PDA

View Full Version : What are you cooking for the 4th?

Arkantex
06-28-2010, 01:26 PM
The title says it all... What do you guys plan on que'ing up for the 4th? I think I am going to go with some ribs and stuffed jalapenos... Not to sure yet.

chicagochris
06-28-2010, 01:30 PM
Picked up a nice ribeye roast to make for some friends on either Sat or Sun.

Plan on some ribs for one of the other days. Most likely Monday.

MRI_Guy
06-28-2010, 03:25 PM
After reading a thread that was posted in the Woodpile - I think that I will make pressed tofu burgers cooked over an electric grill.

Ron_L
06-28-2010, 03:30 PM
After reading a thread that was posted in the Woodpile - I think that I will make pressed tofu burgers cooked over an electric grill.

I hope that they get a better reception than the veggie MOINK balls! :crazy: :boxing: :becky:

I'm thinking about trying out a new rib recipe one of the days, and I'll probably grill some steaks on another. Right now the forecast for Monday is storms, so that may be a good day to go out for dinner :thumb:

1FUNVET
06-28-2010, 03:34 PM

Don't forget the liquid smoke for flavor.

Arkantex
06-28-2010, 03:35 PM
I just found a recipe for a Barqs Rootbeer BBQ Sauce in another thread that I am going to have a go at with the ribs.

Ashmont
06-28-2010, 03:36 PM

Dont forget the lighter fluid on the electric grill. :shock:

Back on topic really dont know yet. Will be at the pool so I will be cooking something including myself.

rw02kr43
06-28-2010, 04:09 PM
just some sweet corn and a rack of babybacks I think. Going to try to teach my dad how to smoke some ribs. I got him a char griller last summer and taking the smoker box over there this weekend. Hope it goes well.

Jason

BluesDaddy
06-28-2010, 04:13 PM
Just pulled a Pork Butt out of the freezer to do. Will also do a beef chuck roast. I'll do ribs as well if I find some at a decent price. Thinking of doing Dr. Sam Talmidge's Brunswick Stew recipe (with a little modification) as well. Been a while since I've had some good Brunswick stew. Naturally cole slaw and corn on the cobb will be on the menu.

EatonHoggBBQ
06-28-2010, 04:22 PM
Going to do a couple racks of Dino bones and some ABT's to go with my beer.

fsmith
06-28-2010, 04:57 PM
Ribs, it's what's for the 4th.

Pretty much my staple meal on the 4th of July. I've created a monster by sharing them once now everyone expects them.

I may do a brisket too since it's a long weekend.

jswordy
06-28-2010, 05:14 PM
Six 2-inch choice ribeyes, baked potatoes, corn on the cob, homemade cole slaw, beans, summer squash and some stuff we don't know even about yet. I ain't cooking it, either. I told my neighbor I'd supply the steaks if he did the cooking! My job: Drink beer!

AlabamaGrillBillies
06-28-2010, 06:04 PM
Looks like I'll be doing Ribs, pulled chicken and baked beans for the family. Other members are bringing potato salad, grilled corn and some deserts.

NBBD
06-28-2010, 06:10 PM
we are not sure what to have yet. We had a big family BBQ this past weekend where we smoked a bunch of shoulders for pulled pork (served with dogs and brats for those who wanted/latenight snacks, homemade- slaw, potato salad, stuffed shells, pasta salad, apps and cheesecake and brownies for dessert... we took two days off from work to clean house and prep)

but..My buddy and I just split another pig so Maybe we will do the ribs and have a few friends come over for a BYOB get together (Not sure if the wife will give the OK to have another big party though!

Ron_L
06-28-2010, 06:12 PM
Six 2-inch choice ribeyes, baked potatoes, corn on the cob, homemade cole slaw, beans, summer squash and some stuff we don't know even about yet. I ain't cooking it, either. I told my neighbor I'd supply the steaks if he did the cooking! My job: Drink beer!

That sounds like a good idea, except I don't have a neighbor that I would trust with a nice steak :rolleyes: :becky:

Smokin' D
06-28-2010, 06:15 PM
I just found a recipe for a Barqs Rootbeer BBQ Sauce in another thread that I am going to have a go at with the ribs.

