PDA

View Full Version : Adding Wood Chips during a long indirect cook on a big green egg

mcmiller74
07-02-2010, 01:31 PM
Does anybody have any tips to adding wood chips to a big green egg when using the indirect offset? I find trying to get them in from the side they don't get on to the hot part of the fire in the center.

Stoke&Smoke
07-02-2010, 01:40 PM
Easiest way I've found is to mix them in with the lump, adding a layer of lump, scatter some chips, more lump, more chips, etc. when you load the egg.

gnwes
07-02-2010, 01:42 PM
will long metal tongs not work?

MilitantSquatter
07-02-2010, 01:45 PM
Easiest way I've found is to mix them in with the lump, adding a layer of lump, scatter some chips, more lump, more chips, etc. when you load the egg.

agreed... or move very quickly to remove grate & plate setter to add onto the lit coals if more is needs.

Stoke&Smoke
07-02-2010, 01:55 PM
will long metal tongs not work?

Not if you're using a plate setter for indirect cooking, unless you remove the (hot)meat, the (hot) grate, and the (hot) plate setter

swibirun
07-02-2010, 02:25 PM
Initial set up really helps as others noted. I get chunks planted near the bottom of the coal and chips mixed in toward the top.

If I do need to add chips during the cook, I drop them down through the three gaps in the plate setter and then using my wiggle rod (metal skewer with a bent tip to clear the fire grate holes between cooks), I just flick them towards the lit coals. It's kind of like a foosball action, remember that game?

Hope that makes sense.

LT72884
07-02-2010, 03:30 PM
agreed... or move very quickly to remove grate & plate setter to add onto the lit coals if more is needs.

Doesnt adding the chips directly to the hot coals cause nasty white smoke and not TBS?

Thanx

MilitantSquatter
07-02-2010, 07:11 PM
Doesnt adding the chips directly to the hot coals cause nasty white smoke and not TBS?

Thanx

agreed.. not ideal.

Brewmaster
07-02-2010, 08:03 PM
Just use liquid smoke. :shocked:

CaptainJimmy
07-02-2010, 09:04 PM
ill either mix them in the coals a few minutes before cooking by lifting the platesetter, or i use chunks...

i prefer chunks, they burn cleaner and longer...

SmokeJumper
07-02-2010, 10:42 PM
Everyone here (almost) has great tips. You are very right that getting chips past the grate and platesetter is pretty hard - quick removal works best.When using the platesetter I prefer to strategically place chunks from the outset so that I get good smoke through the critical first few hours of a low and slow cook.

I also often use the versatile adjustable rig with oval grates from ceramicstore.com with a 13" round or 12"x17" oval stone on the lower rack for offset. With this setup I can still pretty easily drop chunks down into the coals if necessary while cooking.

LT72884
07-03-2010, 08:18 PM
I have read in some bbq books that if you place the chunks on the edge of the fire, rather than in the fire, you get a cleaner and more efficient smoke. i kinda agree. Though i have not tried it yet so thats mondays cook. the 4th is sloppy joes since i have to work. *sigh*