PDA

View Full Version : Need help with gravity fed smoker

D Cooper
07-14-2010, 10:18 PM
Just got a DW Kountry Cooker gravity fed smoker. Used it 3 times. It will burn forever on very little charcoal. However it seems to take 1-2 hours to get to 225. I think my wood chunks smolder and heat it up a bit. I use hardwood charcoal and start it in chimney and pour it in. No bridge problems,etc. Just cant get to temp quick enough. it will sit on 225-250 forever 14 hours once it gets to temp. Any blowing air thru intake seems to help however it blows coals into the cooking chamber. surely there is a better way without buying bbq guru. Thanks in advance for tips. I can call the people I bought it from and they will help. They have been great.

gtsum
07-14-2010, 10:38 PM
when I had my stumps I would light it from the bottom...not from the top.....I would be up to temp in about an hour (with no fan assistance)

jeffjenkins1
07-14-2010, 11:01 PM
You are putting the chimney of red hot coals in first then adding charcoal right?

Jeff

Norcoredneck
07-15-2010, 03:34 AM
if you are lighting it correctly, make sure it's level. I heard this makes a difference.

PaPaQ
07-15-2010, 11:50 AM
D Cooper I have a SS-1 that is very similar to the cooker you have. I light mine like gtsum said, pour unlit charcoal in the chute, use a plumberís torch and light it from the bottom. I leave the charcoal chute door open and latch the firebox door so it is open about an inch or so with the ball valve open the way. After about 20 minutes I will latch both doors and leave the ball valve open all the way, then start adjusting the ball when the cooker gets up around 200 degrees, usually takes about an hour or so. To add wood chunks just open the firebox door and put them in the ash pan.

Hope that helps.

RobKC
07-15-2010, 12:15 PM
We pull a rack and set the lit chimney inside the cooker. By the time the coals are ready to dump, the cooker is already about 200.

Norcoredneck
07-15-2010, 12:54 PM
We pull a rack and set the lit chimney inside the cooker. By the time the coals are ready to dump, the cooker is already about 200.

Nice!

D Cooper
07-15-2010, 08:53 PM
thanks guys. I called the guy who sold it to me. He said to leave the door open and use a small fan to get it up to temp. I usually dump the chimney in and add charcoal to the top. I will try lighting it from the bottom with a torch. I also like the idea of putting the chimney in the cooker. Will experiment this weekend. Thanks for info!!!

T.K.
07-16-2010, 08:29 AM
I do what RobKC does and works great.

TRS
07-16-2010, 09:02 AM
All good ideas. I had a Superior and now have a Stump's. Normal time to get to temps I found was about an hour with no fan. Some use a blow dryer on low to help fuel the temps. Regulate your ball valve and use the blow dryer on low to help contol blowing ash.
Just another idea. I do like the lit chimney in the cooker idea though!

Goddahavit
07-16-2010, 09:49 AM

Awesome tip....

also leave the firebox door open and the top of the shute, acts like a big chimney.

Still takes me an hour to get my stretch up to temp, even with a guru.

Bigmista
07-16-2010, 12:04 PM
Does anyone have the platinum series? How does the chute and capacity compare to the stretch?

T.K.
07-18-2010, 07:32 AM
I haven't BigMista but I would like to see one in person. I think they have 2 chutes the same size as the stretch or at least that is what I've heard.

Bigmista
07-18-2010, 09:43 AM
Can't seem to find anyone talking about them on the internet either.

Coz
07-18-2010, 10:50 AM
Can't seem to find anyone talking about them on the internet either.

Have you went to the Stumps forum? I built a clone of a plat 5 model and I am pretty happy with it .I talked with a couple of Plat owners and they have said they were extremly happy with them.

Bigmista
07-18-2010, 10:35 PM
I was trying to find some independent info. I' expect everyone on the Stumps Forum to gush over them.