PDA

View Full Version : $100 butts!

Heath
07-25-2004, 11:44 PM
Wonderful weekend, hot as hell. I'll post tomorrow about the butts and the successfull Q.

Heath
07-26-2004, 11:11 PM
Here's the story.

Neighbor has a band, Rock and Roll variety. They decided to have a party and they wanted to BBQ. Peter (neighbor) asked us over for the party, of course we would come. And then he asks if I would like to cook something in the smoker.

But of course!

All week long he's tellin me it's some big piece of pork, but he doesn't know what it is. One of the band members ordered it. I offer to fork up 6 slabs of baby backs out of the freezer. Someone else was bringing salmon. And I also volunteered some meat popsicles.

Well Friday about 5 O'clock, FedEx showed up at Peter's door. They brought us two of these:

http://tinyurl.com/5gsuy

Notice the price. I figure two with Fedex is about $100. One of the other band members was going to come help Peter cook the butts till he found out I was doing the cooking. He's the guy I talked to last year and wanted to start a Q joint with me.

Makes a man feel good that someone trusts them to Q right!

Anyway's, if any of you have been looking at the weather you would notice we have been having a heat wave here in the NW. Saturday was a record setting day here with temps up near 100. I get up at 7, put my dry rub on the butts, and got them going with 3 fatties for breakfast. One fatty for us, one for the neighbors, and one for the party. Neighbor said theirs lasted less than 5 minutes. His wife was asleep, so she didn't get any. BB's go on at 10:00. Meat popsicles I did in Jamaican Jerk, Ancho Chili Rub, and regular. The salmon went on with the dogs and I washed it with something the neighbors wife made. It's awsome, and she's getting me the recipe, I'll share it when I get it.

I sweated my ass off. I started the day with 2 cups of coffee, switched to soda's, I had 4, 4 Mike's Hard Lemonade's, 6 16oz bottles of water, and 8 Pacifico's later I finally took a leak at about 9PM. Did I say it was hot? Everyone wanted to see the meat, of course. The slight wind we had was perfect, as soon as the guests walked into the back yard they smelled the Q. Luckily I had planned on all these interuptions. The meat popsicles get done about 3 and we served them as appetizers. They went in 5 minutes. The ancho chili rub was the best but I don't have a recipe, it came from a farmers market here. The ribs finished up at about 3:30, and I foiled them and coolered them. Thanks Brothers for the cooler trick. I did them all in smoke, I choose not to foil and cook them for the 5. Anyways, salmon gets done, dogs are done, and everyone wants to eat. I pulled the first butt off at about 180. It was before I wanted to but that's the way it goes. I grabbed the ribs out of the cooler and left the cooler open and everyone on the deck stated sniffing and wanted to know what smelled so good. They did smell awesome after setting in that cooler.

I sliced the ribs and sent them out while I pulled the butt. They are expensive but that was one sweet butt! I pulled it in about 10 minutes and when I went out side the ribs were already gone. Everyone wanted more. The butt went fast. I grabbed the other one off at 190 and it was heaven. It went just as fast.

The ribs had to be some of the best I've made. Everyone leaving said it was the best Q they've eatin in the Seattle area. Of course they hav'nt tried Jim's Q yet! Or maybe that would be the best Q in Federal Way! Anyhoo, Jack, the guy who want's to start a Q joint, comes over and tells me we need to figure out how to get me a mobile pit. Now he wants to start a rock and roll BarBQue show. The wife is starting to think MAYBE I could have a pit with wheels now! WooHoo! So Jack thinks we could make money by them playing and me Q'n up some good grub for the show.

Don't know if I'm ready to go there yet but I was proud of the good grub I made here. Wish yall could have been here!

And the story on the butts. If you are looking for some really good butts for competition and price doesn't matter I would try them out before the competition to see if you really want to use them. They were the best I've ever cooked and I didn't do anything but put dry rub on them. Cooked on alder and maple with a little bit of cherry thrown in. Kept temps near 230 and didn't go over 260, temps were easy to keep considering it was already 100 out.

jminion
07-26-2004, 11:36 PM
Damn I was back in town in time for the Q!

We are bring in Chris Lily and DrBBQ to teach a class in Seattle are you interested?

BigAl
07-28-2004, 11:52 AM
Great going, Heath.

parrothead
07-28-2004, 11:58 AM
Butts aren't worth that much until the brethren get ahold of them and work their magic.

Nice story.

Bigmista
07-28-2004, 12:46 PM
If I pay $43 for a butt their better be some tits with it!!

Great job Heath! Keep up the good work!

Bill-Chicago
07-28-2004, 12:49 PM

Mista, you better be talking about chicken or turkey boobs, otherwise that is a blatant attempt to hijack and you will be reported in our new Orwellian society.

racer_81
07-28-2004, 12:52 PM

Mista, you better be talking about chicken or turkey boobs, otherwise that is a blatant attempt to hijack and you will be reported in our new Orwellian society.

Tits? I tell you what, one time I was......

<sound of marching boots getting increasingly louder...>

Yes, Mista, I agree. For that price chicken and/or turkey boobs should be included.

<sound of marching boots slowly diminishing.....>

whew!

Heath
07-28-2004, 11:07 PM
We are bring in Chris Lily and DrBBQ to teach a class in Seattle are you interested?

Sure, when and how much?

icemn62
07-28-2004, 11:16 PM
Now that sounds like a great time. Hanging with friends, cooking GREAT Q. I know you enjoyed yourself.

jminion
07-28-2004, 11:23 PM
Heath
I believe $125 on Aug 21st

Neil
07-29-2004, 03:14 AM
It doesn't get any better than that. It's such a beautiful thing to witness and be a part of when friends get together and go gaga over Q you prepared.