PDA

View Full Version : UDS out of hot water heater?

Anchors Smokeshop
07-19-2010, 02:44 PM
I'm thinking about replacing my old hot water heater with a new tankless hot water heater.
If I remove all the guts and cut it down in height, do you think this will work as a UDS?
If anyone has done something similar, please give me your advice or send pics.

JiveTurkey
07-19-2010, 03:10 PM
I'm sure it could be done, don't see why not. What are the dimensions on the heater? Any idea how you're going to seal the lid? Good luck with the build.

jimmyinsd
07-19-2010, 03:17 PM
most all water heaters now have a lining of some kind in their tanks. the tanks themselves are really thin so i dont know if you could get a burn out hot enough without detroying the tank. also most use fiberglass insulation...i dont know if you want that crap around your food. you also may find a big mess (scale, sludge, sediment build up) when you cut your tank open. good luck, let us know how it turns out.

Cliff H.
07-19-2010, 03:21 PM
It has been done but as already said....They are glass lined.

Teleking
07-19-2010, 03:21 PM
Generally speaking water heaters are generally glass lined or resin lined to prevent corrosion. Not to mention all of the work needed to get the outer shell and insulation off.

FWIW, I installed a tankless water heater at my house and left the old electric in line for the just in case event. I have needed it once in 9 years due to repairs needed on the tankless version. Wife and kids not happy w/o hot water. Not to mention with all the bypass valves and some strategically placed true union connections, I can take the tankless one with me if I ever sell the house.

YMMV

KSims1868
07-19-2010, 05:23 PM
I wouldn't. 55 gal drums work perfect...I wouldn't mess with the water heater.