PDA

View Full Version : Line a BBQ with Ceramic Tile?

Wesman61
07-11-2010, 04:05 PM
Good idea or bad? I want to keep the wood off the metal of my Santa Maria. I could also build a grate but I have some tile left over from tiling my Parents shower. I saved a few squares for repair work but these are extra that have mortar or are chipped etc.

swamprb
07-11-2010, 04:19 PM
Do your homework!

Then don't make it onto this forum!!

http://www.kamadofraudforum.org/viewforum.php?f=19

Wesman61
07-11-2010, 05:28 PM
I'm just concerned about the layer of paint or whatever it is on the tile. Would it burn off and affect the food? I may just make a grate out of stainless steel.

seattlepitboss
07-11-2010, 05:53 PM
Ceramic tiles are fired at very high temperatures, something like 1800 degrees F. If you want to lie the tiles flat on a horizontal surface and then put your grill legs on the tiles, sure, go ahead. Even if you ground up the fired-on color it won't magically turn into poisonous gas.

But if you are considering actually grouting the tiles to vertical sides, then you have gruesome issues with thermal expansion differing between the tiles and the metal. I *think* that's what swamprb was referring to vis-a-vis the Kamado horror stories. (Although there the substrate was basically concrete and the tiles were on the outside ..)

seattlepitboss

jestridge
07-11-2010, 06:01 PM
Use firebrick ,some tiles have lead in them.

Wesman61
07-11-2010, 08:00 PM
I was just going to lay them on the bottom. I'm going to look around for some expanded metal. My Son is going to use it to BBQ for a wedding this next Sat so I need to figure something out.