If it's the same Root Beer sauce I use, it is a real crowd pleaser. The rub and spray that are it's companions make for some tasty, tangy ribs. Good luckl

MRI_Guy
06-28-2010, 06:27 PM
I wonder if I can read the entire UDS thread AND have a UDS ready to cook with by the 4th.........

Received the OK from the boss to build one. Gotta strike while the iron is hot and before she changes her mind.

ZILLA
06-28-2010, 06:35 PM
I'm doing a one day rib cook on the 3rd so I'll probably go to Chuy's for the Elvis Memorial Enchilada Platter instead of cooking. Then watch the fireworks at Randolph AFB while eating a bomb stick or two with the fam....

NBBD
06-28-2010, 06:37 PM
I wonder if I can read the entire UDS thread AND have a UDS ready to cook with by the 4th.........

Received the OK from the boss to build one. Gotta strike while the iron is hot and before she changes her mind.

Make the move ASAP! they always seem to change there mind at some point...

zydecopaws
06-28-2010, 06:38 PM
Pulled pork and pulled chicken for at least 45. Might be more...

woodwardbbq
06-28-2010, 07:47 PM
Rib's, All that my chubby can handle. Set the guru and jump in the pool. My kind of 4th of July.

hammerz_nailz
06-28-2010, 08:06 PM
July 4th means hot dogs.

cbagby64
06-28-2010, 08:21 PM
Got a chuckie and some spares, going to be 3 days of beer, bbq, and relaxation.

billfish73
06-28-2010, 08:32 PM
boston butt for some pulled pork and baby backs, with a side of cole slaw, corn on the cob and smoked apple cake for dessert......mmmmmmmmmhmmmmmm:-D

brewski
06-28-2010, 08:41 PM
First I gotta say that this is a great site and I am really enjoying the reading!
I am doing 12 racks of ribs, 10 butts, 2 briskets and a few sticks of bologna. Add the slaw, beans and homemade ice cream and my bunch should be happy! Can't wait. I'll start burning the hickory to build my coal bed Friday evening with the meat on soon after and finish around noon on Saturday.

1_T_Scot
06-28-2010, 09:06 PM
Brisket might do some Moinks with it. There will be homemade tater salad also.

Kevin
06-28-2010, 09:15 PM
Cochinita Pibil. I've made faux Cochinita pibil a few times using aluminum foil and we really like the flavor. Finally found some banana (actually Plantain) leaves at a local Mexican grocer. They have the Seville oranges too. I am hyped.

It will be the annual family gathering at my brother's place. This really is a big deal. Nieces and nephews from all over the country show up.

Meat Burner
06-28-2010, 09:16 PM
No telling what all we will cook this weekend. Some ribs to try a new technique, steaks in there somewhere definately. Have done tamales a few times now and several friends have been asking about them. I have several pounds of pulled pork from our comp this past weekend so it may be tamales one day as well. Whatever, it will be fun!!!!!!!!! Hope everyone has a great time and please remember our troops. Be safe brothers and sister!

mmmmeat
06-29-2010, 12:41 AM
well it's my birthday (on the 4th duh) and im cookin what looks to be 20# of pork butt, a 15 or so pound briskey, MOINKs, and hotdogs and hamburgers for the goofy ones, and thanks to a generous bro here i will have a nice selection of BBQ sauces to accompany everything!!!

bbq lover
06-29-2010, 01:40 AM
we have a bbq comp.. so 2 briskets 2 butts 24 thighs and 3 racks are spares and we are doing peoples choice so some tri-tip and sausage and abbys and what ever else we can find to cook should be a blast anybody out there near or around stockton ca. webers point come out to way out west bbq comp .. :clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Twisted Martini
06-29-2010, 08:22 AM
I haven't done jack on my Egg yet due to committments, so I am going to push it this weekend. Shoulder, brisket, Moink balls, corn on the cob, fatties, kielbasa, cole slaw, gazpacho, and whatever else I can think of. Ooh Rah!

blues_n_cues
06-29-2010, 08:29 AM
depending on the crowd..
ribs
butts
brisket
abts
moinks
fatties

Smokin' D
06-29-2010, 09:05 AM
An Angus Packer Brisket, a whole bone-in pork loin on the EZ-Cue rotisserie, Road Side Chicken thighs and probably some ABT's. Too much food but that's how we roll around here!

