PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta Magazine's Georgia BBQ Review, including top 5

Saiko
08-04-2010, 07:11 AM
Pretty cool article in this month's Atlanta Magazine. The writer visited 58 BBQ restaurants in Georgia and reviewed them all, and then ranked the top 5. You can't read the entire article online without paying 99 cents, but here is the online overview:
http://www.atlantamagazine.com/july2010/coverstorypreview/bbq.aspx

There is also a very cool google map that highlights all 58 restaurants, and also includes the top 5:
http://www.atlantamagazine.com/july2010/greatatlantabbqroadmap.aspx

And the top 5:
Hickory Pig: 3605 Thompson Bridge Rd., Gainesville, GA 770-503-5235
Sams BBQ1: 4944 Lower Roswell Rd., Marietta, GA 770-977-3005
Swallow at the Hollow: 1072 Green Street, Roswell, GA 678-352-1975
P'cheen (Monday nights only): 701-5 Highland Ave., Atlanta, GA 404-529-8800
Blind Pig BBQ: 873 Barnetts Bridge Rd., Jackson, GA 770-504-0250
Only place I've been to is Sams, and than was back when it was Sam and Dave's (Dave left and has his own joint now). Sam compete's, and his BBQ is usually very good.

Pretty decent article, if you live in the area or plan on visiting it may be worth paying the 99 cents (or buying the magazine). The overview link above has info on buying the digital download. The reviewer was pretty harsh if the meat wasn't properly smoked (the dreaded grey meat), and seemed to do a good job on the review.

Lake Dogs
08-04-2010, 07:52 AM
Thanks!!!!

Chef Jim
08-04-2010, 10:25 AM
Thanks Saiko, I have been collecting info on good joints that I can find on a road trip.

BluesDaddy
08-04-2010, 10:32 AM
Wife and I drove down to Jackson (really just out side of Stark) to eat at the Blind Pig last Saturday. It was pretty good, though I think the ribs were a bit underdone. The stew was fabulous. Our plan is to work our way through the 58 places reviewed in the article as opportunity permits.

joeysmac
08-04-2010, 11:00 AM
I can't believe Hudson's Hickory House in Douglasville didn't make the 58. :shocked: Maybe it's because I grew up in D'ville, but Hudson's has a special place in my stomach and heart.

Gowan
08-04-2010, 11:31 AM
Like any such compiliation, there were as many good places not reviewed as the ones they visited. Good to see any BBQ articles in the press though, regardless.

qnbiker
08-04-2010, 01:24 PM
#2 & #3 are less than 5 miles from my house. We go to BBQ1 for takeout and catering - they don't have much seating. GREAT macaroni and cheese. Swallow at the Hollow is a great place for BBQ and live entertainment. Some pretty famous people play there.

Wampus
08-04-2010, 02:09 PM
Wait........there's good BBQ in Georgia?
:heh::becky::shocked:

Just kiddin.

I rarely, if ever, travel. I've flown (roundtrip) a total of 3 times in my life. Once for my brother's wedding, and twice for my wife. Once to go and see her when she lived in NM (when we were dating) and once on our honeymoon.

Other than that......I've been stuck here in IN (not necessarily known for our great BBQ joints).

BUT.......If ever I plan to travel to GA, I'm lookin you up, Saiko.

Boat-n-BBQ
08-04-2010, 03:33 PM
I read this article yesterday. Glad you posted it for all to see :thumb:

Boat

Big Jim BBQ
08-04-2010, 03:43 PM
If this is supposed to be the best 5 BBQ restaurants in "Georgia" the author needs a geography lesson. Georgia is much larger that the area represented by his 58 visits and their are some excellent BBQ places in areas like Columbus, Valdosta, Savannah, Macon and on and on. Atlantans sometimes tend to think the State ends outside Metro Atlanta.

MattG
08-04-2010, 03:44 PM
We went Swallow at the Hollow once. ONCE. Didnt like it at all.

MattG
08-04-2010, 03:45 PM
No Fat Matt's

qnbiker
08-04-2010, 03:56 PM
If this is supposed to be the best 5 BBQ restaurants in "Georgia" the author needs a geography lesson. Georgia is much larger that the area represented by his 58 visits and their are some excellent BBQ places in areas like Columbus, Valdosta, Savannah, Macon and on and on. Atlantans sometimes tend to think the State ends outside Metro Atlanta.No argument here. I'm a Georgia native and believe me there are lots of good places all over Georgia. Two of the best in Atlanta didn't make the top 5 list.

Saiko
08-04-2010, 04:40 PM
If this is supposed to be the best 5 BBQ restaurants in "Georgia" the author needs a geography lesson. Georgia is much larger that the area represented by his 58 visits and their are some excellent BBQ places in areas like Columbus, Valdosta, Savannah, Macon and on and on. Atlantans sometimes tend to think the State ends outside Metro Atlanta.

This IS Atlanta magazine, so I'm pretty sure his main focus was the Atlanta area, although he did include a few places outside the city. I should probably have renamed the thread "best of the Atlanta area BBQ", although in the article he kind of makes it sound like he's looking at all of Georgia.

Alan in Ga
08-04-2010, 06:43 PM
We got some good places down in Macon and surrounding areas.. Fresh Air out of Jackson..Finchers in Macon(claim to fame bbq went on space shuttle) and a few more.

lilburnjoe
08-04-2010, 09:45 PM
Here are my favorites when I'm not cooking !!

Fresh Air BBQ in Jackson
Where There's Smoke BBQ in Mansfield - Best Brunswick Stew I've eaten.
Community BBQ in Decatur
Old Hickory in Tucker
Bubba-Q in Woodstock

BluesDaddy
08-05-2010, 12:19 PM
We got some good places down in Macon and surrounding areas.. Fresh Air out of Jackson..Finchers in Macon(claim to fame bbq went on space shuttle) and a few more.Fresh Air was on the list - and they ranked its stew as the best. Obviously there are a LOT of places they didn't list, but while it didn't make it in the top five, Fat Matt's was definitely one of the 58 reviewed (see page 55).

MattG
08-05-2010, 02:34 PM
Fat Matt's has some great ribs. My wife and I will be going there next Friday night for our anniversary. (15 yrs) :bow: