PDA

View Full Version : Wanted Gyro type fatty

pahutchens
06-28-2010, 01:35 PM
Anyone have recipes?
I really enjoy Mideastern cuisine and was thinking of something along the lines of a gyro fatty made with lamb etc...

Suggestions?

deguerre
06-28-2010, 01:39 PM
How about a tzatziki filled lamb sausage, but mix in some cream cheese and feta to firm it up a bit?
Oh, and definitely add mint to the rub you develope.

Ashmont
06-28-2010, 01:39 PM
Anyone have recipes?
I really enjoy Mideastern cuisine and was thinking of something along the lines of a gyro fatty made with lamb etc...

Suggestions?

When is it done? I am on my way!

FattyMac
06-28-2010, 01:59 PM
I've done the Alton Brown Gyro recipe on my gasser's rotisserie before. It turned out very good.

The recipe can be found HERE (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/gyro-meat-with-tzatziki-sauce-recipe/index.html)

I like the idea of using tzatziki as a filling. Maybe some olives and feta? or maybe some haloumi (a cheese used for grilling) or labneth (strained yoghurt, like tzatziki but without any of the other stuff)

Good luck and I look forward to some Pr0n!

landarc
06-28-2010, 02:02 PM
Aren't most gyros in the US made with sausage? Aren't they essentially super large fatties already? I will tell you one of the best street snacks I ever had was a lamb and pork sausage patty with oregano, mint, rosemary in the mix. There was also garlic.

I would think a meat mix like that, then rolled in dried herbs such as Todd's Dirt or similar. I don't think it needs to be filled, but, a dolmades filling is intriguing as an idea. A sticky rice filling maybe, add some fruit like raisins in, some pine nuts maybe...

deguerre
06-28-2010, 02:05 PM
Aren't most gyros in the US made with sausage? Aren't they essentially super large fatties already? I will tell you one of the best street snacks I ever had was a lamb and pork sausage patty with oregano, mint, rosemary in the mix. There was also garlic.

I would think a meat mix like that, then rolled in dried herbs such as Todd's Dirt or similar. I don't think it needs to be filled, but, a dolmades filling is intriguing as an idea. A sticky rice filling maybe, add some fruit like raisins in, some pine nuts maybe...
Dates and figs would be good.

Phubar
06-28-2010, 02:20 PM
Mix of:gyros,tzatziki,feta,paprika,red onion and olive as a stuffing?

bigabyte
06-28-2010, 02:49 PM
I did a lamb gyro meatloaf (pretty much the same as a fatty). It made great gyros.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=471451&postcount=1

pahutchens
06-28-2010, 02:54 PM
Oh yeah these are going to get on that drum real soon

Woodmonkey
06-28-2010, 02:58 PM
These are EGGcellent.

Gyro, Penfresh
INGREDIENTS:
1 Lb Ground Beef
1 Lb Ground Lamb
3 Cloves Fresh Garlic, minced.
1/2 Cup finely minced Sweet Onion
1/2 Tsp Dried Thyme
1 Tsp Dried Oregano Salt and Pepper to taste

Greek Tzatziki Sauce
1 8 Ozs Pkg Greek Yogurt
1 Medium Cucumber-peeled, seeded and chopped finely
3 Cloves Garlic, minced finely
2 Scallions, minced
1 1/2 Tsp Salt
1 1/4 Tsp Pepper
1 !/2 Tsp fresh Dill Weed

Preparation :
1Mix all ingredients thoroughly, form into loaf and cook, indirect, at 350°F. for about 60 minutes or until internal temp reaches 165°F.

2Slice the meat thinly and serve it on pita bread with *Greek Tzatziki Sauce and chopped tomato.

Greek Tzatziki Sauce
1If you can't get Greek yogurt get plain yogurt and strain through cheese cloth overnight. Drain cucumber by putting it in a colander adding a plate and putting a brick on the plate to squeeze excess liquid out of the cuke.

2Mix all ingredients and place in the fridge overnight to mellow the flavors. Recipe TypeMain Dish, Meat, Sandwich Recipe
Author: Penny Freshwater
Source: BGE Florida Eggfest '08, Penfresh

Big_T_BBQ
06-28-2010, 03:00 PM
On Tuesday or Wednesday I did a 2 lb fatty with ground lamb - stuffed it with Mozzarella and Parm, diced green onions, and a little cilantro. I worked in salt, pepper, and garlic powder before rolling and finally, smoked with hickory.

It tasted like really good summer sausage - kinda strange but it was good.

gotwood
06-28-2010, 03:20 PM
ground beef, ground lamb , some greek seasoning and cumin......roll it!! smoke it!! sauce it!!!