May the Fourth be with You!

Matt N.
06-29-2010, 09:15 AM
I'll be cooking my first whole pig in the La Caja China. Wish me luck.

fweck
06-29-2010, 09:25 AM
Brother is home on leave, he and his family will be visting. Making 4 racks of spares, pork butt, MOINK balls, ABT's, hot dogs for the little kids, haven't decided on the sides yet.

samann
06-29-2010, 09:37 AM
I was just getting on the computer to ask the same question...For me, 2 briskets, 2 butts, 6 racks of st louis ribs on the big vertical :-D

Garyclaw
06-29-2010, 10:31 AM
Karens' Dad(:loco:) is coming up from North Carolina and her sisters and all their families will be here too. Think about 30 in all. Going to do about 20 lbs. of butt (UDS), 30 skinless lemon-pepper thighs(grill), corned beef(BIL), MOINKS(UDS), others will bring coleslaw, baked beans, corn on the cob(I'll probably end up doing but that's ok) and sweet tater caserole(SIL). By Mon. I think a couple nice relaxing 2" ribeyes are in order.:grin:

BBQ_MAFIA
06-29-2010, 01:35 PM
We are going to a friends house for the day. I asked if we could bring something and she asked for some Pulled Pork. As I am the Capt. of Over Kill, I will have some add ons. I'm not sure what it will be, but I know I'm going to have a good time cooking it.

Arkantex
06-29-2010, 03:41 PM
If it's the same Root Beer sauce I use, it is a real crowd pleaser. The rub and spray that are it's companions make for some tasty, tangy ribs. Good luckl

Smokin' D whats this rub and spray you speak of? Sounds interresting...

Well after talking with the wife, the plan has gone from ribs and stuffed jalaps to: ribs, a few whole chickens, a butt, stuffed jalaps, and who knows what else! Should be tons of fun.

Divemaster
06-29-2010, 04:27 PM
We are going to a friends house for the day. I asked if we could bring something and she asked for some Pulled Pork. As I am the Capt. of Over Kill, I will have some add ons. I'm not sure what it will be, but I know I'm going to have a good time cooking it.
Careful Guido, that's how I started...

This weekend I figure we'll do 4 maybe 5 slabs of dino bones on Saturday and then I'll do my 2nd annual 100# hog starting around midnight for Sunday...

wannchef
06-29-2010, 07:32 PM
I'll be making both carne asada and pollo asado al carbon to use on tostadas for 20. I'll also make refried beans, rice, guacamole and salsa for dessert Pastel de Cuatro Leches (four milk cake). Oh yeah and lots of margaritas.

wannchef
06-29-2010, 07:34 PM
Good Luck Matt

bonehead
06-29-2010, 07:47 PM
It's my birthday this weekend so I'm treating myself. A 1 1/3 pound porterhouse that I'm currently dry aging. The wife is picking out the sides and she gets a wifey sized ribeye. All digested with a nice bourbon (haven't picked it yet) and my favorite cigar, a Ghurka Shaggy Natural.

Jeff S.
06-29-2010, 07:48 PM
starting this 4th cook on the 1st with ribs, 2nd is brisket, 3rd doing some chickens, 4th couple of butts, work 5th and 6th, going to do a chuckie in the mountains on the 7th.

atvottawa
06-29-2010, 07:53 PM
Well its not july 4th for us up here, but on the first I will be doing boneless skinless bacon wrapped chicken thighs with homemade rub as well as a greek style yougurt marinade on bone in skin on chicken thigh. Will also be doing bbq baked beans that I demo'd last weekend (to make sure it was suitable for guests) potatoe salad, homemade gauc., nacho dip, dipping sauces and maple leaf shaped JELLO!! <-- Canada day, eh!!!!!

