PDA

View Full Version : Pulled Chuck Roast Tips?

Sub
08-06-2010, 09:31 AM
i'll be doing my first attempt at chuck roast tomorrow for some neighbors to munch on before the UFC fight, i've been reading as much information as I can gather but I wanted to post here to see if any one had any suggestions on what they have had success with.

Right now I plan on buying 2 3-4 lb chuck roasts, soak one of them in shiner over night and the other will be injected with a garlic type recipe. Smoking for about 3 hours per pound or until it passes the fork twisting test.

colonel00
08-06-2010, 10:16 AM
3 hours per pound might be a bit long depending on your setup and temps. Usually I use 1.5 hours per pound as a guide on most cooks. I will be doing some chuckies this weekend as well. Usually I cook them up to ~160* and then foil with some liquid until it reaches 195-200*.

Ron_L
08-06-2010, 10:37 AM
If you can find bigger chucks, but them. You can always freeze the leftovers. The smaller chucks can dry out too easily.

I agree with the colonel on cooking time. 3 hours per pound is going to be too long. Depending on the cooker temp and type of cooker they will probably be done in 75 - 90 minutes per pound. But, as you said, cook them until they are tender and a probe slides in like going into hot butter. For chucks, this is typically around 200 - 205 internal. If they get done early just put them into a dry, pre-heted cooler and insulated it with clean towels or clean newspaper. They will stay hot for hours. Also, the rest helps the juices and flavor circulate throughout the roast.

Foiling is up to you. I do foil mine and usually do so based on the bark color more than a specific internal temp. When the bark gets to the color that I like I foil with some sort of liquid. Beef broth seasoned with granulated garlic, granulated onion and some rub is a good choice.

fttom
08-06-2010, 10:44 AM
When purchasing the chuck(s), look for the ones that are well marbled, defaintely helps in great moist meat. I just rub with my favorite briket rub, and take it to 200 degrees and let rest and EAT ! The best !!!! Man, this talk on chucks is making me hungry !!!

WineMaster
08-06-2010, 10:49 AM
I did a 17 lb Chuck roll that I injected with Butcher mixed with flat Dr Pepper. It turned out great. Get a Chuck roll instead of 2 roasts. You wont be sorry.