PDA

View Full Version : I'm sure this has been covered and I have missed it...but....pellets

DuckGoMoo102
07-13-2010, 08:48 PM
I live in Arizona, and I have learned that the west side of the country seems to have a problem with finding quality pellets. I am looking into Cookin Pellets as well as the BBQrs Delight pellets. I was hoping someone with experience in both could give me some tips. (covering taste, burn efficiency, price, and size). Maybe someone out there even has more suggestions for me. Thanks in advance

bandityo
07-13-2010, 09:22 PM
I personally am using Summerset Oak Hardwood heating pellets for mine...40 pounds for $6. They are proven safe for cooking even though they arent designed for it. I do mix them with some hickory from bbq delights as well to give me a hickory/oak combo.

Just put two butts on my pellet pooper for a 12-14 hours jaunt overnight and am mainly using the oak on this cook.

David

Ron_L
07-13-2010, 09:44 PM
I have used both BBQ'ers Delight and cookingpellets.com and they are both good. I like the cookingpellets Perfect Blend, but they seem to be out of stock a lot. I'm currently using BBQer's Delight and I am very happy with the quality, heat output, ash level, smell and taste.

Smokinrubcom
07-13-2010, 09:53 PM
BBQrs delight is the only pellets I use.

Mike

Sbprobasco
07-13-2010, 10:16 PM
I purchased a bunch of the BBQrs delight pellets from http://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/. They are in the brethren sales and ventures section. The price was right and shipping was fast.

The smoke flavor was much better with BBQrs delight pellets than the traeger pellets that I used to buy and they were close to the same price.

Rookie'48
07-14-2010, 12:48 AM
I've only used the Traeger and BBQer's Delight brands so far. The Treager pellets seem to break down (crumble) easily - BBQer's Delight is a better product IMHO. YMMV ;>)

SmokinOkie
07-14-2010, 10:25 AM
I use Fast Eddy/Cookshack pellets they're now selling, they're a 70/30 blend which, I believe is the same as Candy Sue's.

Just look into what makeup/percentage.

The Traeger pellets are FUBAR because they use alder and their "flavor" isn't really flavor, it's an oil they use for flavor I believe.

Candy Sue's are good stuff. The challenge is always the shipping.

Check on whatever brand, ask for their percentage (base wood to flavor)
Ask about shipping.

Also, drop a note in here and other forums and ask for people to go in together to buy a pallet. It's a great way to get a price break and share the cost of shipping.

Russ

Geaux Tigers
07-14-2010, 01:25 PM
BBQers delight, contact Candy at 877-275-9591

DuckGoMoo102
07-18-2010, 08:52 PM
Hey guys, sorry for the late response but thanks for all the replies!

FretBender
07-19-2010, 03:35 PM
The Cookinpellets.com pellets are the best I've tasted, and they may still have some of their 100% hickory left which is Super! Their Perfect Mix is just that, a mix or hickory, apple, cherry and hard maple. Much better than any of the other who have a small amount of flavor wood and then 70-80% oak or alder to make up the rest. I never use heating pellets, unless they are food grade they are not proven safe for cooking.

BBQ Grail
07-19-2010, 03:53 PM
I really like Bear Mountain Pellets.

BBQ Grail
07-19-2010, 03:55 PM
I personally am using Summerset Oak Hardwood heating pellets for mine...40 pounds for $6. They are proven safe for cooking even though they arent designed for it. I do mix them with some hickory from bbq delights as well to give me a hickory/oak combo.

You got a source for this statement. I'm not saying you're wrong but I sure would like to see who "proved" they were safe because at that price it would be good to use.

WineMaster
07-19-2010, 04:05 PM
Call the people at Sommerset Larry. I have heard lots of hearsay about Sommerset and also Ozark Hardwood Products that they use veg oil as a lubricator and nothing but oak with no bark or softwoods. It would be nice if someone would put an end to the myth.

Dan

BBQ Grail
07-19-2010, 04:11 PM
Call the people at Sommerset Larry. I have heard lots of hearsay about Sommerset and also Ozark Hardwood Products that they use veg oil as a lubricator and nothing but oak with no bark or softwoods. It would be nice if someone would put an end to the myth.

Dan

I'll do it! Might make a good blog post.

WineMaster
07-19-2010, 04:19 PM
Let us know. Your a good man!

WineMaster
07-19-2010, 04:25 PM
Here is the problem I see though. Most Heating pellets like Sommerset come from the sawdust in a Hardwood floor factory and the make pellets to increase profits instead of wasting the sawdust. My thoughts are that the Housing Market, as slow as it is, must have a impact on how much raw material they are now creating vs how much they were when the market was thriving. Wont this affect availability???

River City Smokehouse
07-19-2010, 05:49 PM
Just to make sure it is known, OHP doesn't make flooring. They make oak pallets. I, along with many competitors and restaurants use the OHP brand in thier pits. You can use what you want, and if you want to spend your money on the higher priced stuff, then go for it. No oil in the product. I've never ever had any moisture or oily residue in a bag. If there was oil, it would smoke more. I can bake a cake in my cookers and never taste smoke.

BBQ Grail
07-19-2010, 09:41 PM
According to Leslie Wheeler at the Hearth, Patio and BBQ Association there is nothing wrong with using "heating" pellets in your smoker.

More to come...

Rookie'48
07-19-2010, 10:24 PM
I can bake a cake in my cookers and never taste smoke.

But are you getting enough smoke flavor when you cook at lower temps like 225* to 300* ?

River City Smokehouse
07-20-2010, 06:14 AM
But are you getting enough smoke flavor when you cook at lower temps like 225* to 300* ?
It is diffficult to get enough smoke penetration with a pellet cooker unless of course you know how to use one correctly. Many call it a "Easy Bake Oven", and it is easy to set the temp and walk away. But, it takes a little know how to get these things to produce great BBQ. Any BBQ pit is easy to over smoke with.....a pellet cooker is easy to under smoke with. Just because one might own one doesn't mean they're gonna make championship "Q". Plus everybody knows it's a sauce contest anyways.:doh:

WineMaster
07-20-2010, 12:20 PM

With pellet cookers, yes, the lower the temp, the more smoke you get.

FretBender
07-20-2010, 03:18 PM
I've also found that they type of pellet makes a very huge difference in the smoke flavor. I've been using 100% hickory pellets from Cookinpellets.com and they are, by far, better than any pellet I've ever used. (Never used 100% hickory before and there are 1 or two other sources for it) If you're using the OHP pellets that are 100% oak, they won't be much different that the BBQ Delight, Traeger, etc. pellets that are usually 70-80% oak anyways, and in Traegers case may be alder rather than oak, which gives less smokey flavor than oak.