Sizzlepig
06-29-2010, 10:06 PM
This.
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/7584/1000184n.jpg
By sizzlepig (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/sizzlepig) at 2010-01-10
Low and Slow.

wickedbbq'r
06-30-2010, 06:48 AM
Going to cook a whole pig and one brisket. Have a great 4th everyone!

Sean "Puffy" Coals
06-30-2010, 07:11 AM
I wish I knew. I have a couple of options- lots of pork loins, spares and baby backs available, but we haven't decided where we're going yet and no one has asked me to cook... might do something just for myself.

Smokin Turkey
06-30-2010, 07:45 AM
My pit will be done for the weekend so I'm doing the family reunion. 5 - Bone in butts, 30 pieces of chicken low and slow with a high heat finish, and maybe some PIGGLES, Bacon onion blossoms, and a brisket laying around here.

Divemaster
06-30-2010, 09:44 AM
Well its not july 4th for us up here, but on the first I will be doing boneless skinless bacon wrapped chicken thighs with homemade rub as well as a greek style yougurt marinade on bone in skin on chicken thigh. Will also be doing bbq baked beans that I demo'd last weekend (to make sure it was suitable for guests) potatoe salad, homemade gauc., nacho dip, dipping sauces and maple leaf shaped JELLO!! <-- Canada day, eh!!!!!
Why, do you guys just go right from the 3rd to the 5th? Do you have to add the 32nd of December to make it up?

(Sorry, couldn't resist...)

Stoke&Smoke
06-30-2010, 09:52 AM
Cochinita Pibil. I've made faux Cochinita pibil a few times using aluminum foil and we really like the flavor. Finally found some banana (actually Plantain) leaves at a local Mexican grocer. They have the Seville oranges too. I am hyped.

It will be the annual family gathering at my brother's place. This really is a big deal. Nieces and nephews from all over the country show up.

Got a recipe you wouldn't mind sharing for that Kevin?

We're helping out at our village picnic most of the day, grilling up and packaging a couple of thousand hot dogs and brats. Village does a big picnic in a local park, live band, stuff for little kids...buck fifty bears and dogs are like 75 cents, brats 1.25. Usually pretty packed all day.

Doubt I'll be very hungry for more after that!

Lake Dogs
06-30-2010, 10:06 AM
Have about 50 guests coming over (to the lake). Making 6 butts, 4 chuckies, and 1
large pork tenderloin. BBQ, floatin', drankin', perhaps a little water skiing & tubing.
Then, after dark, a 10 mile boat ride to see the fireworks show. Over water, it's
amazing. Plus, a few hundred boats with all the red and green lights over the water,
it's pretty magical.

Doesn't suck.

Y'all have a great 4th!!!!

Ribbin' Randy
06-30-2010, 10:12 AM
Not sure yet. I've done a lot in the past month. I'll be following this thread for something different!

jessed
06-30-2010, 10:17 AM
The title says it all... What do you guys plan on que'ing up for the 4th? I think I am going to go with some ribs and stuffed jalapenos... Not to sure yet.

Back ribs from the smoker and home made potato salad on friday.plenty of left overs for the weekend.

wlh3
06-30-2010, 10:57 AM
The fourth means hamburgers and hot dogs to me. Last year did hot dogs, so this year its burgers on the grill, potato chips and either potato salad or macaroni salad :cool:

ps and beer:clap2:

WineMaster
06-30-2010, 11:16 AM
Ribs,

So far we got

Baby Backs, Country Style, Bear Ribs and Spare Ribs

CajunSmoker
06-30-2010, 01:15 PM
Frying catfish, shrimp and frog legs. May throw some wings or hot dogs on the Weber too, but mainly everybody is ready for a fish fry:thumb:

grillzilla10
06-30-2010, 04:11 PM
I'm feelin some love for the ribs:becky:

sizzlinbonesfan
06-30-2010, 04:26 PM
After reading this... NOTHING... coming to one of ya'lls house!! lol :-D

Happy BBQ'n
Alissa
Okie from Muskogee

motoeric
06-30-2010, 04:34 PM
I'm not doing any BBQ. I'll be grilling instead.

