View Full Version : Question

07-30-2010, 06:03 PM

I am a Boy Scout troop leader. Our scout camp has an old permanent cooker that needs a new grate. The size is 16 3/4" deep x 24 1/2" wide. I have been told that 304 stainless steel expanded metal grate will work fine. It was described as 3/4 #9 Flat Stainless Steel Expanded Metal.

Can someone help me find a place to buy this that won't cost me an arm and a leg? :wink:

Thanks for your help!


07-30-2010, 06:05 PM
#9 3/4 EXPANDED SS FLATENED IS EXPENSIVE. If you find a cheap place let me know. 5X10 sheet roughly $500

07-30-2010, 06:12 PM
Stainless expando will be expensive, but 16 X 24 is not a huge piece. Ask some local welding shops if they have any "drops" that size. Usually shops will charge off the entire sheet to a job, so it's paid for.... drops are just leftovers that are too big to sell for scrap. As a last resort call a steel center and see what they can do for you.

I would not be afraid to mention that this is a Boy Scout project... the right shop foreman might just tell you to come by and get it.

07-30-2010, 06:17 PM
I would agree with thirdeye. But to add to it if a shop has a couple of pieces that are smaller you could make two racks half the size or even have them welded together.

Mark Stanton
07-30-2010, 09:05 PM
The metal yard in Angleton I use has a 24" x 48" for $100. You can probably find a yard closer to ya. I have just been using regular steel in my pits. It works fine