PDA

View Full Version : Thermapen Question

Chef Jim
07-14-2010, 08:59 PM
I love my RED thermapen and have come to rely on it. But something unusual is going on.

It reads perfect on almost everything except very thick grilled steaks. :crazy:

I have checked it ice water and boiling water and it's within a degree, but I usually pull my steak at 135 for MR.

Three times now, on a tri trip and sirloin that is at least two inches thick it reads about 95-98 in the middle. But if I use mo finger test, the meat feels done. I have taken it off every time and it is perfect. I would have thought it would be almost raw at that internal temp.

Has anyone else noticed this? I know it is not the color cause we all know that red is the best.:clap2:

Boshizzle
07-14-2010, 09:01 PM
You should have gotten an orange one.

Mister Bob
07-14-2010, 09:18 PM
I agree that RED is best. Are you sticking your steak from the top or sliding it in from the side? I use the side method to make sure the tip is in the right place. Also, as fast as the Thermapen is, leave it in for about 10 or 15 seconds to make sure its settled in. If it's reading correctly in ice water and boiling water, you would think it should be working throughout the temperature range, but I've never heard of 95 degree steak described as anything but raw so there must be something wrong with the pen.

Chef Jim
07-14-2010, 09:21 PM
Tried it both ways, but did not leave it in too long, real hot fire!

Captain P.J.
07-14-2010, 09:24 PM
I want a thermapen! But I gotta ask, what is the difference in color?? (sorry if I am hijacking but I see people talking about color all the time)

Mitch
07-14-2010, 09:36 PM
The difference is color. :) pick the one you like.

Chef Jim
07-14-2010, 09:44 PM
It's just that red is better. It's fun, we are strange.

Captain P.J.
07-14-2010, 09:48 PM
Thanks! I can't wait to join in the fun! So far I am leaning towards either red or blue...or maybe orange or yellow...or... :-D

JD McGee
07-14-2010, 10:07 PM
Yep...the red ones are defective...better go for GREEN! :twisted:

Meat Burner
07-14-2010, 10:18 PM
So, did you get any helpful information about your post?

shares
07-14-2010, 10:27 PM
Three times now, on a tri trip and sirloin that is at least two inches thick it reads about 95-98 in the middle. But if I use mo finger test, the meat feels done. I have taken it off every time and it is perfect. I would have thought it would be almost raw at that internal temp.
I like 128-132 for tri-tip and plenty of juicy redness. I have noticed on the two occasions that I did some "extra prep" on the tri-tip that I had great difficulty getting it into that temp range, and when I did, there was no redness left at all. They looked ready in the 120 range, but foolishly I forged ahead to 130. Can I ask how you prepped the tri-tip?

And lesson for me, no matter what, instinct over instruments.

Professor
07-14-2010, 10:31 PM
What a dilemma - I just order the RED one this week.

Chef Jim
07-14-2010, 10:39 PM
Meat Burner, yes I did get sort of an answer just before the color thing got out of hand.

Shares, I used my secret rub. If I tell you that it's S&P, I will have to kill you. Oh Chit man. now you're all dead.

Professor, You got to believe, trust me, red is the only way to go.