I'll be doing a trio of bacon wraps (ABT's, stuffed figs and stuffed mushrooms), chicken, steak, grilled quesadillas, and grilled vegetables for my vegetarian cousin.

Then there's the salads (potato, macaroni, etc.).

I may grill some fruits and drizzle honey on them for a dessert.

Reading this thread is getting me hungry.

Eric

Kevin
06-30-2010, 06:26 PM
Got a recipe you wouldn't mind sharing for that Kevin?

I intend to put together a post with pictures.

JD McGee
06-30-2010, 07:32 PM
Short ribs...:becky:

bandityo
06-30-2010, 07:37 PM
Baby Back ribs, bratwurst and corn I believe. Followed by ice cream in waffle cones.

david

The Pigman
06-30-2010, 10:23 PM
Will be cooking for 400 people on Sunday. Pull in on sat afternoon and set up camp. Deer chili and metts for those helping set up. The 40 by 120 tent went up today. Dance floor biuld is friday. 2 bands playing. Sunday morning fatty-egg-swiss cheese on a bagel sandwich for breakfast and ribs for lunch. Then the party we are doing 18 ea. 10 lb butts , 120 hamburgers, 200 metts, 150 brats, 160 hotdogs. Fireworks at 10pm. Alot are camping the weekend so up all night munching. monday morning big skillets of eggs, hashbrowns, onions, sausage, leftover meat.

peppasawce
06-30-2010, 10:31 PM
Brisket, Babyback Ribs, and two Chickens

Kevin
06-30-2010, 10:52 PM
Will be cooking for 400 people on Sunday. Pull in on sat afternoon and set up camp. Deer chili and metts for those helping set up. The 40 by 120 tent went up today. Dance floor biuld is friday. 2 bands playing. Sunday morning fatty-egg-swiss cheese on a bagel sandwich for breakfast and ribs for lunch. Then the party we are doing 18 ea. 10 lb butts , 120 hamburgers, 200 metts, 150 brats, 160 hotdogs. Fireworks at 10pm. Alot are camping the weekend so up all night munching. monday morning big skillets of eggs, hashbrowns, onions, sausage, leftover meat.

Sounds like a great plan Roger. Wish I was closer.

FamilyManBBQ
07-01-2010, 01:24 AM
Wagyu Tri-Tip!! :-D:-D

HarryM
07-01-2010, 01:27 AM
Wagyu Tri-Tip!! :-D:-D
Ooh, that sounds good! I may have to scope out Vons for the garden variety tri-tip.

oneIozz
07-01-2010, 01:34 AM
Smoking 4 Butts in addition to locally made Kielbasa and Mettwurst, burgers and I'm even smoking tofu for the vegetarians in the group.

Fat Tire and Miller Lite on tap to boot, so I am pretty stoked!

jacob
07-01-2010, 05:54 AM
9 slabs trimmed sown to St. Louis cuts, stuffed jalapeņos, MOINK BALLS. Been asked to provide the meats for a Dinner Party for 12, Ribs and Chicken so I added it in with my own plans.

Phubar
07-01-2010, 05:57 AM
Woohoo...another excuse to Q!
I love to celibrate foreign national days!:becky:

wannchef
07-01-2010, 08:00 AM
What Holidays do you celebrate in summer Phubar?

boogiesnap
07-01-2010, 10:07 AM
full on comp practice!!!
first full high heat cook, everything except pork.

Typically
07-01-2010, 11:03 AM
I have to bring something over to my buddies party and i'm not totally sure what i want to do yet. first idea was MOINK balls, but i haven't done a shoulder in awhile and could go for some pulled pork sandwiches :D most likely it's going to be a few shoulders to feed the crowd.

Phubar
07-01-2010, 11:12 AM
What Holidays do you celebrate in summer Phubar?

I don't think we have special holidays in the summer except the summer itself.
Last holidays were in May....next holiday is in fall if I'm correct.