of corn Saturday and two last night :)

Kempus, I think the ribs were rubbed with Simply Marvelous Spicy Apple. Glad they were good - I wasn't sure if they would fall of the bone before they made it home, or not.

Dan what do you think of the strawberry rhubarb pie?

chambersuac
08-09-2010, 03:13 PM
Ash, glad you mentioned that - I noticed you left them last night. We didn't open them - and will gladly bring them Wed. We don't want Adambomb missing out :)

Oh, btw, I don't know if I told ya, but I'm sorry I had to kill you off in the sermon yesterday :)

Ashmont
08-09-2010, 03:20 PM
Can you also bring the jar of spinach dip?

Wampus
08-09-2010, 03:21 PM
Oh, btw, I don't know if I told ya, but I'm sorry I had to kill you off in the sermon yesterday :)

HA!! Probably made the story more BELIEVABLE, huh? :becky:

OH.....is it considered "OFF TOPIC" if you're one of the guys putting the thread together?

Sorry. Smartarse, I know.

Just sayin'.:becky:

ajmcedar
08-09-2010, 03:34 PM
Kempis, thanks for the pictorial timeline and the great writeup :thumb:

chambersuac
08-09-2010, 03:52 PM
Al, it's about time you chimed in this afternoon. Slacker :)

Kempus, we're about as "on topic" as we were Friday night. did you hear the one about....oh, never mind.

Marty, I can make no promises about the amount of spinach dip left :)

big brother smoke
08-12-2010, 03:30 PM
I wish I could have been there! I am glad to have participated in a small way!

chambersuac
08-12-2010, 03:33 PM
Steph, you would have had a great time - there were great guys here...well, and then there way me, too.

Your rub was a huge hit.

ajmcedar
08-12-2010, 04:20 PM
^^^^It really was a great tasting rub :thumb:

chambersuac
08-13-2010, 11:54 AM
Update: We had our Church Council meeting last night and our Treasurer has added up the money from the benefit, including some that was mailed in. After expenses (well, OUR expenses, not counting all the expenses the Brethren incurred - thanks again) it looks like we will be sending the couple about $5,000.

The Brethren ROCK! Thank you guys so much from all of us here. You guys are still the talk of the town - and believe it or not...in a good way :)

Ashmont
08-13-2010, 01:07 PM
Nooooo Problem Sir loved doing it for them.... Just remember not only are we the talk of the town but there is pulled pork all over town... hehehehehe

ajmcedar
08-13-2010, 01:27 PM
Anything to help, it was definitely worth it for me, and I would gladly do it again!

BTW, I must have gotten a super tough bag as mine was still intact when I got home.

chambersuac
08-13-2010, 01:46 PM
Al, I blew on yours to cool it off. :)
Marty, yep, the folk from Church all had their bags burst - but nobody complained :)

Ashmont
08-13-2010, 05:01 PM
Id be interested in doing a reunion next year! Maybe a church pic a nic ! All money can go to the church for a project for the kids of Manito. Adam and I had fun fer sure... Will be back (Terminator mod)... hehehehehe

chambersuac
08-13-2010, 05:31 PM
sounds great, Marty - we just gotta get better bags :)

Ashmont
08-13-2010, 05:38 PM
sounds great, Marty - we just gotta get better bags :)

I think the key is to put 163 degree pork in a bag and let it cool a little before sealing.. Just a thought or food saver bags. I have never had that issue before....

keale
08-14-2010, 05:52 AM
WOW! That was truly amazing! You guys worked your butts off, and still had fun!
Thanks for sharing!

Hey Dan your boy has good taste in football teams!!

chambersuac
08-14-2010, 11:34 AM
Keale, I get it...worked your BUTTS off...LOL.
It was a truly amazing thing to be on the receiving end of so much Brethren support!
Thanks again, y'all.

Wampus
08-14-2010, 12:48 PM
Thanks again, y'all.

:bow::wink:

Glad to help. Had a lot of fun and.......uh...........LOT'S of food!!:becky:

Ron_L
08-14-2010, 02:09 PM
Id be interested in doing a reunion next year!

As much as we may be the talk of the town now, I'm not sure that they will be ready for us to come back! Especially with the way Al was hitting up all of the old ladies :heh:

ajmcedar
08-16-2010, 02:28 PM
Hey now, they have needs too:wink:

chambersuac
08-16-2010, 02:31 PM
LOL! You wouldn't believe all the phone numbers I was asked to send to Al :)
MOST of them were from women. :-P

The check, pork, and cookies were delivered this morning - the secret had been kept and they were very surprised and extremely grateful. Mary asked me to tell you all thank you...so, "Thank you!"

Ashmont
08-16-2010, 02:35 PM
LOL! You wouldn't believe all the phone numbers I was asked to send to Al :)
MOST of them were from women. :-P

The check, pork, and cookies were delivered this morning - the secret had been kept and they were very surprised and extremely grateful. Mary asked me to tell you all thank you...so, "Thank you!"

Make Sure they get to see the pics in photobucket

chambersuac
08-16-2010, 02:39 PM
Good idea, Marty. I know they took a lot of pictures with them to show off - I'll send the link to photobucket, though.

chambersuac
08-17-2010, 02:44 PM
I was trying to bump this up on the list for jungspike, and typed, "yewp". Ooops.

Oh, just so you know, I'm planning on doing a LARGER cook to benefit the Special Operations Warrior Fund. Who's with me???

Wampus
08-17-2010, 02:50 PM
I was trying to bump this up on the list for jungspike, and typed, "yewp". Ooops.

Oh, just so you know, I'm planning on doing a LARGER cook to benefit the Special Operations Warrior Fund. Who's with me???

Ooooooohhhh, really? THAT's a cause I can sure get behind too!
When? Where? Cooking in Mooresville, IN for it are ya?:heh:

chambersuac
08-17-2010, 02:55 PM
Wampus, looking to do it in a place larger than Manito, that's for sure. I just came up with the idea a couple of days ago - don't have any details settled yet - open to suggestions...but I figure if we can raise 5K locally in Manito, we can do more for such a great cause in a larger area...

ajmcedar
08-17-2010, 03:02 PM
Ima watch this :thumb:

Ashmont
08-17-2010, 04:39 PM
Tell us more about this Special Operations Warrior Fund! I am watching as well... Reunion baby Reunion!!!!! Do you think all Al's "girlfriends" will come?

chambersuac
08-17-2010, 07:59 PM
Special Operations Warrior Foundation is the right name of it - you can read about it here and give me your thoughts, as you see fit.

http://www.specialops.org/

ChicagoSizzlin
08-17-2010, 08:05 PM
Subscribed -